PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive vs DD

tgoody14
09-28-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm purdy sure I've got my mind made up, but would like you guys' input!

I've already listed my 04 Outback Direct Drive on several sites trying to sell it so I can make the switch to a Moomba V-drive.

I just bought the boat in June and completely decked it out with a custom top, new sound system, new wakeboard prop, and LED lights all over (thanks to you guys). I absolutely love it and it does everything I need it to do, but after riding in my buddy's v-drive on Labor Day it seemed so much more comfortable and less crowded without that engine in the middle.
We mainly wakeboard, surf/buggy board, and the occasional tube session for the girls. With that being said, the main reason I bought a DD in the first place was because they are just less expensive.

The boat only has 104 hours and is in pristine condition. Original owner never used it, 55 hrs in 8 yrs...

My question for you guys is have any of you made the switch and regretted it or do y'all have any tips/advice/input you can share!?

I feel like I just put my kid up for adoption by listing it on the Internet...

Thanks in advance,
Taylor

E4NASH
09-28-2012, 10:06 AM
I had an '05 LS and sold it at the end of last summer. We bought a '11 LSV this year and I wouldn't go back. The V is just soo much better. Has more storage and has more room. It's much more social as with the DD there was no flow to the enteriror. Seemed like everyone was separated. The DD seemed really crowded and my wife hated how the motorbox was right in the way. The DD is best suited for skiing...we don't do ANY skiing so the LSV was the best choice for us. For what you describe you are ABSOLUTELY making the right decision.

kaneboats
09-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Almost every one of us went through the same thing for the same reasons. Got the Outback as a "do everything" boat. But, because we really aren't tournament slalom skiers and started wakeboarding and surfing a lot more the V-drive had tremendous appeal. Once the wife rode in one with 8-10 people she was sold and that was that. Combine the space with the exceptional utility plus value of the LSV and there was just no other choice. I could never and would never go back.

04OUTBACK
09-28-2012, 10:18 AM
04 outback was my first as well..

what do i miss about the outback? it was fun/nimble to drive..

i went to an LSV then a 21V.. I do not slalom so best i can tell, you arent looking for a slalom boat....so you'll love it.

storage, seating, ease of ballast setup... on and on.. #WINNING

tgoody14
09-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Awesome! That's good to hear, eases my mind about selling her and thanks for the input. Sounds like we're all on the same page.

So I guess my next question would be which v-drive to upgrade to? What's the best year/model/hull for wakeboarding/surfing/lounging (in that order)?

I've seen some nice 2008 LSVs here in TX online for 35-38k. I probably wouldn't want to go over that and obviously would have to get this one sold first.

E4NASH
09-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Awesome! That's good to hear, eases my mind about selling her and thanks for the input. Sounds like we're all on the same page.

So I guess my next question would be which v-drive to upgrade to? What's the best year/model/hull for wakeboarding/surfing/lounging (in that order)?

I've seen some nice 2008 LSVs here in TX online for 35-38k. I probably wouldn't want to go over that and obviously would have to get this one sold first.

Can't go wrong with an '06+ LSV!

04OUTBACK
09-28-2012, 11:04 AM
06- current LSV's all have the same lower hull (13s have an upper hull change).
There is a GREAT 2008 in classifieds .. its in Oregon, but dont be scared to ship a boat.. I bought my 21V from portland and shipped it to NY..
Its hard to beat the LSV for money.. easy to upgrade ballast, etc..
I had no complaints about my LSV, upgraded because i just get itchy for a new toy every once in a while... and found the deal on the 21v..
the Outback V's are nice hulls, but you'll enjoy the additional freeboard of the LSV.. and the room. plus the beefier tower .. XLV's are nice.. some folks complain about clean wake at slower speeds, etc... i think you just have to figure out a few things on weight setup with them. JMVOTTO has a new 12 XLV and loves...
easy to get a great wake or surf wake out of LSV without going crazy on weight.

wtstapel
09-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Can someone describe how significant the difference is for a slalom skier with regards to the V-Drive vs. the Direct Drive?
I don't run a course, but I'd like to some day. But, I'd also much prefer the room that the V provides as we like to bring a decent group.

TIA

lewisb13
09-28-2012, 12:31 PM
V drive has the engine in the far rear of the boat to kick up a bigger wake

rca
09-28-2012, 12:36 PM
We bought a new 2011 LSV this summer, June I think, and have 110 hours on it already. My wife is primarily a slalom skier and she loves the boat. Now mind you we had an I/O before that, but she has skied behind many DD's through the years. The perfect setup would be a house on the lake with 2 docks and a DD and a V Drive, but that's not in the cards. So we decided to get the LSV because we do everything, slalom, wakeboarding, kneeboarding and surfing. We absolutely love this boat. Lots of space and everything just works well.

We got out at least once a week and we usually have at least 4 people that slalom. We generally run between 28-33 mph depending on the level of ability of the skier. At 32-33 the wake is pretty small. Not DD small, but pretty doable. My wife skied for her school team in college and she is OK with it. To me that means if you aren't a competitive slalom skier you probably don't need the DD. The V Drive gives you so much more opportunity and it is capable of great wakes for wakeboarding, kneeboarding and surfing.

It's amazing how much fun surfing is too after a day of 32mph skiing and beating myself up on the wakeboard. It's nice to have a big wave you can just cruise on, but still tear up a bit if you want too.

