PDA

View Full Version : My First Season As A Moomba Owner

AlbertaBoy
09-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Well all I can say is "why did I not do this sooner?"
From the moment I turned the key, put her in gear, and heard the sweet growl of that Indmar 340 EXT I was hooked.
Even though the season here in Alberta is short we managed about 50 hrs thanks to 3 weeks in the interior of British Columbia in late July/mid August where we were on the water for early morning sets each day.
My fellow inboard owners could not get over the "punch" the boat had and for those of you that commented how fun the 340 EXT would be in an Outback DD would be.....it is. :)
Replacing the OJ 13x13 with the Acme 13x11.5 was a great move.
The hole shot is ridiculous and I still get my mid 40's top end no trouble.
The ski wake is awesome, (my Sport Nautique owning friends said it is the best boat they have ever skied behind) and even though not her strength, we had no trouble surfing behind her with a boat load of friends.
But now it is that sad time of year where the nights are getting cooler and it's bedtime for boats.
Thanks to all on this forum for answering my questions this year....much appreciated.
Is it wrong to just want to hang around inside the boat even in the driveway ?
My name is Scott..... and I am a Moombaholic.

rca
09-24-2012, 10:46 AM
I think I need to join the club Scott. We bought our LSV in June and just rolled through 110 hours. Still have some season left here in Texas too. Absolutely love this boat!

My name is Ron...............and I'm a Moombaholic.

KRAK
09-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Is it wrong to just want to hang around inside the boat even in the driveway ?
My name is Scott..... and I am a Moombaholic.

It isn't wrong at all! I sit in mine, in the garage, just hanging out, scaring the wife when she drives in, listing to tunes, having brews with the bros, all winter, waiting for spring.

My name is Kelly..............and I'm a Moombaholic.

kaneboats
09-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Been known to sit in the garage with a beer and listen to tunes in the boat. We've had all 8 of us in there just hanging out before.

lewisb13
09-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Need pics of said DD!!! Welcome to the family

jwpowerslake
09-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I feel exactly the same way. I bought my 2011 Outback V last February from a dealer who was switching to Tige. Felt like I got a great deal based on the time of the year and the fact that they were moving in another direction. My kids (15 and 18) mangaged to invite most of the people they know to our lake house this summer, allowing me to log 75 hours of awesome skiing, boarding, tubing and surfing. Cannot understand why I did not do it sooner! Awesome summer all around. I absolutely love my Moomba! I dropped it off on Saturday at Lauderdale Lakes Marina in WI for winterization and storage. They had the new Supra SA 550 on the floor. Sick looking boat with a MC-like front end and lots of really cool bling with a 550 HP supercharged engine! I understand the "more is better" argument, but can anyone explain why you would want 550 HP on a 22 foot boat? Or even better, why you would want to pay $100k more than I paid for my Moomba, for a boat that does basically the same thing? I'm just sayin'......
First time to post anything, I have enjoyed reading this forum, especially when I installed my new tower speakers, Went off without a hitch. Thanks to all.

My name is Jim and I too am a Moombaholic

wolfeman131
09-24-2012, 04:39 PM
can anyone explain why you would want 550 HP on a 22 foot boat?

Yes, and the answer is easy . . .

becasue you can. :cool:

motosno963
09-24-2012, 04:44 PM
i came close to selling mine as everyone on here knows..but looking back at the vids i shot with the gopro and the memories has stopped that and im adding on to her and keeping her for a while

jwpowerslake
09-24-2012, 04:45 PM
I hear you, but am struggling to understand the target market for that boat. How many people can there be willing to pay that kind of money?

wolfeman131
09-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I know of at least 1. :)

Seriously, have you priced out most Malibu or MC boats? There are plenty of those on the lakes in GA. I think SC sells over 3,000 boats per year and they trail both those brands, so a very rough guess is that each year there are some 6,000+ wakeboats that sell for over $100k.

The target market is probably close to the same one as Porsche, Audi, Land Rover, Cadillac, Lexus, etc.

motosno963
09-24-2012, 05:22 PM
i know the new G23 and G24 are a little over 100K and so are most MC's haha..i show someone a G23 and tell them i want it..they ask me how much and i say 100K and they think im nutts..i love my moomba..id buy mmandleys but that thing is in Oregon..but i am a ducks fan so i might have to stop up haha

rdlangston13
09-24-2012, 05:33 PM
I know of at least 1. :)

Seriously, have you priced out most Malibu or MC boats? There are plenty of those on the lakes in GA. I think SC sells over 3,000 boats per year and they trail both those brands, so a very rough guess is that each year there are some 6,000+ wakeboats that sell for over $100k.

