PDA

View Full Version : Impeller pump housing

rsinger
10-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Just started winterizing. Tried to get impeller pump cover off, to drain the impeller and check it's condition, and found that one of the bolts is different and rusted in place. I managed to get it off, but found the threads in the housing pretty rusted. I tried to thread one of the original bolts in but found that it was starting to strip the threads.

Better safe than sorry. The pump is off now and I'm looking for a new housing.

Anyone know the best place to buy one. I'm north of the border, but some of our relatives are going south for the winter, so it can be shipped there.

motosno963
10-01-2012, 08:54 PM
i bought mine off a site..let me see where i bought mine at..what motor do you have

rsinger
10-01-2012, 09:29 PM
i bought mine off a site..let me see where i bought mine at..what motor do you have

Let me guess. That's an "indmar" hint. I'll take a look see.

motosno963
10-01-2012, 10:27 PM
well to me if its the small cover, it has the small bolt(im thinking here..i might be wrong haha) and i dont know if they make a tap that small..they might..im at work so i cant check my tap set

rsinger
10-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Have you considered getting a tap and cleaning up the threads? If that does not work you can always drill and tap the next thread size up or you could use a helicoil to repair the thread to the original size. Either of those options would cost less and give a good trouble free thread. If you enlarge the thread you will also have to enlarge the clearance hole on the cover. Make sure that you replace the screws with brass. DO NOT use steel... it sounds like some one else has and that is probably why you have rust... and why the screw was stuck.

Yup. Still thinking about it. I was actually considering reaming out the hole to get rid of the rust and re-tap it. Just worried that I'll get too close to the inner wall. I guess the previous owner lost one of the bolts and replaced it with anything that fit Of course it wasn't brass. It's surprising how much galvanic corrosion will rust the metal.

I've got enough projects on the go and I think I'm going to bite the bullet on this one. I actually found the manufacturer and part number on the lid and managed to find a couple of pumps for a reasonable price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHNSON-10-24232-1-F6B-9-SEA-PUMP-INDMAR-10-248050-1-/120686330130 $192.99

http://www.marinepartssource.com/newdetails.asp?pnumber=JP10242321&mfg=Johnson%20Pump&mcat1=1&mcat2=0&mcat3=0&category=&mfgcategory=Flexible%20Impeller%20Bronze%20Water%2 0Pumps&mfgno=10-24232-1 $163.30

motosno963
10-01-2012, 10:52 PM
i either bought a fuel pump or the water pump from skidim.com..but if the price is cheaper on marine parts then im guessing that where i bought mine