PDA

View Full Version : Power Turns

smokedog2
10-06-2012, 10:46 AM
If you do not know what they are, good. If you do, I run with two Supras and a Mommba, mine. One of us looooves to do power turns. Guess which one has to have his engine totally pulled and re-centered to stop busting the prop shaft coupling (after 7 years)?

For those read in, I didn't make it behind the boat this year. I'm not winterized and have a dry suit but I'm not hopeful. I am back to work full time and I'm back under the knife Dec 11th.

Remember, with your very best day at work, Uncle takes half. A pretty good day at the lake, you get it all and usually get to share as well.

Also keep in mind - "weekends, use them or lose them." And I don't mean yard work.

SD2

maxpower220
10-06-2012, 11:01 AM
On my first boat, I liked to do power turns. After the rudder housing broke at the weld and I couldn't steer very well, I got it rebrazed. That didn't last, so I had a new one built out of stainless. No more issues, but I only did power turns a few times a year after that.

I hae an excuse, they used to do it at every show at Cypress Gardens.

mmandley
10-06-2012, 11:54 AM
WOW wouldnt think it would do that kind of damage but makes since. The only time we ever turn the boat fast like that is after someone falls and a boat is comming right for them, or they wave us for help because they fell and got hurt.

This year i got hurt wake skating and wouldnt swim with 1 arm. Shulder injury i didnt want them power turning so i waited till they were close and yelled to help me because i only had 1 arm to swim with LOL.

Ian Brantford
10-09-2012, 12:37 PM
The habit is so objectionable that there is a Web site about it:

http://nopowerturns.com/

jester
10-12-2012, 02:33 PM
The bad thing is if you talk to someone and tell them how power turns screw up the water for everyone they get pissed off at you and do it more.

tnbrooks01
10-12-2012, 03:49 PM
The bad thing is if you talk to someone and tell them how power turns screw up the water for everyone they get pissed off at you and do it more.

That's why I keep the shovel in my boat!

10-12-2012, 11:20 PM
LOL Todd, reminds me of the CWBTV commercial: "Power turns are useless, as are the people who do them"!

https://vimeo.com/31761925

beat taco
10-13-2012, 06:29 PM
"I know it's hard to understand, that's because you're slow!"

Good times!

DOCDRS
10-13-2012, 11:44 PM
He is talking wot power turns, not skier down power turns.

tnbrooks01
10-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Either way what I'm getting out of it is both are useless. One screws up your boat and the other screws up the water. Friends don't let friends do power turns. ;)

usaski1
10-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Maybe i'm not trying hard enough, or maybe I don't want to, but doesn't seem the outback spins very well. My last boat did, but the OB, not so much.