PDA

View Full Version : Exile XM7 vs. XM9

KRAK
09-18-2012, 07:20 PM
I need some honest opinions friends.
I can only afford 1 pair of the above and a Harpoon.
We surf and wakeboard so I need the best all around speaker.
Which way should I go and why?
Does anyone have one set of either and how does it sound? All I see is everyone going with 2 sets.

Only Exile talk, ok???? ;)

Thanks in advance.
Kelly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmvotto
09-18-2012, 08:16 PM
One set of nines and the harpoon will do you just fine, the mid bass is much better than a 6.5 . It will be plenty loud at boarding and surfing.

moombadaze
09-19-2012, 07:07 AM
When i was planning my new system I talked with Brian at Exile, I knew I would only have 2 tower speakers, I dont want 4 this time around. We mostly surf, no party cove for us, not much wakeboarding at all. Anyway Brian's only suggestion was the Harpoon with 2 X9's. At this time the stereo system is still in boxes awaiting for the boat to be built so I have no idea how it all will sound at this time, but Im not worried as Brian has not steered me wrong in the past.

jmvotto
09-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Ian has this setup with two, i know he likes as well

KG's Supra24
09-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Agree with above, XM9 all the way.

EarmarkMarine
09-19-2012, 10:41 AM
This is pretty much universal knowledge and unrelated to any particular brand.
Any 6.5" HLCD gravitates toward bright. The horn is dominant over the midbass driver and reaches out for distance but the midbass/midrange output seriously lags. And, a smaller HLCD is definitely too bright for near field sound quality listening. Few have been satisfied with a single pair of any 6.5" tower speaker whether conventonal or HLCD. Many, however, may be satisfied when using multiples.
So if using a single pair of tower speakers, definitely go with the larger 8" driver in a larger pod of the XM9. It's more powerful, more balanced and has better midbass than the 6.5" XM7.
Starting with a pair of the larger XM9s significantly decreases the need to upgrade later. All around it's a better call and a no-brainer.

David
Earmark Marine

KRAK
09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
This is pretty much universal knowledge and unrelated to any particular brand.
Any 6.5" HLCD gravitates toward bright. The horn is dominant over the midbass driver and reaches out for distance but the midbass/midrange output seriously lags. And, a smaller HLCD is definitely too bright for near field sound quality listening. Few have been satisfied with a single pair of any 6.5" tower speaker whether conventonal or HLCD. Many, however, may be satisfied when using multiples.
So if using a single pair of tower speakers, definitely go with the larger 8" driver in a larger pod of the XM9. It's more powerful, more balanced and has better midbass than the 6.5" XM7.
Starting with a pair of the larger XM9s significantly decreases the need to upgrade later. All around it's a better call and a no-brainer.

David
Earmark Marine

So let me ask this then, 1 pair of XM9's or 2 pairs of XM7's?

jmvotto
09-19-2012, 12:40 PM
so let me ask this then, 1 pair of xm9's or 2 pairs of xm7's?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

xm9..........

KG's Supra24
09-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Also agree on the single set of XM9 unless you just love the look of 4.

MLA
09-19-2012, 01:03 PM
2 pair of 6.5" will be louder then 1 pair. Its basically more of the same. The larger 8" will give you lower mid-bass, then any number of 6.5".

EarmarkMarine
09-19-2012, 01:10 PM
So let me ask this then, 1 pair of XM9's or 2 pairs of XM7's?

That would depend on your objectives.
Two pair of XM7s would give you more peak output. Keep in mind that you are now developing a little more than a 50 percent power increase in addition to the obvious increase in the collective surface area with a second pair. More quantity of the same speaker increases output but has a minimal impact on the speaker characteristics.
The XM9 will have deeper midbass extension and a warmer balance to begin with.
So based on my personal objectives, and given the choice between just these two options, I would go with a single pair of the larger XM9s.

David
Earmark Marine

Brianinpdx
09-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Krak -

This question comes up often. All this stuff is expensive. If cost is the driving factor, the clear answer is 1 pair of XM9's. Case closed.

The more detailed answer needs to factor in a few things. XM9's will give you more mid bass. If you have no subwoofer in the system, then this is critical. You can tune the XM9's down to 80Hz, where the XM7's tune to 110HZ. If you have a decent sub in the system, then you need to start thinking, do I want 1 pair or 2 pair cosmetically on my tower. How much do I value head room-- (XM9's are a bigger enclosure). You can then decide on trade offs between going with a single pair of large XM9s versus 2 pair of XM7's.

A third view point (which I usually suggest) -- start with a single par of XM9's and then down the road (if needed), add a second pair of speakers into the system. If your powering with the harpoon amplifier then you'd be ready for a second set amplifier power wise. And to be fair, the opposite is true as well. If you dont ever want to add a second pair of tower speakers, then step out of the Harpoon amplifier and go with the 800.4 and save some bucks:

These are the configurations I'm speaking about:

800.4 + 1 pair XM7 or,
800.4 +1 pair XM9 or,
Harpoon +1 pair XM9 (leaves room to upgrade next season)
Harpoon + 2 pair XM9

Here's some more information for you. I snapped a quick picture to take a look at between the two models. the XM7 driver is on the left. You can see its a very simple traditional horn type speaker. On the right, the XM9 speaker looks very different. We did some special stuff to its design in that each part is designed from the ground up (all custom tools). People often associate it with an 8" speaker but its actually about 14" bigger than a traditional pro audio off the shelf 8. It's also lighter because its basket is built into the driver itself out of plastic. A lot of thought was put into it to make it lightweight, yet larger, than its XM7 brother. I dont mean to be talking down the XM7. It's just the XM9 is newer in a lot of ways.