The target market is probably close to the same one as Porsche, Audi, Land Rover, Cadillac, Lexus, etc.

I think I read in an article recently that MC only makes 1,800 boats a year.

psycho-heico
09-24-2012, 05:47 PM
During the winter months I will sneak onto the boat open the hatches and sniff the smells of the engine and ballast bags,
waiting for my next fix in the spring...

My name Heico and I too am a Moombaholic

tgoody14
09-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Great Thread! I bought my 1st Moomba this June with 55 hours on it. I did a double take after looking down at the odometer yesterday... 104 hours!!! I was like daayyyuumm!!! I doubled the hours on my 8yr old boat in just 3 months and it's been the greatest summer of my life!
Big high-five to this forum! Everybody here is great and it makes havin a Moomba even more, better, gooder! :)

My name is Taylor.... I too, am a Moombaholic!

wolfeman131
09-24-2012, 06:22 PM
I think I read in an article recently that MC only makes 1,800 boats a year.

not that wiki is always full of 100% accurate info, but . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MasterCraft
http://www.answers.com/topic/mastercraft-boat-company-inc-1

It's hard to get info on any of the major brands as they are all privately owned companies. MC barely avoided bankruptcy in 2009 when their boat sales were cut in half, but like everyone, have been rebuilding sales.

FWIW - the ex-MC CEO recently bought a majority interest in Bryant boats and the new CEO is an ex-Brunswick (Bayliner, Lowe, Trophy, etc.) executive.

rdlangston13
09-25-2012, 09:53 PM
not that wiki is always full of 100% accurate info, but . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MasterCraft
http://www.answers.com/topic/mastercraft-boat-company-inc-1

It's hard to get info on any of the major brands as they are all privately owned companies. MC barely avoided bankruptcy in 2009 when their boat sales were cut in half, but like everyone, have been rebuilding sales.

FWIW - the ex-MC CEO recently bought a majority interest in Bryant boats and the new CEO is an ex-Brunswick (Bayliner, Lowe, Trophy, etc.) executive.

http://m.knoxnews.com/news/2012/sep/21/new-mastercraft-ceo-looks-to-build-on-brand

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

deerfield
09-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Jim - Just noticed your Location. Also, read that you boat on Lake Powers. I'm up the road from you in Deerfield and have been on Lake Mary for a couple of summers after two years on Lauderdale Lakes. Bought my '07 Outback from Lauderdale Lakes Marina. Sorry for being slow on the uptake to welcome you to the Moomba family. Glad you had a great summer with your new Outback V. Nice boat. I'll be winterizing in the next couple of weeks and then putting her away on the garage for the winter. - Stuart aka Deerfield

I feel exactly the same way. I bought my 2011 Outback V last February from a dealer who was switching to Tige. Felt like I got a great deal based on the time of the year and the fact that they were moving in another direction. My kids (15 and 18) mangaged to invite most of the people they know to our lake house this summer, allowing me to log 75 hours of awesome skiing, boarding, tubing and surfing. Cannot understand why I did not do it sooner! Awesome summer all around. I absolutely love my Moomba! I dropped it off on Saturday at Lauderdale Lakes Marina in WI for winterization and storage. They had the new Supra SA 550 on the floor. Sick looking boat with a MC-like front end and lots of really cool bling with a 550 HP supercharged engine! I understand the "more is better" argument, but can anyone explain why you would want 550 HP on a 22 foot boat? Or even better, why you would want to pay $100k more than I paid for my Moomba, for a boat that does basically the same thing? I'm just sayin'......
First time to post anything, I have enjoyed reading this forum, especially when I installed my new tower speakers, Went off without a hitch. Thanks to all.

My name is Jim and I too am a Moombaholic

maxpower220
09-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Boat numbers in 2006 and 2012 are different for every manufacturer. I would be surprised if SC sold 3000 boats this year.

Mikey
09-26-2012, 09:32 PM
I know around Calgary there are Many High priced boats around. We have consistently for many years had Top sellers(Volume) outta most of the local dealers. MC,Martins has been consistently #1,2 for years. Tige ,has been #1,3 off and on. We were # 2,3 Sc before Mobious went under, Nearby Malibu dealer is always near the top. Etc Etc.

