PDA

View Full Version : Block heaters

loudsubz
09-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Anyone keep their boat in the lake untill it's too cold to use safely? I was wondering if you guys use block heaters as a safe guard for the extended overnight lows... Or should I not worry?

parrothd
09-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Anyone keep their boat in the lake untill it's too cold to use safely? I was wondering if you guys use block heaters as a safe guard for the extended overnight lows... Or should I not worry?

You planning to use your boat as an ICE breaker? Small side jobs?!?...

New Guy
09-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Would you just run the magnetic type? Obviously the inline tank heaters will not work.

jmvotto
09-20-2012, 03:27 PM

how late are you planning. i dont see a hard freeze anytime soon up north.

BWeber
09-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Anyone heard of these or tried them?

http://www.wolverineheater.com/product-p/16.htm

I have heard the magnetic block heaters are not effective.

Block mounted heater work by heating the water within the block, which doesn't always exist in a marine engine since its open loop.

loudsubz
09-20-2012, 06:07 PM
how late are you planning. i dont see a hard freeze anytime soon up north.

We normally have it out beginning of october but this year we may want to see how far we can extend it. Problem is it sits all week until we are back up on weekends, and if we get a sudden cold spell I rather be safe than sorry. Already talked to Larry @ Indmar about disconnecting the manifold lines and draining the block but wanted to add a heater (if I could) as a fail safe.

I was originally thinking of the magnetic kind but was unaware of how they performed.

jmvotto
09-20-2012, 08:16 PM
We normally have it out beginning of october but this year we may want to see how far we can extend it. Problem is it sits all week until we are back up on weekends, and if we get a sudden cold spell I rather be safe than sorry. Already talked to Larry @ Indmar about disconnecting the manifold lines and draining the block but wanted to add a heater (if I could) as a fail safe.

I was originally thinking of the magnetic kind but was unaware of how they performed.

Does it sit on a lift all week?

loudsubz
09-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Does it sit on a lift all week?

in the water

usaski1
09-20-2012, 11:05 PM
It isn't time to start worrying yet in Texas, but It does get that cold here, some times even drops to the teens. Every year I fret a bit about it, as boat is outside year round and on a lift. Cold nights, I put it in the water. Sometimes thrown a light bulb in the motor hatch. Always worried about my boat going up in flames. Looked at expensive "extreme" heaters and of the like. Also looked at oil pan heaters, but never bought one. Heard they are just as unsafe too. If I kept the clam shell open, but put a oil pan heater on it, would that be safe?

jmvotto
09-21-2012, 05:27 AM
in the water

If it sits in the water, it's going to closely track the temps of the water dwn to a certain point. So I think you will be fine.

You can always throw a wool blanket over the engine for safety. It's when the boat is away from the water and the air temp freezes pretty well that you may have a problem.

ga-lsv05
09-21-2012, 08:25 AM
I hang a traditional bulb type shop light in the engine bay. That will easily keep the compartment above freezing.

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

Hoopskier
09-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Block mounted heater work by heating the water within the block, which doesn't always exist in a marine engine since its open loop.

I would think a traditional block heater would work, one with the heating element in the water jacket. There is always water in the engine block, hense the reason to drain the block in preparation for winter months. Eventhough these are open loop cooling engines, they are not self draining. Depending how warm the element got, it may be enough to keep the rest of the engine bay warm since engine bays are more enclosed on boats than cars.

New Guy
09-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Matt I am pretty sure that the conventional tank heaters actually circulate the water therefore they wouldn't work.

Hoopskier
09-21-2012, 02:30 PM
I guess the correct term was frost block heater. It replaces the freeze plug in the side of the engine block. No circulation, just radiant heat.

I mean something like this;
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=chevy+engine+block+heater&um=1&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=575&tbm=isch&tbnid=m2nM531Zn_u0LM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kats-11612-Engine-Frost-Plug-block-heater-Chevy-GMC-Ford-Chrysler-Plymouth-/250912908608&docid=YbJe1Kj6zUpb1M&imgurl=http://www.warehouseautoparts.com/Product_Line/Kat/images/11612-00-800xsdw.jpg&w=497&h=794&ei=QLFcUKnmJYqU2gWjjYC4BQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=614&vpy=104&dur=1264&hovh=284&hovw=178&tx=115&ty=156&sig=103082345055973321877&page=1&tbnh=163&tbnw=102&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:95

Ian Brantford
09-21-2012, 11:05 PM
For those who cannot leave the boat in the water, these heaters are specifically designed for the task:

http://www.theboatsafe.com/

I'd use two: one for the engine compartment and one near the boat's heater core. Residual heat should protect the ballast system, I'd like to think.

usaski1
09-22-2012, 12:28 AM
I was always thinking an oil pan heater would work, I guess it couldnt be worse than a light bulb. Always worried about me or the boat going *boom* as some point due to vapor explosion. There must be a better way that doesn't cost $450. Some I know have installed quick drain plugs on their system, but shoot, we use out boat in the winter so much, what a pain.