PDA

View Full Version : Pro Charger Question.

Jet
10-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Since the day that I have turned the juice on to my charger, except for that day alone,,I have not seen it charging once?? The blue light stays on 100% of the time?? This is after leaving amps on and leds for long period of times. Im confused on this one. Jet

sandm
10-23-2012, 03:37 PM
can't answer your question as I have just installed mine and have not turned it on yet, but I will say that is a very clean install :)

chawk610
10-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Not trying to hi-jack Jet... but what is the function of these? Are they needed if you have 2 or more batteries?

MLA
10-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Jet,

If you have a digital multi-meter, its easy to see the charger working. Unplug the chargers 110V A/C cable, turn your stereo on and take voltage reading from which ever battery is supplying the stereo. Now, leave it playing for about 10-15, or a little longer if time permits. When you return, take another voltage reading. The 2nd should be lower then the first. Now, plug the chargers A/C cable back in and watch the volt meter. You should see the voltage start to climb, indicating that the charger has sensed the battery is down and needs charging.

I would also double check to make sure your charger is set for the correct type of battery you have. This could color coated inserts that need to be swapped.

Chawk,

A battery tender/maintainer can be great for any boat that has a long winters nap or sits for extended time during the season. The size or number of batteries doesnt matter in this as its more about keeping the batteries conditioned while not in use.

Now, for those with heavy load stereos and large amp hour stereo banks, a charger is almost a must in order to replenish the batteries after each use. Reason being is that alternators make for poor battery chargers. It takes a lot of run time for an alternator to recharge a depleted bank of batteries. A charger works much more efficient and while the boat rests in its home spot.

Jet
10-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks sandm. I am back to work on her finally. Chawk610..its a pro charger just plug it in when you get home and it keeps the batts topped of and cycles them. I have had batteries go dead from just sittng and this keeps them active and charged 100%. With the stereos we are putting in our boats now days its a must have! If you take your boat out sat-sun you can bring your boat home with the batteries 1/2 charged or worse then if you go back out sunday your starting the day off with low batteries..this cures those kind of probs. Jet

parrothd
10-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Use a voltmeter and see if the batteries are charged...

zabooda
10-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Every battery maintainer I have had will go into a charge when a substantial load is turned on. With no loads, I never see it in the charge mode except when it is first connected.