PDA

View Full Version : Winterization question

loudsubz
10-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Do you guys pour plumbing antifreeze (red stuff) through the engine after it has benn drained and winterized etc? I would do this on my old Mercruiser in my ski boat. I had read about doing this on a forum a few times. Thought process behind it, was the antifreeze would push out any water in the engine and replace it if there was some spots where the water would get stuck and not completely drain 100%. Since the plumbing antifreeze wouldn't expand as much as water would you would be a little safe if there was some liquid still in the engine somewhere.

deerfield
10-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Loudsubz - That's the logic behind my incorporating antifreeze in the winterizatiin of my Outback. Winter can be brutal with days of sub zero weather here in the Chicago area. I use RV eco friendly anti freeze. - Deerfield

sandm
10-01-2012, 11:23 AM
depends on where you store it. I never added it to mine as it was stored indoors. if it's stored outdoors for the winter, I'd run the stuff through the engine.

as long as you drain all the hoses, the block and the exhaust manifold, any residual water should not expand enough to crack anything. 5 years and never an issue with mine.

parrothd
10-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Loudsubz - That's the logic behind my incorporating antifreeze in the winterizatiin of my Outback. Winter can be brutal with days of sub zero weather here in the Chicago area. I use RV eco friendly anti freeze. - Deerfield

Ditto, it's cheap insurance...

saskie99
10-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Same here, cheap insurance and piece of mind for me on cold winter nights!

loudsubz
10-01-2012, 07:16 PM
ok with that said, how do you guys add it to the system? On my old mercruiser I used to remove the Tstat on top of the block and pour it in until it came out of the engine freeze plugs and the raw water tube.

parrothd
10-01-2012, 07:40 PM
ok with that said, how do you guys add it to the system? On my old mercruiser I used to remove the Tstat on top of the block and pour it in until it came out of the engine freeze plugs and the raw water tube.

Makes it really easy, but I'm cheap... :)
http://www.go2marine.com/product/93034F/perko-flush-pro-marine-engine-flushing-winterizing-valve-kit.html

I haven't winterized a moomba before but I'll probably just remove the water intake line and connect it to a bucket with the water & RV anti freeze in it, or if use the fake a lake with said bucket, then drain everything..

motosno963
10-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Makes it really easy, but I'm cheap... :)
http://www.go2marine.com/product/93034F/perko-flush-pro-marine-engine-flushing-winterizing-valve-kit.html

I haven't winterized a moomba before but I'll probably just remove the water intake line and connect it to a bucket with the water & RV anti freeze in it, or if use the fake a lake with said bucket, then drain everything..i had one of those on my 04 when i got my boat..some how there was a little water left in it and it cracked over the winter..glued it in the spring and it held till the next winter..so over this summer i replaced it with a pvc pipe i made at lowes to fill the gap..might get another one again and maybe just pull it out during the winter so it doesnt crack again..or do like said above

jmvotto
10-01-2012, 09:40 PM
I think Deerfield designed this from my memory but the pics are all in "Lake Clermont". But here is a video of Viking doing the pre winterizing t stat warm up. Then I assume he switches to 5 gallons antifreeze...Like Stuart did.
Somebody correct me if I am off base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DilR2Yyu-K0

Hoopskier
10-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Another +1 for adding RV/Marine antifreeze here.

I drain my by hand. Pulling block drain plugs, hose clamps, and pulling hoses. Some compressed air to help things along.

To fill with antifreeze, 2 bolts to take thermostat housing off intake manifold and pour in. Re-attatch. I found a gasket local, $1.25 in auto parts.

Not that difficult or time consuming on my direct driver. Maybe more work on a V-Drive.

DOCDRS
10-01-2012, 11:42 PM
You do not have to take off the Tstat. Just pull the J hose and fill the engine from there. Saves the gasket and leaking around the tstat. If you pull the 2 block plugs and wire them out to make sure there is no rust preventing drainage you do not have to use antifreeze. The antifreeze is for piece of mind , but more so maybe some corrosion protection. You still have to drain your exhaust manifolds and again , I like to make sure each side drains, as well as your vdrive , impeller assembly and heater core(although the antifreeze is good for this)