PDA

View Full Version : Winter Projects: What's Yer Plans

bergermaister
09-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Ok fellas, I know the season's not over for everyone yet, but you know you've already got a list started. So whatcha got?!

For me:
* Winterizing soon. :( Full fluid change, spark plugs, electrical check.
* Touch up paint on trailer fenders and new hydroturf for steps
* Bow sac - handheld pump fill to start, maybe plumb it all in when I'm convinced I like it
* New cover - for reals this time
* Few led strip repairs/replacements
* Reglass seat supports up underneath playpen
* Add + and - bus bars under cockpit, clean up some daisy chain wiring messes
* Possible tower speaker upgrade
* Possible inverter install

The wish list is much longer than that, but these things are more of a reality.

moombadaze
09-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Exile system
IBS-with possible 4th pump
1100 surf bag
reinforce panel for surf bag
install wakejak
install tower mirror arm
relocate factory pumps

those are the plans at this time--just need the boat to do it in-lol

sandm
09-25-2012, 06:00 PM
for the first time in 5 years, paying dealer to winterize it this friday. still real nice here, but my cousin was nice enough to lend me a month in his 40x70 heated shop to work on the boat, so gotta take time when I can. having dealer do it as first 3 years oil/impeller are free and figure it'll help if I have any warranty work down the road..

-added an enzo style sack on the regular side, so mla on here was so kind as to hook me up with another fill/drain pump and all the goodies to go with it. that's first on the agenda. 2 1100gph should fill the bag quickly.
-full-on stereo install. sub and box under helm, 4 tower speakers, 2 more interior speakers to offset sub, 3 amps, all new wiring, 3rd battery for the stereo.
-promariner battery charging system.
-working on dealer to replace the graphics that started to peel. hoping to get them replaced with pink graphics instead of grey :)

that should kill the month of october/half of november then she comes home to the garage and hibernates until spring..

I really want to replace the ibs(400lb) with a separate sack on each side of the bow seating. it's plumbed with separate fill/drain/vent pumps already, but I don't see the funds there this year..

should be a busy fall, then time to relax and recharge the checkbook for next year...

mmandley
09-25-2012, 06:04 PM
@ Sandm i dont if you want to sink the nose on your boat man, its not like Moomba's it doesnt like a lot of nose weight.

As for me
I will hold off winterizing as long as possible.
Clean every nook and cranny
Sell the boat

Look for a new boat.
Thats all folks.

mnpracing
09-25-2012, 07:05 PM
for the first time in 5 years, paying dealer to winterize it this friday. still real nice here, but my cousin was nice enough to lend me a month in his 40x70 heated shop to work on the boat, so gotta take time when I can. having dealer do it as first 3 years oil/impeller are free and figure it'll help if I have any warranty work down the road..

-added an enzo style sack on the regular side, so mla on here was so kind as to hook me up with another fill/drain pump and all the goodies to go with it. that's first on the agenda. 2 1100gph should fill the bag quickly.
-full-on stereo install. sub and box under helm, 4 tower speakers, 2 more interior speakers to offset sub, 3 amps, all new wiring, 3rd battery for the stereo.
-promariner battery charging system.
-working on dealer to replace the graphics that started to peel. hoping to get them replaced with pink graphics instead of grey :)

that should kill the month of october/half of november then she comes home to the garage and hibernates until spring..

I really want to replace the ibs(400lb) with a separate sack on each side of the bow seating. it's plumbed with separate fill/drain/vent pumps already, but I don't see the funds there this year..

should be a busy fall, then time to relax and recharge the checkbook for next year...

How are you getting around the touch screen integration with your stereo install, and with the ballast pumps?

sandm
09-25-2012, 07:26 PM
pm'ed to keep on topic :)

dusty2221
09-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Sell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

rdlangston13
09-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Pull amplifies out and make all new amp boards with cooling fans built in. Reinstall amps, swivel driver seat, sell tower set up and upgrade, LEDs in cabin, trim corner off of sub box so
It doesn't punch the front ballast hose, PP.

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

Nobodyrides4Free
09-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Wanting to get a Bigger boat if I can sell mine for a good Price...Want an XLV or longer ....Soooo

Getting some of seats recovered with bonus check, back rest by pads has a few holes.
Changing fluids as needed.
Thinking F2 Fulton jack and new bow roller.
Need to redo ballast system. Old HippoPatumus still in. One valve not workng, but still can fill an drain.