There is still money to burn for some.I was in getting parts at Martins(MC/Moomba dealer ) one day. Salesman was talking to a guy ready to buy a 90,100k boat. The Guys only concern was boat had to be Blue and available for that weekend. Price ,not an issue....Then i heard him ask the salesman,How big a truck is necessary to pull..said boat as he was not sure if he could pull it with his Zo6 Vette..haha Next stop was to a nearby Chev Dealer i heard him say.

Moral of the story is... Yes there is a market for that price of boat,just not for most of us. I Love my Outback and after getting my 30.00 parts i was happy to go to my boat and enjoy just as much as that guy I THINK...

DDNorCal
09-27-2012, 12:17 AM
It's not about the bling, it's about the experience. I bought a 2006 LSV with 56 hours on it August of 2012. Last weekend, it was 93 degrees with no one else on the lake and 152 hours on the boat. In 13 months, I've spent more time and gotten to know my 15 & 18 year old daughters and their friends more than I have the last 10 years. I've taken 18 people out on a boat for the first time and taught 12 of them to ski, wakeboard or wakesurf. I've deepend frienships and made new ones. I've spent a fair amount of money on gas, food and upgrades for the boat, but it's probably the best money I have ever spent. I have also found that the boat in my driveway, a bottle of wine, my wife and some tunes is a great way to spend the evening.
My name is Doug and I too am a Moombaholic!

kaneboats
09-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks for sharing, Doug. We could put your story in the brochure.

tgoody14
09-27-2012, 02:10 PM
^^^^^^^ x2

mmandley
09-29-2012, 09:25 AM
I feel the same as a lot of you about my boat.

I did just sell her but im sure she will bring as many happy memories and moment to the new owners. I can say buying our LSV was the best purchase i have ever made. In the past i always liked summer but never really cared for it like i do winter. Now i love summer and cant wait for it to come around.

I have literally 100s of new friends over the last 4 years of boat ownership. People from this forum, people i meet because we have the boat, friends of our friends that come out. I cant even keep track but one thing thats always nice is those friends always talk about there first time on the boat.

We really rolled the hours up this summer, starting with 175ish and finishing i expect after tomorrow 145. Thats by fare the most in one summer. We used to go out and float, eat, drink, and then board. Now we board, you eat and drink when its not your turn LOL.

One of the hardest things right for me is boat shopping, i absolutly love the SC family and this forum. What makes this forum is all the people and how nice everyone truly is here. The fact you can talk about boats, trucks, motorcycles, houses, and almost anything under the sun is awesome.

Many don't know but when we bought our boat me and Claudia never wake boarded, surfed, or anything. Claudia didnt even know how to swim. She had never been in a lake deeper then standing water. We jumped in both feet and went with it. Thats how i do things.

One last thing when it comes to money, there is no price limit i wont go for what we enjoy in the summers. I frankly dont care what the boats cost, i dont care about the price of fuel. I literally save all year to spend it during the summers and as always i never ask our friends for fuel money and i wont accpet <i cant come out because im broke> thats not a reason you come out anyways. I have even gave some frineds gas money for there car to come out for the day.

I get people all the time at work ask how i afford all the toys i have, some of its i dont have kids right now but i still manage to save over 1K a month. I think its all about priorities and money management. We dont eat out, we dont charge the credit cards, and i always buy the best i can afford when buying things for the house such as electronics, this way they last a long long time LOL.

iwaterskihard
09-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I think we all feel the same on here. Now with that being said it's waaay to early to put the boat away. Was just out yesterday skiing and had a great afternoon. Only 3 boats on the lake. Just chilled with the wife, our 2 little hounds, and the fall sunshine.I skied 4 times, had a few beers, and looked at the leaves falling off teh trees knowing the season is starting to dwindle down for us northerners.
Worst thing about the whole deal this year was the weather that really disappointed locally for the most part as the family didn't get the amount of running hours on the boat we normally do?
Geez - I guess that's why I always anticipate spring and summer so much! LOL

beat taco
09-29-2012, 11:14 AM
One last thing when it comes to money, there is no price limit i wont go for what we enjoy in the summers. I frankly dont care what the boats cost, i dont care about the price of fuel.

Then it's settled, order a new Star and call it a day!

mmandley
09-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Then it's settled, order a new Star and call it a day!

I didnt say i didnt care what i pay for one, i just dont care what the retail is. LOL