PDA

View Full Version : Question about the buying process

alw041
09-27-2012, 06:24 PM
I plan to go to the Feb. boat show in Dallas, TX and order a boat. I have a couple of questions though. Who do I make a deal with at the boat show? The boat company or a dealer that is there? Also, if it is through a dealer do I have to use my local one? I live in Shreveport, LA and my local Moomba dealer doesn't have a good reputation. Am I allowed to order from a Dallas, Austin, or Houston dealer? I have heard that dealers have "regions" that they can sell too. But I don't want to spend money at a dealership that won't treat me right. My final question is about taxes. Do I have to pay the TX dealer sales tax, and then pay LA sales tax when I register the boat at home?

motosno963
09-27-2012, 07:33 PM
for the sales tax...when i was in the army down in tenn i bought a boat from a dealer in kentucky and would have paid sales tax if it wasnt for me being in the army..when i got out i moved back to NY and when i went to register it here i had to pay ~$900 in sales tax..dont ask me why it was crazy tho

lsvboombox
09-27-2012, 07:56 PM
There are dealer teritories not sure how it would work at a boat show though. I have the same deal as you, i dont like my local moomba dealer so i located one online and had it shipped. If i couldnt get around the territory issue i would have bought another brand. If you run it to the issues and dont like your local dealer i would suggest looking at other brands. Losing money will make sc take a closer look at the dealer and fix the issues

As far as taxes, around here you pay the taxes to the state the boat is registered.

alw041
09-27-2012, 08:10 PM
So for example. Lets say I buy a boat in TX for $60,000. Would I just pay the dealer $60,000 and then taxes wouldn't be paid until I registered it in LA?

motosno963
09-27-2012, 08:38 PM
you might have to talk to a dealer on that..or the dmv..i would think when you buy the boat you would pay sales tax..now if register it in another state that you boat the boat from they might charge you as well

skiyaker
09-27-2012, 08:53 PM
In indiana you have to show proof that you paid sales tax when you title/register the boat- if you've already paid it in IN or another state you're good to go. If not then you have to pay it then.

As far a territories go in 2008 when I bought mine I had several dealers willing to sell to me out of territory. Last offseason I was going to trade it for a holdover boat that was out of territory- the out of territory dealer called the factory to see if they would let me do it and it was a no go. If you fib to the out of territory dealer about where you live you can probably get by with it especially since you're a first time buyer- just don't count on your local dealer being helpful at all with service.

alw041
09-27-2012, 09:03 PM
The fact that I don't want to go to my local dealer doesn't have to do with pricing. It is completely about service. I have talked to people that have bought from my local dealer and the normal answer is: crappy service. For example, 3-5 month waiting to get anything done, even if you bought from them. Their priority is fishing boats. I am willing to pay a little more, and drive 3-4 hours 1 way to Dallas to get better service. The only thing I am worried about is if they will actually sell to me because of territory and if I have to pay double sales tax. The tax would be a huge hit on a 60k purchase.

mmandley
09-27-2012, 09:35 PM
I plan to go to the Feb. boat show in Dallas, TX and order a boat. I have a couple of questions though. Who do I make a deal with at the boat show? The boat company or a dealer that is there? Also, if it is through a dealer do I have to use my local one? I live in Shreveport, LA and my local Moomba dealer doesn't have a good reputation. Am I allowed to order from a Dallas, Austin, or Houston dealer? I have heard that dealers have "regions" that they can sell too. But I don't want to spend money at a dealership that won't treat me right. My final question is about taxes. Do I have to pay the TX dealer sales tax, and then pay LA sales tax when I register the boat at home?

You can buy your boat from any dealer you want. What you cant do is buy from Tx Dealer and have it shiped and delivered at a LA dealer.

When you buy the boat in TX you dont have to pay TX tax but you will pay LA tax at registration. Im lucky i live in OR no sales tax so if i buy anything in Washington i dont pay tax eighter, such as my Motorcycle.

At the boat show you will most likly have the local Dealer. You can make a deal with him but see the stipulation above. You might see a Factory rep at the show but they wont sell you a boat, they will only talk to you about the boats.

KG's Supra24
09-27-2012, 09:36 PM
You are not going to pay double sales tax. I'm pretty sure you pay sales tax when you register the boat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

alw041
09-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the info Mmandley. I definitely don't want it shipped to my local dealer. If I can find a reputable dealer in Dallas, Houston, or Austin I don't mind the commute for picking it up and annual servicing or warranty work. It would be much faster than letting my boat sit 20 minutes from my house for 4 months for work at my local dealer.

lsvboombox
09-27-2012, 10:06 PM
You can buy your boat from any dealer you want. .

As far as sc goes i am pretty sure this is inacurate. Some dealers respect the territorial rules they have been slapped with other dealers dont. So you are not going to be able to go anywhere. You will need to find a dealer that will overlook the territory issue

jpetty3023
09-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the info Mmandley. I definitely don't want it shipped to my local dealer. If I can find a reputable dealer in Dallas, Houston, or Austin I don't mind the commute for picking it up and annual servicing or warranty work. It would be much faster than letting my boat sit 20 minutes from my house for 4 months for work at my local dealer.

