PDA

View Full Version : Climate Control Winterization Question?

EBRMOOMBA
10-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Quick question for you guys. Does your boat still need winterized if your putting it in a climate controlled storage unit?

parrothd
10-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Quick question for you guys. Does your boat still need winterized if your putting it in a climate controlled storage unit?

What happens when the power is out?? .. :)

deerfield
10-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Does your boat still need winterized if your putting it in a climate controlled storage unit?

Yes. Need to change oil and filter, as well as add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank, regardless of the environment in which it is stored for winter/off season.

jester
10-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Like Stuart said you need to do a few things, oils, fuel stabilizer. I would also do two more things. Pull the two plugs on the engine and if you have a heater or shower blow out the lines going too them. If the power goes out two plugs and two hoses(If you have a heater or shower) are simple insurance. The heater and shower will crack before the engine block does.

maxpower220
10-12-2012, 04:11 PM
I would also pull the impeller. Leaving it in one position for a long time will distort it and I believe shortens overall lifespan of it.

Since you have to do so many other things, draining the water it easy.

EBRMOOMBA
10-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys. I already did everything suggested, just wasn't sure if it was necessary to run anti-freeze and fog the engine and all that stuff.

And Parrothd, to your point, the boat will be in an underground mine in a climate controlled section of it, so if the power goes out the temp still stays at 55 degrees.

Boonejeepin
10-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Antifreeze is not a must if the water is drained.

I would fog the engine though to prevent internal corrosion. If you have a catalyzed engine you will need to pull each spark plug, squirt in some fogging oil, turn the engine over a a couple of seconds and reinstall the spark plugs. This is a good time to check the gap on the old plugs or replace with new plugs in the spring after initial startup allowing the fogging oil to burn off with the old plugs installed still.

Boonejeepin
10-13-2012, 02:22 PM
So basically, still winterize it to protect the motor and to have peace if mind.

parrothd
10-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks guys. I already did everything suggested, just wasn't sure if it was necessary to run anti-freeze and fog the engine and all that stuff.

And Parrothd, to your point, the boat will be in an underground mine in a climate controlled section of it, so if the power goes out the temp still stays at 55 degrees.

Just making sure... :)