If I keep her, new tower speakers are in the future....
I think thats All the $$$$ I can do... Working on lake house at Grand

dusty2221
09-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Wanting to get a Bigger boat if I can sell mine for a good Price...Want an XLV or longer ....Soooo

Getting some of seats recovered with bonus check, back rest by pads has a few holes.
Changing fluids as needed.
Thinking F2 Fulton jack and new bow roller.
Need to redo ballast system. Old HippoPatumus still in. One valve not workng, but still can fill an drain.

If I keep her, new tower speakers are in the future....
I think thats All the $$$$ I can do... Working on lake house at Grand

I know of a Supra that's ready to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

rdlangston13
09-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Dusty, what do you have planned once you sell the Supra?

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

Nobodyrides4Free
09-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Dusty, Thanks for the sales pitch! LOL.... Would love to have your Supra, but a little more than what I can spend right now...
So what gives with you ? like David ask......... Whats your next boat?

ryan_8099
09-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Winterizing boat and pumps (done already)
Repair hull crack again...:mad:
Buy 400 lb bag for seats just before next season starts
Repair < 1 inch seat tear

That's about it, too many unexpected costs due to the hull to warrant anymore upgrades.

chawk610
09-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Not to make anyone laugh... cause this IS going to happen. I will be adding a second battery and an additional amp as well as LED speaker rings.

beat taco
09-26-2012, 10:34 AM
New interior, stainless rub rail, big domed SUPRA on the sides. Probably live with the trailer for another year but I want it black instead of blue.

kaneboats
09-26-2012, 10:38 AM
New 3 car garage; new upgraded ballast empty pumps; add one more thru hull for surf bag.

bergermaister
09-26-2012, 10:49 AM
After I win the Powerball jackpot tonight I'll make sure to post my new/improved and far more extensive list. Probably be doing it from a tropical beach on a tablet though.

jester
09-26-2012, 11:58 AM
After I win the Powerball jackpot tonight I'll make sure to post my new/improved and far more extensive list. Probably be doing it from a tropical beach on a tablet though.

On the table of under the table? Also Oregon is not tropical enough for you?

parrothd
09-26-2012, 12:08 PM
This was my first season with the Moomba, almost put on 100hrs... :)

I'm planning:
-Installing a complete 3-4 reversible pump system, boat didn't come with ballast.. :(
-Cutting out the cooler, adding a sac there, center and a bow sacs, with a spare line so I move a 750 bag around..
-Installing a heater..
-complete tuneup & winterize..
-Raise and add swivel to captains seat..

Or

Sell it and buy a newer/bigger boat with all those things...lol...

bergermaister
09-26-2012, 12:43 PM
On the table of under the table? Also Oregon is not tropical enough for you?

tablet amigo TABLET.

If I did hit that jackpot I would definitely be disappearing for a while. White sandy beaches somewhere.

jester
09-26-2012, 01:08 PM
tablet amigo TABLET.

If I did hit that jackpot I would definitely be disappearing for a while. White sandy beaches somewhere.

Table sounds better. Who want to be dancing on a tablet. That would crack the screen.

motosno963
09-26-2012, 08:12 PM
ill be playing on my snowmobile..and nothing during the winter..ill be saving the money till sping so i can,

add leds, along with oceanLED underwater transome lights
ballast tank either in the walk way or on the bow seats,
3rd battery for the audio
transom remote
ohhh...fix the strut
fix the speedo and depth finder
new vinyl
and one of these years update my system to exile haha
i think thats it

jstenger
09-26-2012, 09:16 PM
I want to add:

3 reversible pumps
A pair of 750 bags in the rear
An IBS in the front
New ballast switch panel

Now that boating up here is almost over, I can start working overtime to pay for all this stuff.

motosno963
09-26-2012, 09:59 PM
ill be playing on my snowmobile..and nothing during the winter..ill be saving the money till sping so i can,

add leds, along with oceanLED underwater transome lights
ballast tank either in the walk way or on the bow seats,
3rd battery for the audio
transom remote
ohhh...fix the strut
fix the speedo and depth finder
new vinyl
and one of these years update my system to exile haha
i think thats it
ohh and i want to do a seadek swim platform since the one i have now leaves black spots on your knees and hands,
and do a strip of seadek in the walkway to the bow since when it gets wet its gets slippery

viking
09-26-2012, 10:42 PM
I gotta try and figure out how to upgrade the boat, camper, RZR, and the wife's ride. Guess I might as well trade up the 5.0 to a GT500 also :)

The sickness is BAD and nothing is ever good enough. When will it end, ha ha.

