PDA

View Full Version : Speed for 9-year old

smokedog2
08-10-2005, 10:46 PM
My son is trying to get some air and getting discouraged with repeated face plants. I am running about 16 mph. I took his bindings and put them on my board, he had good bindings but the board was a POS. I think my board is lighter. He has not run wiht this setup yet. I am also thinking about slowing down to about 12 MPH. Any suggestions - other than spend yet another $400.

SD2

stang67
08-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Dont speed the extra $400 dollars, Theres no need. Try keeping the 16mph to get used to riding faster. He can learn to jump from the inside out. Start directly behind the boat and use a progressive edge over the wake. This will teach him the impoartance of a progressive edge. Make sure all your ballast is empty so where he rides is a clean wake with no white wash. Make sure he is jumping on his heelside. Therefor making it easier to land. If he is still afraid of faceplanting have him let go of his back hand. This is keep his shoulders lined up with the boat. Other than that it is just practice. Make sure he doesnt just try to go all out. Remember start out with small jumps and build to bigger jumps. There is no need to really cut out hard away from the wake. All that needs to be done would be to start out from 5feet from the wake. Alright I'm rambling but you get the point. If you dont understand just say so. ill try to explain better. hope it helps

Eric

stang67
08-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Alright i was over at wakeworld.com (great forum for wakeboarding info) and found this that summed up what i was trying to say.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3184/245856.html?1123719854

Hope that helps

Livindadream
08-11-2005, 08:38 AM
I pull my 8 year old at 18. I tried the slower speeds, but he had no stability. Once we sped up, he was going wake-wake the same day. May be backward thinking, but it worked for us.

Yellowmobius
08-11-2005, 08:40 AM
I have recently purchased one of those portable 9 inch screen dvd players and the waketrix dvd along with the higher education dvd. I take the dvd player on the boat and use it between sets. You get some great ideas for you and anyone you have with. The hop in hop out drill is great for beginners, builds confidence and will lessen the face plants on wake to wake.

Livindadream
08-11-2005, 08:40 AM
I pull my 8 year old at 18. I tried the slower speeds, but he had no stability. Once we sped up, he was going wake-wake the same day. May be backward thinking, but it worked for us.

qb12
08-11-2005, 09:58 AM
smokedog2,

i started my 11 year old son on a pos hydroslide 180spin. he was getting some pretty decent air with it but it had NO edge control and was doing the face plants.

i bought him a hyperlite state 130 with some awesome rails and a lot more rocker to it along with bindings that i wish i could get my feet into.

anyway know his is clearing the wakes at about 17 mph in my little outback. he is also working on his 360 spins.

i know you don't want to drop more cash but that size should last him for a few years at least. my girlfriend even rides that board and love it.

doug, t-town

BLKOUTLS
08-11-2005, 01:12 PM
sd2
Is your son reg. or goofy footed when he rides?. A couple things we found really helped our kids was stance on the board. Is his leading foot straight on the board or ducked out, same for his trailing foot ? Ducked seemed better for control. Binding placement on the board we found a touch tail heavy added to control and stability. When they used a progressive edge riding with a little mor weight on the back it really helped the learning curve. hope this helps.

chris

smokedog2
08-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks all,

A boys weekend at the lake is scheduled next week. I printed this thread and the linked thread. we'll see what we can do.