PDA

View Full Version : 2011 LSV Ballast System Winterization

chaneya
10-26-2012, 02:13 PM
I've noticed that on the older LSV's, the pumps and strainer were right at the intakes beside the v-drive. On my 2011, there's only valves. The pumps and strainer seem to be at the stern somewhere behind the engine. Has anyone winterized this setup? Any advice? I'm a little stumped.

mmandley
10-26-2012, 02:27 PM
I've noticed that on the older LSV's, the pumps and strainer were right at the intakes beside the v-drive. On my 2011, there's only valves. The pumps and strainer seem to be at the stern somewhere behind the engine. Has anyone winterized this setup? Any advice? I'm a little stumped.

All you do to winterize the ballast system is turn it on <forward or reverse> for a couple second to clear any water from the pumps. Then unhook the bags, and if your storing the boat outside i would close the valve at the threw hull.

Other wise if its inside you can leave it open

wolfeman131
10-26-2012, 02:32 PM
The 2011 has the reversible pumps. They are mounted to a board behind a panel at the rear of the port locker.

For winterization, it depends on how cold it gets/how over the top you want to go. Most secure would be to pull some antifreeze thru the system. You would do this by pulling the intake hoses off the thru hulls and sticking them in a bucket of antifreeze, flick the switch and run for a few min.

I'd bet you could get by tho with just pulling all the bags and then switching the pump to empty for a few minutes to get the water out.

Others may be able to better answer or give more ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hans
10-26-2012, 09:29 PM
I removed the ballast fitting on one bag ( the fitting that connects to the fill and empty hose) I connected a swimming pool hose to the threads on the fitting, I connected the fitting to the filling hose, I filled the swimming pool hose with antifreeze and I turned the switch to "empty". I can saw the antifreeze falling on the ground under the boat. I did it for each bags.

I think it should be ok

lsvboombox
10-26-2012, 09:31 PM
I unhook the hoses at the pumps and use a high volume air pump to blow out the lines

Boonejeepin
10-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Last year I pulled each pump's impeller. All if them were virtually dry. Nothing to speak of that would freeze.

I do pull all the bags out of the boat, fold them, and store them in a trash can to keep them safe in the garage.

Your mileage may vary.

mmandley
10-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Honestly my only concern with pumping antifreeze in the ballast system is when you summerize if that gets in the bags? Also antifreeze isnt meant to sit idle, its meant to be cycles threw and im wondering if longer tern sitting would cause it to break down and cause slime or sludge build up?

IDK im just talking here throwing Murpheys law around.

I know its a lot colder in Canada then in the PNW but here the Boat dealers just make sure to remove all water then nothing to freeze. None of them im aware of use antifreeze as a freeze prevention method.

chaneya
10-27-2012, 07:32 PM
This is good info. Thanks all.

wolfeman131
10-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Honestly my only concern with pumping antifreeze in the ballast system is when you summerize if that gets in the bags? Also antifreeze isnt meant to sit idle, its meant to be cycles threw and im wondering if longer tern sitting would cause it to break down and cause slime or sludge build up?

IDK im just talking here throwing Murpheys law around.

I know its a lot colder in Canada then in the PNW but here the Boat dealers just make sure to remove all water then nothing to freeze. None of them im aware of use antifreeze as a freeze prevention method.

Mike, I don't think you have anything to worry about if you use this stuff as it's even safe for drinking water systems in RV's. Atlanta Marine uses something like this when winterizing motors here. Is biodegradable also so supposed to be safe for you to start up in the summer right on the lake.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_11151_10001_442421_-1____ProductDisplayErrorView#.UI2KLmt5mSM

Regardless, I think for the ballast system the suggestions from others of just making sure you get the water out will be OK.

mmandley
10-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Mike, I don't think you have anything to worry about if you use this stuff as it's even safe for drinking water systems in RV's. Atlanta Marine uses something like this when winterizing motors here. Is biodegradable also so supposed to be safe for you to start up in the summer right on the lake.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_11151_10001_442421_-1____ProductDisplayErrorView#.UI2KLmt5mSM

Regardless, I think for the ballast system the suggestions from others of just making sure you get the water out will be OK.

Thats some pretty cool looking stuff. I can see it being good for everything.

I am just leary about telling anyone its ok to use Antifreeze for there ballast system. I can just see it now, June comes around and some one on the forum is complaining they used Anti freeze on there ballast system and now all the hoses and bags are slimmy and stink and its getting on the carpets. Because they used standard automotive Antifreeze LOL

Anytime i reccomend or say a product is good for something i try to consider some of my friends that would always pick the cheapest route and if this might cause or harm something down the road i dont want to be the one they look at and say well you said i should do it Mike LOL

jmvotto
10-31-2012, 09:28 PM
I use the rv antifreeze to winterize the lake house,you can get it at any local hardware store, Wally's and target.
Drain everything then add the rv antifreeze to the drain traps, washing machine and dishwasher . Works like a charm.
Should not be a problem in ballast system ...