In all seriousness, I think I'm good for awhile. At least till March..................

jmvotto
09-26-2012, 10:48 PM
More exile gear. Do I really need 3000 watts in the boat:D

ChrisK
09-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Taking it to the repair shop on October 27th to have basically the entire transom repaired from when I got rear-ended over Memorial Day.

Other than that:
- Installing depth/air+water temp gauge
- Heater Install
- Thorough cleaning
- LED tower speaker grills
- Possible ProMariner system

jester
09-27-2012, 02:55 PM
More exile gear. Do I really need 3000 watts in the boat:D

Only 3000 watts. times that by two then we are talking.

jmvotto
09-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Only 3000 watts. times that by two then we are talking.

Nah, I leave that to our PNW audio gang star.....:cool:

mmandley
09-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Nah, I leave that to our PNW audio gang star.....:cool:

Huh i couldnt hear you, can speak a little slower so i can read your lips

motosno963
09-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I gotta try and figure out how to upgrade the boat, camper, RZR, and the wife's ride. Guess I might as well trade up the 5.0 to a GT500 also :)

The sickness is BAD and nothing is ever good enough. When will it end, ha ha.

In all seriousness, I think I'm good for awhile. At least till March..................stop right there haha..what year 5.0

viking
10-04-2012, 11:25 PM
stop right there haha..what year 5.0

1990 - bought it my senior year in highschool and had it ever since. Only 70K miles as I don't drive it much in last 20 :)

mmandley
10-05-2012, 08:43 AM
@ Sandm i dont if you want to sink the nose on your boat man, its not like Moomba's it doesnt like a lot of nose weight.

As for me
I will hold off winterizing as long as possible.
Clean every nook and cranny
Sell the boat

Look for a new boat.
Thats all folks.

Well most of my Winter plans are done next week.
Sunday i clean every nook and cranny.
Monday Dealer Winterizes
Boat is SOLD

All i have to do this winter is find a new boat
Then that boat will get a Full array of Exile installed.
Im thinking Custom Sub Box for my Big 12
6 Exile SM65,
4 XM9
couple new amps not sure what size yet
Finally install my ZLD

KSmith
10-05-2012, 09:47 AM
First I need to get the diesel gnerator and 200 gallon fuel tank which is going to provider power to keep the massive bank of batteries charged which will in turn run the 25000 watt Exile system I have envisioned. As the battery and generator weight will be far too much for the boat I need to build a barge to install it all on and tow the barge behind the boat. On the plus side the barge throws a great wake and also doubles as a platform for video and photogs... and a BBQ, and toilet, and heated shower, and lazy boy loungers and...

kaneboats
10-05-2012, 10:19 AM
several Big Screen TV's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jsly04XLV
10-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Well... want to do for winter projects and going to do are 2 very different animals.

Do:
- Replace singe 12V (wet) aux battery with dual 6V (agm)
- Install Pro Marine charger
- Have v-drive seats recovered (boat is an 04 and showing some stress cracks from rear cover straps)

Want:
- Relocate all batteries farther forward in underseat compartment and enclose to achieve better use of space and look cleaner
- Re-arrange amp rack and associated relays
- Add flaps to current snap on cover to protect gel coat when on lift
- Add IBS

Lofty aspirations and the best laid plans. We'll see what the outcome is come March.

bergermaister
10-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Lofty aspirations and the best laid plans. We'll see what the outcome is come March.

This I can relate to all to well...

beat taco
10-13-2012, 05:31 PM

Here I go!

bergermaister
10-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Come on Jake - that's a one beer job at most!

freshturk
10-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Finishing my masters in a month so these are the celebratory gifts to myself
Winter projects are going to probably turn into early spring projects.

-Paint new trailer fenders white. Was going to wrap them for added rock chip protection but the wrap company talked me out of it because of the rounded edges
-full exile system. I think im going to omit the sub and dedicated amp for a little while...ive never heard a fully custom stereo with an aftermarket sub so maybe its just because i don't know what im missing or that i dont want to spend the extra 1500.
-upgrade the rear sacs
-install retractable transom straps

Thats probably it for awhile, gotta save some room to get the wife some things for supporting me the last few years through school

beat taco
10-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Come on Jake - that's a one beer job at most!