I say V Drive all the way.

kaneboats
09-28-2012, 12:57 PM

If I were in the market I would immediately contact mmandley and buy his boat. It has to be the best deal out there. Meticulously maintained, extremely well equipped and priced right. In TX, I'd go get it. From FL, I'd ship it.

mfogt
09-28-2012, 12:58 PM
I grew up a slalom skier(behind an old Four Winns Deck Boat) and never new what I was missing with a DD ski boat. If you want to competively run a course, go with a DD. That being said, I have a '12 LSV(originally had an '04 LSV) and love it for everything it offers. In recent years I ski a lot less and wakeboard/pull tubers a lot more. I do still ski and run the course with it, but recognize I am not going to have a very good pass due to the bump in the middle. When I want to go hard at the course I go with my buddy who has a MC Prostar 197.

Keep in mind that if you plan to ski when out with other people in your boat, it will change the ski performance of a DD as well. So....If you plan to go out with only 2 friends each time and focus on skiing, go with the DD. Otherwise you will get more enjoyment out of a V-drive.

skiyaker
09-28-2012, 12:59 PM
As a guy who owns both a DD and a V-Drive- I gotta say I love this topic!
After I became addicted to the course I went to trade my VDrive in for an Outback DD, but after looking at the depreciation and cost involved as well as other tradeoffs mentioned above I decided to use the $ instead to get a dedicated course boat (2001 closed bow Nautique) and keep my Moomba for the main lake. I agree with what has been said about the layout- I still love the layout and storage of the V drive, and I'll gladly ski behind it in open water.

Can someone describe how significant the difference is for a slalom skier with regards to the V-Drive vs. the Direct Drive?
I don't run a course, but I'd like to some day. But, I'd also much prefer the room that the V provides as we like to bring a decent group.

TIA

The DD has a few advantages over the V-Drive when it comes to the course. The first is the wake. Don't get me wrong the OBV is very skiable especially at faster speeds, but for learning the course the DD is much better. Since I bought the Nautique I've become quite a wake snob- I'm willing to complain about the wake behind some perfectly good tournament boats.
Secondly is tracking. With the DD the slalom pylon is located just in front of the engine toward the center of the boat, so it's much easier to drive through the course with a skier pulling on it. And this year I've come to appreciate how much a good boat path can affect the skier- if as the skier you pull the boat off course you feel an inconsistent line load and screws everything up when it comes to skiing the course- again not a big deal in open water.

motosno963
09-28-2012, 01:09 PM
i wish this was up back in 09 when i was looking for a wakeboat

kaneboats
09-28-2012, 01:10 PM
LOL! This topic is up here at least a couple of times every year.

tgoody14
09-28-2012, 01:18 PM
If I were in the market I would immediately contact mmandley and buy his boat. It has to be the best deal out there. Meticulously maintained, extremely well equipped and priced right. In TX, I'd go get it. From FL, I'd ship it.

Yeaaaa, I scroll thru Mike's pics like twice a day trying to make it magically appear in my driveway!!!
Honestly tho, if he hasn't sold it by the time mine sells I might be taking a roadtrip his direction ;)

motosno963
09-28-2012, 01:25 PM
LOL! This topic is up here at least a couple of times every year.ahhh ok haha..maybe i was just dumb and saw my 04 and was like..i want it haha

skiyaker
09-28-2012, 01:32 PM
another plus for the DD that hasn't been mention in this treat yet (Deerfield will chime in soon) is the engine placement makes it easy to service- I'll gladly do oil and impeller changes on my DD, not quite as fun with the V-drive.

chawk610
09-28-2012, 02:09 PM
We came dangerously close to getting a V-Drive this Summer but didn't, we are glad about it for a few reasons. 1st, our boat payment is less than our cell phone bill, 2nd, we all like sitting on the dog house, 3rd, the wife and her twin love to slalom.

That all being said, our next boat will be a v-drive.

kaneboats
09-28-2012, 02:34 PM
That last comment says it all.

usaski1
09-28-2012, 08:27 PM
I'd cry if I had a v-drive. but im 80% course and 3 eventer, 20% wakeboard. Just skiied great behind the outback this week, I love it now more than I ever have. I like being able to do everthing. Run the course well, CHECK. Wakeboard, CHECK, surf, CHECK. Tube CHECK. Strap on a carbon slalom ski, and slam that mojo through the course... ehhehe...

sybrmike
09-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Great topic & exactly why I ended up with my ride. I'm an old school slalom guy and primary wrench turner & grew up on DD's. My teenagers are more into the board sports & the wife wanted room to load up the guests, but we didn't want a newer VD payment. Soooo, I spent two years rebuilding and modifying an old Saltare - the biggest DD ever made.

Granted, it's no slalom course queen, but the wake does flatten out nicely at speed & engine access is a breeze. But now with a tower, 2800# of sacs, and wrap around seating, the rest of the family is happy as well. It's a compromise for sure, good for many things, but not great at any one particular activity - but suits us just fine. There's still a place for both, so go with the configuration that best fits your needs.

deerfield
10-01-2012, 11:30 AM
another plus for the DD that hasn't been mention in this treat yet (Deerfield will chime in soon) is the engine placement makes it easy to service- I'll gladly do oil and impeller changes on my DD, not quite as fun with the V-drive.

Got that right. Do my own maintenance. Direct Drive makes it enjoyable. For me, a die hard skier, Outback is THE boat.