PDA

View Full Version : Moomba LSV as a cross over

c5er
10-17-2012, 07:22 AM
I am looking at moving from an I/O to an V-drive. The wakebording will be much better. Tubing I would expect to really not be impacted except for the LSV's ability to turn more sharply. What About skiing/Slalom? While I know its not a LSV highpoint will skiing be any worse than behind the 21ft I/O? We are talking all entry level or starters to skiing.

moombadaze
10-17-2012, 07:28 AM
We are talking all entry level or starters to skiing.

you will be just fine. nice upgrade.

wolfeman131
10-17-2012, 08:38 AM
you will be just fine. nice upgrade.

Agreed.

Now, get rid of the tube & buy a Wakesurf board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mmandley
10-17-2012, 10:10 AM
I agree with the above guys, i have a good friend who only water skies once or twice a year and prefers to do it behind out LSV vs his I/O.

Mostly because the LSV pulls him out of the water so fast he doesnt get as tired from the slow drag pulls.

The LSV can turn pretty fast, not near as fast as an I/O but what your tubers will like is when you whip them aross the wake and back in they will get a lot better bounce because the wave is larger.

The key to turning a V drive fast is dont do it too sharp and add throttle as you enter the turn and let off the throttle as you leave the turn. The biggest problem with turning the V trive pulling a tuber is you really shouldnt be doing more then 21mph pulling a tuber and thats right on the edge of a V drive planning out where it runs faster on the water.

I personally think the LSV is an excellent upgrade from a I/O

Boonejeepin
10-17-2012, 10:44 AM
I have had no regrets moving to a V drive from my Sea Ray 185 Sport IO.

The Sea Ray was a great boat but I have more fun behind the V Drive than I had in the Sea Ray. I drove the Sea Ray, now I want to be pulled all the time behind the V drive and the wife is the real driver.

kaneboats
10-17-2012, 11:18 AM
No contest. We hear this all the time on here. Most of the guys end up getting their DD or Vdrive before too long. I have never heard once of anyone going back to an I/O.

c5er
10-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the replys, I has thought it was fine, but started getting worried I will get grief from the family if skiing or tubing is compromised. I am really looking forward to the v-drive. too bad i have to wait until next years to use it.

does anyone have a measurement of water line to top of OZ tower, trying to see if i can get into the lift w/o lowering the tower, except for longer term parking when I want to lift it higher.

c5er
10-17-2012, 02:54 PM
I think I will definitely look into wake surfing, we have west coast surfer relatives that come to town over summer, and they love the wake boarding and I bet would love the wake surfing.

wolfeman131
10-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Here is a pic of my Mojo on the lift with the tower up. I've never lowered the tower. Those 6x6 posts are 8 ft.

Had a few per-2013 LSV's on that lift too, without folding the tower. My guess is that you will be fine.

moombadaze
10-17-2012, 03:15 PM
skiing or tubing is compromised.

only thing any of them will notice is the lack of a outdrive sticking out the backside of the boat. That prop being tucked way up under the boat is a good thing, espesially when swimming around the boat. Have no fears, everyone will say why did you not get one a long time ago.

Mikey
10-17-2012, 08:59 PM
As a skier foremost,if your coming from a 21 ft I/O to a LSV should be similar if not slightly better. You will notice it has more POP unless your I/O has Big power. It ,s definetely a skiable boat,more suited to everything Else mentioned . If you really want to ski ,Outback DD is definetely the best way to go or there are a few DECENT skiing Vdrives out there.
LSV is a very versatile boat,nice all round boat,coming from a SKIERS standpoint.

rdlangston13
10-17-2012, 09:32 PM
I agree with the above guys, i have a good friend who only water skies once or twice a year and prefers to do it behind out LSV vs his I/O.

Mostly because the LSV pulls him out of the water so fast he doesnt get as tired from the slow drag pulls.

The LSV can turn pretty fast, not near as fast as an I/O but what your tubers will like is when you whip them aross the wake and back in they will get a lot better bounce because the wave is larger.

The key to turning a V drive fast is dont do it too sharp and add throttle as you enter the turn and let off the throttle as you leave the turn. The biggest problem with turning the V trive pulling a tuber is you really shouldnt be doing more then 21mph pulling a tuber and thats right on the edge of a V drive planning out where it runs faster on the water.

I personally think the LSV is an excellent upgrade from a I/O

If you have a speed based cruise control it takes care of the adding throttle and letting off throttle for you. And my boat plains out waaaayyyyyy before 21 mph....

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

mmandley
10-17-2012, 09:37 PM
If you have a speed based cruise control it takes care of the adding throttle and letting off throttle for you. And my boat plains out waaaayyyyyy before 21 mph....

Im glad yours planes out waaayyyyy before 21 but mine doesnt. It tends to start leveling off ar 18 but at 20-21 is when it fully planes out. If you set the cruise at 21 and then drop to 19-20 it will start to fall off and lose plane. IDK maybe its the 3 batteries, big amps i have or my extra insulation i carry that makes my boat heavier and planes out a couple MPH later then yours.

I will say i have never seen an LSV plane before 18...so 21 itsnt that fare off..

wolfeman131
10-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Mike,

Good list you made, but what about the 8k or so in ballast? :)

Oh, and it ain't your boat no more.

mmandley
10-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Mike,

Good list you made, but what about the 8k or so in ballast? :)

Oh, and it ain't your boat no more.

Yea i know, i was pulling the rest of the ballast bags out today, cleaning and waxing her again. Was kinda sad, she will only be in my care for 10 more days.

I did talk to Shane Stillman today..Mojo...humm...Someone is really pushing to get that thing hooked to my rig LOL

rdlangston13
10-17-2012, 09:47 PM
I have 3 batteries and amps on mine. I would say I am up on plan around 16-17, the nose is still a little high but it's not plowing any more, when I get around 30-35 the thing runs way flat, like it's sitting still but scooten!