PDA

View Full Version : Window vents?

Da Man
08-13-2005, 06:19 AM
I have a 99 Outback Kanga and underneath each of the windows on the bow side is a small vent. I looked underneath to see what it was connected to only to find that the hose that looks like it connects to it was disconnected on both sides. What are these vents for? Are they ventilation for the engine compartment or what? It's been running fine without them attached.

Catdog1
08-13-2005, 06:43 AM
They need to be connected to the floor on both sides. It is a basic design requirement and regulation that an inboard boat must have bilge ventillation, both at rest (fan) and when moving (ducted in this case). (In case of a fuel leak)

You would never know the difference in performance if they were disconnected.

Mine use a flexible hose that has deteriorated and needs replacement. Am looking to use something more durable.

zabooda
08-13-2005, 04:12 PM
I just checked my drivers side vent on my 98 Mobius and the vent tube just drops straight to the floor and stops. It would make sense for the tube to go through to the bildge as the engine compartment has vents that come out the back for flow through ventilation. I pulled the cockpit front panel off yesterday and found my heater core to be leaking. I'm also pulling the heater tube that goes to the observer seat and relocate it by the driver. The tube took up space and didn't provide good heat going all around the front of the boat. I found a good looking cap to replace the air vent at Home Depot. I'll order one of the new type of heater cores on Monday.

Da Man
08-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm gonna have to put some new hoses on mine also. They're not in the best of shape. Later.