Sorry, I got all excited when my first box of the off season showed up! I got two racks so its going to be a two beer minimum. I also like to lump projects together to increase the minimum number of beers required when working on the boat. The more I drink the better my work looks too, talk about winning!

jrobb
10-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Hey guys got bunch of packages today for the winter projects for the new outback.
6 polk db651
2 jbl marine 4 channel amps
1 polk 400 watt monoblock
5 15 led blue light strips
and have an old mtx 5500 10" sub

Hopefully also get my new stargazer this winter so the wife can drive me next summer. Also need to replace my hot
cold water shower pump for the cold days here in the NW

jmvotto
10-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Nice addition and mods over the winter..

rdlangston13
10-20-2012, 10:23 AM
My previous list of mods for this winter is now on hold pending the purchase of a new house. If we get the house then the boat upgrades will be put on hold for a year or two while we make needed renovations to the property we are looking at. Time to do some slight growing up I reckon and make a "good" investment. Best thing about the house is its only a 4-5 mile drive by water to the Trinity River...hello daily glass!

mmandley
10-20-2012, 11:12 AM
My previous list of mods for this winter is now on hold pending the purchase of a new house. If we get the house then the boat upgrades will be put on hold for a year or two while we make needed renovations to the property we are looking at. Time to do some slight growing up I reckon and make a "good" investment. Best thing about the house is its only a 4-5 mile drive by water to the Trinity River...hello daily glass!

Think of all that fuel in the truck you will save, but you might want to invest in a pile of gas cans for the boat LOL.

Jealous you might get a river front property man.

We just drove by the river here and saw a bunch of properties for sale but all of them are 500K +. Little more then im willing to pay to be on the river.

rdlangston13
10-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Think of all that fuel in the truck you will save, but you might want to invest in a pile of gas cans for the boat LOL.

Jealous you might get a river front property man.

We just drove by the river here and saw a bunch of properties for sale but all of them are 500K +. Little more then im willing to pay to be on the river.

dont be too jealous, its not a water front home. the neighbor hood however is on the lake and has two boat ramps, a marina, and wet slips for rent. there is also put put style golf course on the lake and a full sized 18 hole course. all the golf i can play included with HOA fees...i guess i need to start playing. and the neighbor hood is on the lake so its about a 7 mile ride by water to the mouth of the river

jpetty3023
10-20-2012, 04:23 PM
dont be too jealous, its not a water front home. the neighbor hood however is on the lake and has two boat ramps, a marina, and wet slips for rent. there is also put put style golf course on the lake and a full sized 18 hole course. all the golf i can play included with HOA fees...i guess i need to start playing. and the neighbor hood is on the lake so its about a 7 mile ride by water to the mouth of the river

dang David you moving to Lake Conroe?

sent from my home phone

TL7
10-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Good luck David. I'd love to move closer to the water, but I really like my 10 minute commute every day. We've been looking for a place on the water to invest in though. Maybe one day.

rdlangston13
10-21-2012, 07:32 PM
well we might have just had a major set back thrown our way. well see

EricU
10-27-2012, 01:52 PM
With the help of some of the forum members, I was able to get my new stereo in, just in time for one more weekend at Bullards Bar before the kids went back to school. Nothing too exotic, a new Kenwood HU, Kicker amps, Kicker tower and transfom speakers and my partially finished homemade sub-enclosure for a 12" JL W6. Also installed a ProSport 20 charger and a Blue Seas Switch/ACR setup.

The rest of my winter list includes;

A complete new interior - which is NOT easy to design
Ordered a swim deck pad and some extra pads for the trailer from SeaDek
Replace the plastic wheels on my Fulton F2 trailer jack - that was kind of a disappointment
Polish the entire exterior like 98Roo did in his thread '98 Outback Transom repair/ restoration" (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?18230-98-Outback-Transom-repair-restoration/page10&highlight=polish) - The awesome job has definately inspired/scared me!
Build a seperat garage enclosure on my property for the Moomba and our 28' pontoon boat
Finish the backyard kitchen/BBQ area (that's my wife's list!!!!)
Finish up my sub enclosure (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?19037-My-little-sub-enclosure)- going to cover it with marine vinyl that matches the new interior

Eric.

beat taco
10-29-2012, 10:19 PM
My two 750's I bought off the classifieds here showed up today! This will put me up to around 4400lbs. total. After giving it some thought I plan on adding one more reversible pump for a total of four. I plan to modify my current mounting plate so more welding in the boat to come :)

E4NASH
10-29-2012, 10:29 PM
My two 750's I bought off the classifieds here showed up today! This will put me up to around 4400lbs. total. After giving it some thought I plan on adding one more reversible pump for a total of four. I plan to modify my current mounting plate so more welding in the boat to come :)

