PDA

View Full Version : Minor thing: the drain for the ice chest

dhyams
09-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Just a little thing, but it bugs me a little...

We used our ice chest, and later there was water all over the carpet underneath the sets. Water was getting underneath the drain instead of going through it, so I figured, hey, just seal around the drain with silicone and it would be fine.

Well, in the process of doing this, I took the drain out, and it's not connected to anything. The drain outlet is just sitting flush with the carpet underneath the cooler. I could tell there was a hole under the carpet for this water to drain into, so I just poked and drilled at the carpet until I made a hole through it.

So I guess two questions:
1) is everyone's boat like this, or did SC just forget to make the hole through the carpet?
2) where does the passage that this water is draining into go? Does it go back to the bilge, or does it dump into the cavity under your floor where the gas tank is (where water is very hard to get out of the boat!) Maybe this is one and the same...

kaneboats
09-26-2012, 12:36 PM
My "cooler" (RIP) drained through a hose down through the hole in the floor. Where it goes, nobody knows.

mmandley
09-26-2012, 01:07 PM
It does drain to the Bilge, when we used ours the first season when i drained it shortly after the bilge comes on. Mine has since been removed because the cooler never worked and i rather have the storage. There is a hole threw the carpet and the drain tube just ran threw it and hung there.

This is a bilge chanel of some sort, but it does goto your bilge area.

dhyams
09-26-2012, 01:18 PM
OK. Mine didn't have any hose, it was just the plastic fitting that is the cooler's drain. I guess I should put a short length of hose on it to better direct the water into the "channel" that takes it off to the bilge. Or just don't worry about it.

Or just cut out the cooler like some people have done here ;) My wife likes the cooler though.

C.Hern5972
09-26-2012, 01:40 PM
IM leaving our cooler. Love it.. We put the plug in it and dran it when we get home. Pull the center plug and pull plug on the cooler.

mmandley
09-26-2012, 05:23 PM
OK. Mine didn't have any hose, it was just the plastic fitting that is the cooler's drain. I guess I should put a short length of hose on it to better direct the water into the "channel" that takes it off to the bilge. Or just don't worry about it.

Or just cut out the cooler like some people have done here ;) My wife likes the cooler though.

She might love it now but the reason people remove it is because about 2 hours on the water and all the ice will melt. Its not insulated at all and sitting at the water line the heat from the lake actualy makes the ice melt faster.

C Hern im expecting and hopefull the cooler in the new Mojo was made a lot better then in the privious years.

The only other Moomba i have seen is the XLV with a decent little cooler in the floor and it keeps ice and drinks pretty cold for a long time.

jstenger
09-26-2012, 05:27 PM
My "cooler" (RIP) drained through a hose down through the hole in the floor. Where it goes, nobody knows.

KANEBOATS and MMANDLEY, did you cut your coolers out? Was there carpet undernieth them?

mmandley
09-26-2012, 05:35 PM
KANEBOATS and MMANDLEY, did you cut your coolers out? Was there carpet undernieth them?

Yes i used a cutting tool and cut it out. I had to slide it out the back towards the V drive locker. Yes theres carpet under it. Now when you oepn the compartment you just see a small hole where the drain was. Otherwise it looks like the rest of the strage areas.

jstenger
09-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Sorry to take this thread in a different direction with the removing of the cooler. As far as the drain on my 2010 goes, it has a length of 3/4" tubing attached to it and it runs back and dumps into the engine compartment.

mmandley
09-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Sorry to take this thread in a different direction with the removing of the cooler. As far as the drain on my 2010 goes, it has a length of 3/4" tubing attached to it and it runs back and dumps into the engine compartment.

Just the way that guy did your boat. All the hulls i assume should be identicle and it wont matter if you remove the cooler. Just pull that hose out and toss it too. If removing the cooler is what your planning on doing.

E4NASH
09-27-2012, 09:32 AM
I cut our cooler out so we had more room for hidden ballast for surfing. We used it once or twice and it worked ok I guess but nowhere near as good as a real cooler. After that we used it for dry storage for like chips, snacks, and stuff. Mine had insulation and carpet around it. I guess that was an improvement over the earlier models. Mine also had a hose connected to it that went back toward the engine compartment. Much cleaner with the cooler out and no hole in the carpeted floor.

Once you get sick of having bags on top of seats you and your wife will change your mind about the cooler...I know that's what finally changed my wife's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C.Hern5972
09-27-2012, 01:05 PM
She might love it now but the reason people remove it is because about 2 hours on the water and all the ice will melt. Its not insulated at all and sitting at the water line the heat from the lake actualy makes the ice melt faster.

C Hern im expecting and hopefull the cooler in the new Mojo was made a lot better then in the privious years.

The only other Moomba i have seen is the XLV with a decent little cooler in the floor and it keeps ice and drinks pretty cold for a long time.

You are correct. It does melt fast but we put the plug in and try and keep it seciured closed at all times.