PDA

View Full Version : STINKING CARPET

Gharvin
08-08-2005, 08:55 AM
Don't laugh, but my carpet stinks!!! My 05 outback has suffered some wet carpet in it's two month life. I steam cleaned the carpet Friday and took the boat out Saturday and got it wet and now it stinks again. I used febreeze after I steam cleaned it to no avail. Any tricks to get rid of the musty smell...my garage now has the musty smell of wet carpet from the boat and it is driving me crazy.

Buttafewcoe
08-08-2005, 09:32 AM
If possible, leave it in the sun a couple days covering it at night to keep the dew out. UV rays should kill the bacteria causing the odor.
Hope this helps
Butta

Yellowmobius
08-08-2005, 10:26 AM
I throw a fan in my boat every night.

qb12
08-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Gharvin, After reading your post I knew I had seen something in one of my mags at home. After getting home from work I looks thru them and finally found a product that might work well.

I saw it in waterski mag and it is called DampRid. I don't know where to get it but I am sure if you go to google and put that in you can find something. It is designed to get the moist after of your boat and give it a better smell.

Hope it works for you.

Doug, t-town

Catdog1
08-08-2005, 08:24 PM
We vac the carpet when dry, then hose the carpet to get it wet, then mix a cup or cup 1/2 of Gain or Tide with about 1/2 cup bleach in a 5 gallon pail and distribute it evenly across the wet carpet. Once a year we mix a little more and do the lockers as well.

Then, we scrub the carpet with bristle brushes, let it sit an hour, then rinse with copius amounts of water.

Then, we wet-vac and let dry.

smokedog2
08-10-2005, 09:47 PM
are you sure about the bleach? I would think that would eat carpet - or at least make it very white.

SD2

Catdog1
08-10-2005, 10:53 PM
No, not sure about degradation long term. You are right.

On the other hand, it solved the problem for us. Like washing a load of clothes.

08-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I had the same problem with my lsv took it to the local car was and used the high power washer on the carpets. first with soap and then rinsed with alot of water works better than scrubbing or steam cleaning.

04moblsv
08-19-2005, 04:15 PM
I had the same problem with my lsv took it to the local car was and used the high power washer on the carpets. first with soap and then rinsed with alot of water works better than scrubbing or steam cleaning.

Buttafewcoe
09-01-2005, 06:23 AM
Catdog1,
I tried your method yesterday, but I left out the bleach part. I was very pleased with the results. The effort wasn't exactly cut and paste, but the outcome made it look dang near new again. Thanks
Butta