Glad they made it...enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beat taco
10-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Glad they made it...enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again Erik!

jstenger
11-02-2012, 10:52 PM
I ordered all my stuff from Wakemakers, and it shipped out today. A pair of 750# Fat Sacs, 2 Ballast switches, 4 Tsunami 800 pumps, A bunch of 3/4" black hose, and all kinds of fittings and thru hulls. Thanks to Jason, Brian and Spencer. Upgrades start next week.

bergermaister
11-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Ok be honest - who besides me is now toying with a DIY surfgate mod to their rear/platform?

I would not go with actuators, at least to start with, so it will have to be a quick release pin setup of some sort, manually adjusted and attached to the swim platform brackets only as I have no intention of more holes in the fiberglass (yet).

beat taco
11-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Ok be honest - who besides me is now toying with a DIY surfgate mod to their rear/platform?

I would not go with actuators, at least to start with, so it will have to be a quick release pin setup of some sort, manually adjusted and attached to the swim platform brackets only as I have no intention of more holes in the fiberglass (yet).

Guilty, but lets call it a wake tab.

mmandley
11-05-2012, 07:15 PM

I personally havnt rode behind a Surf Gate yet but everything i have herd about it doesnt impress me. This is what i have herd from people and talking to the dealer.

21 ft boat with Surfgate isnt very good compared to the 23ft boat
If you over wieght the boat the surf gate doesnt work, you have to keep the top of the surf gate out of the water
Surf Gate wave feels very different then a conventional surf wave
Surf Gate wave is flatter and not as tall as a conventional surf wave

Like i said i havt riden behind one but i dont plan on trying to copy one. I think its reall great for the weekend crowd that has a lot of Goofy / Reg riders and needs to swap sides of the boat easily. I also am not sold on the weighting the entire boat all the time, IDK maybe im a conventionalist in this topic LOL.

I will say i do still want to ride behind one and when i do ill let you know how i like it LOL

jmvotto
11-05-2012, 10:33 PM

Jake, what boat do you have again, that it's handling 4.4k...

beat taco
11-06-2012, 12:17 AM
22' supra santera. Hopefully 3400 will be enough. At least if not I can keep going :) I went from 2800 to 3300 when I added some moveable (extra bodies) ballast at the end of this year. I was pulling the 1100 out of the non surf side locker and filling it on the floor. I hope to use the two 750's instead. One on the floor one in the bow. I may add a little lead to the port side if it still needs more.

98Roo
11-11-2012, 11:54 AM
I have a New Dimension Tower being built right now. Black tower, black bimini, black board rack, lighted ski tow.
Replace all gauges except speedos for now. (Will probably go with perfectpass later)
Install glove box in dash.
Add two 6x9's in boxes in the rear, 4 channel amp.
Two cupholders in rear and two right next to drivers seat.
Will probably get a fat seat or similar and might plumb in a pump for it.

jfox8807
11-13-2012, 09:05 AM
well my list is way long i bought my first boat this spring it had 5 hours on it. droped it off at the dealer yesterday to be winterized it now has 168 hours. thats right i put 163 hrs on it in one summer.

so the todo list
new acme 1617 prop
replace the RF P3 12" with 2 re audio se-x 10"
replace RF 750.1 with the RF 1200.1
new amp racks
adding 2 xs power xp3000 batts
all new 0ga wire to distro block
removing stock bus bar adding tsunami fused power and ground distro block
got a 2 farad cap for sub amp
sumo 900' for rear and fly high 1150lb for ski locker and maybe IBS bag
custom sub box under steering wheel
pro mariner batt charger

wish list:

transom led's
swivel board racks
new pumps and plumbing for ballast
onboard led's various places

im sure im forgetting stuff but yall get the idea i guess. gonna post pics of my install when its done and let everyone know how it works

mmandley
11-13-2012, 01:02 PM
I see you have a 2 farad cap for the sub. I dont think i have herd of anyone running Caps in boats. I think this is due to the multiple batteries people run and i think the reason the Cap is used in a car is because when the Sub hits and makes that large draw on the battery it would cause your car ligjhts to dim and the cap just kept that from happening.

Not sure you will need it.

I wont get into what my boat stereo and sub does, it always gets pulled off track and the tread goes to left field..

My point being i never ran a cap and i dont actually know anyone who is in a boat. Might save you some coin for other projects.