PDA

View Full Version : Attic Project

deerfield
10-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Since moving into our house ten years ago, the attic has been nothing but dark, dusty, dangerous, unused space with a mangle of cloth wrapped wiring draped over joists. House was built in the 30s. Three weeks ago with guidance from a journeyman electrician we began the process of rewiring the second floor to clean up the attic. Biggest challenge was pulling wire up from the service panel in the basement. Second biggest challenge was hauling plywood sheathing from Home Depot up to the attic. Project was completed yesterday with installation of an attic ladder. Take a look. We now have lots of lighting, 600 square feet of storage space, and an exhaust fan to help moderate temperature in the summer. Even put electrical outlets up there for future convenience. Looking forward to gathering up clutter from around the house and putting it up in the attic!

ian ashton
10-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Nice! My house was built in 1926 and has a very similar attic to what you started with. In our neighborhood it's really common for people to covert the attic into living space; if we weren't selling the house an attic renovation was one (of many) future projects.

Nothing beats the character and individuality of older houses; so much craftsmanship and effort when into construction back then, now it's just wham bam drywall and done.

E4NASH
10-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
10-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Great upgrade!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kaneboats
10-15-2012, 10:15 AM
I've heard that crap about craftsmanship too many times. You know, before power tools they use to make sure and cut it a little short every time so they wouldn't have to make every cut (manually) a second time. Those old houses are full of shims. While it's true there are some examples of fine craftsmanship, many of the cheaper houses were just that: cheapo crap as bad as or worse than you see today.

Anyway, looks like a great job on the space. You can never have enough storage in a house. We almost bought a house last spring that had multiple extra closets on every level. It was brilliant and the boss loved it but it was unfinished and the material costs were a little too high to make it the right deal. Loved the storage ideas they had and the 3 1/2 car garage on that one though.