PDA

View Full Version : Prop Removal

cham783
08-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Forgive my ignorance but I am fairly new to the inboard scene. I need to remove and replace the prop on my '93 Boomerang. I took the pin and nut off but the prop won't budge. Is there a trick? Do I need some kind of puller or something?

05mobiusxlv
08-17-2005, 12:20 AM
yes, you need a prop puller, its impossible without one. When i pulled mine off, i was surprised how much force it took to pull it off. I borrowed a puller from a friend, but you should be able to buy one at any marine place.

cham783
08-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I hope it doesn't take as much force to put it back on as it does to take it off!

Chad

qb12
08-17-2005, 08:18 AM
cham, make sure you leave the nut on the shaft just a little. otherwise when that prop "pops" off the shaft it will slide down fast and either hit you or the ground.

just a little advice from past expericence.

doug, t-town

jburnside
08-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Make sure you stop the props rotation with a block of wood while you are tightening the prop puller. Be prepared to hit the prop puller pretty good with a hammer to free the prop from the shaft. I normally use a large brass hammer or a ball-peen hammer. Expect to hit it a few times, especially if the prop has not been off in a long time. When you re-assemble make sure you put some grease on the shaft and it should go back together rather easily. Good luck.