Hit up Hunter at South Austin Marine. Great dude who will take care of ya. Check for waketoberfest coming up n October, on Lake Austin. Should be a great weekend

skiyaker
09-28-2012, 06:40 AM
As far as sc goes i am pretty sure this is inacurate. Some dealers respect the territorial rules they have been slapped with other dealers dont. So you are not going to be able to go anywhere. You will need to find a dealer that will overlook the territory issue

I was going to drive to TN to pick the boat up myself and they (factory + TN dealer) told me for a new boat I would have work out something where they would trade it to my local dealer and buy it through them- at additional markup and shipping cost of course. They tried to get the factory to classify it as a "used boat" since it was a holdover but that was a no go. Go figure the outback in question is still listed for sale. I'm guessing that since this dealer was close to the factory they probably play by the factory's rules- might be a much different story in Texas- the Texans I've met tend to call BS on something like that and just do what they want (love Texas!). In 2008 I had dealers tell me I just needed to come up with a zip code local to them and tell them that's where I lived.

lewisb13
09-28-2012, 07:24 AM

C.hern and I both got our boats at rinkers boat world in Houston. Top notch place. They have a couple leftover outbacks there. Ask for chris rinker himself and tell him brad and chris sent you.

sandm
09-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I would recommend calling your state and the state you are looking to buy from and not taking the word of the internet world imo :)

that said, here's my experience.
I have bought 2 cars out of state. the first one from oregon. they don't charge tax, but I did have to pay for it once I registered it in idaho. the second and more relavent one was in cali. the rule there was that you had to pay cali tax if you took posession of the car in the state. Idaho then would not collect tax since it was paid in cali(at a higher rate, but that's the price you pay). if you have the vehicle shipped out of state by a licensed transport company, then cali does not collect tax since you are not officially taking posession of the vehicle in their state. Idaho then collects it.

I had no issues buying my supra as a holdover from out of state dealer and had no issues with warranty work from our local dealer, but the service manager is aweome(now is sales and service manager). I do know that my new boat came from an out of town(but not out of state dealer) and he told me up front if I buy it from them and not through him, he won't honor the free 3year service and my boat will be at the back of the pack for warranty work but that even with protected territories if he hasn't done his job right then I should be allowed to buy from a different dealer. I did like that approach.

E4NASH
09-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Both of the boats I have bought have been out of state. I bought from AR and AL, neither charged sales tax. When I registered the boat I bought from AR in TN I had to pay the TN sales tax. I haven't yet had to pay the sales tax for the boat I bought in AL here in GA. I just paid the regular registration fee. I'm assuming it will come with the annual "Birthday tax" bill they send every year. This is my first year in GA and my birthday is 2 weeks before Christmas so combining that with the tax on my truck...OUCH!! Santa Claus may have to break out the feathered hat and put Mrs. Claus to work!

alw041
09-28-2012, 08:32 PM
C.Hern recommended that dealer to me also. I think I will definitely have to give him a call when the time comes to make a deal. When people make orders around boat show time when is usually the arrival date?

mmandley
09-29-2012, 09:06 AM
C.Hern recommended that dealer to me also. I think I will definitely have to give him a call when the time comes to make a deal. When people make orders around boat show time when is usually the arrival date?

Hard to say unless your buying a custom ordered direct from the factory. Even then im not sure how the factory calculates it. I know a lot of people here got there boats built direct from the factory and should be able to answer a time line.

Guessing purly guessing id say 2 months. This is all dependent on how busy the factory is id assume as well.

alw041
09-29-2012, 09:16 AM
I plan on having a custom order. Do I negotiate with Moomba or a dealer?

mmandley
09-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Always threw the Dealer. The factory isnt going to deal direct at the boat show. They are there to support the Brand and there local dealers.

But knowing the factory people does help

alw041
09-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks Mmandley for clearing that up. I want to be informed as possible before we start the process in Feb. Another question just popped into my head. Should I get preapproved for a loan before going to the boat show?

deerfield
09-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Ordered my Outback in January at the boat show. Negotiated with the dealer. Factory rep was in the discussion and threw in a depth gauge to sweeten the deal. Boat arrived in April. Dealer had the boat ready in two weeks. Paid the balance due. Have been a happy camper ever since.

alw041
09-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks Deerfield! Don't they usually put the boat show incentives on thewebsite when that time of the year rolls around?

deerfield
09-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Yes. I can give you a rundown on the incentives i took. I am in Alabama for the weekend and will follow up when I get home. The depth gauge was a freeby in addition to the factory incentives. The incentives offered for 2013 will be posted here on the forum.

lewisb13
09-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Which boat are you going for? Still thinking outback?

mmandley
09-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks Mmandley for clearing that up. I want to be informed as possible before we start the process in Feb. Another question just popped into my head. Should I get preapproved for a loan before going to the boat show?

Never hurts to get preapproved, this way you know if your a serious buyer, and when you mention to the that your preapproved they will take you much more serious then a on looker dreaming. This will also let you know what your real numbers are going to be.