PDA

View Full Version : Winterzation recall

DOCDRS
09-22-2012, 11:11 AM
With the summer winding down and guys starting to winterize their boats I am adding something to the list.

Check the front transmission to hull mounts. On certain years the the castings was defective leading to premature bushing wear and failure. This will lead to a myriad of issues....strut bushing wear , engine misalignment and other possible unforeseen wear issues. Just because there are no vibrations does not mean this does not apply to you.

The check takes 1 minute to do . You can look at the rubber bushings and compare them , usually it will be most evident on the drivers side. Or you can feel under the mount and the lower nut and washer will spin freely due to settling of the bolt in the casting from bushing failure.

This is a cheap and easy fix, or if your dealer is close and you still have warranty it should be covered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwc7iy5T3Ic

Boonejeepin
09-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Replaced mine earlier this year. Did not want to drag the boat to the dealer and wait for them to get to my boat for a $15.00 fix.

skiyaker
09-30-2012, 08:43 PM
hey thanks for the tip- not sure I ever would have thought about checking this but sure enough my washers spin freely- so does that mean the bushings need to be replaced?

DOCDRS
09-30-2012, 09:53 PM
hey thanks for the tip- not sure I ever would have thought about checking this but sure enough my washers spin freely- so does that mean the bushings need to be replaced?

Well that means your engine has definitely settled on the bushings. When was the last time you checked the alignment? Look ate the bushings and see if they both look the same or has one mushroomed compared to the other? due to the rotation and thus torque on the drivers mount , this is the one that will fail quicker.

rdlangston13
09-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Just had both mine replaced, non warranty tho :-(. My engine looks like leans to starboard big time tho buy they said they aligned it. I guess it doesn't matter how the engine sits as long as the shaft and all is aligned.

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

skiyaker
10-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Well that means your engine has definitely settled on the bushings. When was the last time you checked the alignment? Look ate the bushings and see if they both look the same or has one mushroomed compared to the other? due to the rotation and thus torque on the drivers mount , this is the one that will fail quicker.

yup sure enough the driver's side bushing is mushroomed bigger than snot! I usually have the dealer check the alignment (just never been sure how to do it myself) but I'm not sure it happened last off season. I'm going to take her in tomorrow and have it checked out- thanks again for the info!

chawk610
10-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Does this go for DD's too???

DOCDRS
10-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Does this go for DD's too???

Yes if a defective casting was used.

chawk610
10-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Ok... I better have a look...