There are some other details that make it cooler than the XM7 as well. The grills can be rotated in 360 degrees so they lineup correctly. The XM7 cannot. The logo on the back can be removed to uncover a switch that attenuates the horn high frequency so you have a subtle shift toward more of an SQ setup.

Both the XM7 and XM9 will come with the neoprene bags and also the spin mount clamps. I didn't catch what Moomba you have, but they will mount directly into the V2 tower if you have that on your boat.

To sum it up:

If head space is the primary concern. Go XM7
If sound performance is the primary objective. Go XM9

Good luck.

-Brian
Exile Audio

ian ashton
09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
When have you ever heard "7 is enough" - Obviously she wants the whole 9!

She being the boat, of course. Get your mind out of the gutter!

EarmarkMarine
09-19-2012, 05:23 PM
I guess I'm just a technical and detail guy. But when we start comparing one product to other products outside the brand I want us to have the exact and correct facts or else never make alternate brand comparisons.
Speaker surface area is measured from the center of the outer surround to the center of the outer surround. That is the industry standard.
The Exile XM9 midbass driver measures 7.0".
Another nameless ProAudio 8-inch driver measures 6 & 11/16".
There is exactly a 5/16" difference. It's hard to round up an inch with a 5/16" difference.
This difference in diameter equates to a 9 percent difference in surface area...and not a 14 percent difference. It requires nearly a 30 percent difference to gain a 1 dB increase. And a 1 dB increment is the minimum difference that the human auditory system can discern in a perfectly 'quiet' room let alone an environment with ambient noise levels. So unlike the comparably large differences between a 6.5" and 8" or an 8" and a 10", this difference is so small it cannot be heard.
If comparing to an 8" surf speaker from this alternate brand with a continuous midbass cone the difference in surface area is only 4 percent. Realistically it would take ten times that 4 percent difference to gain a minute audible advantage.
Now, it's really not possibly to compare products of other brands based solely on surface area because surface area is only part of the performance equation. Output is determined by displacement and displacement is a combination of surface area AND excursion. There are a number of elements that determine controlled excursion like cone rigidity and voice coil length and driver compression to name just a few. So if referencing another product outside of one manufacturer you must be prepared to know and provide the whole story.
I didn't bring up another "traditional off-the-shelf 8" for comparison sake but I certainly get the implication. So please do not compare speakers based on such simple and deceptive (although this may be unintentional) statements and I won't be compelled to correct them. Just keep it real. Thanks.

David
Earmark Marine

jmvotto
09-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Really........

moombadaze
09-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Really........

agreed, all that technical jargin makes no sense to me, must be a comment for the 1%.

A simple answer with why your recommending a product would help somebody like myself so much better.

Sorry David but you loose me with your stuff about 99% of the time.

mmandley
09-19-2012, 07:57 PM
agreed, all that technical jargin makes no sense to me, must be a comment for the 1%.

A simple answer with why your recommending a product would help somebody like myself so much better.

Sorry David but you loose me with your stuff about 99% of the time.

Thats the point, lose you in the techy talk so you have to contact him direct.

Dave with all do respect untill the last post i was thinking you truly wanted to help the OP, I dont think Brain was pointing fingers at any particular brand in his post, directly or indirectly.

Id also advise you to do the same with your advise >>I didn't bring up another "traditional off-the-shelf 8" for comparison sake but I certainly get the implication. So please do not compare speakers based on such simple and deceptive (although this may be unintentional) statements and I won't be compelled to correct them. Just keep it real. Thanks<< Ive seen these type of things played out more then once on this forum between Earmark and Exile.

Idealy id really like to see Earmark and Exile burry the hatchet on this forum and strickly just help answer peoples questions. Stop the indirect attacks, the baiting one another into an argument, and this brand is better then that brand.

People on the Moomba forum are real people who just want to get the best they can afford, and want to learn something about what they are buying before they buy it. Honestly i think theres only about 6 people who even care about Wetsound VS Exile in tech comparisons. Most just really want to know whats going to sound best for my dollar. The honest answer is a forum cant tell you that. Nor can a retailer or a Distributor. Only your ears can say what sounds better dollar for dollar.

EarmarkMarine
09-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Sorry guys but initially I simply answered questions limited to the two products as requested by the OP. And, it was based on personal opinions just like everyone else. Actually my comments were in harmony with everyone else. No other brand was mentioned nor was anything written that was derrogatory about this or any other brand. Just fine thus far.

It is when the reference to another product outside of Exile is injected that this will go off course again and again. The information offered that I reacted to was technical in nature and absolutely incorrect. I responded with technical information that is factual and accurate. Sure I get technical because I understand the technical part very well and it is the only part that is wholely objective. The bottom line message is 'don't hype your product in reference to another product that you are not qualified to comment on'. Subtle as it may be, this has been a reocurring theme. When the comments go in that direction mine will predictably follow. And I am completely comfortable with my comments even in the face of criticism.

Anytime I make a statement that is technical I welcome the opportunity to elaborate on any part of it and will do the best I can to break it down in better terms and make it more understandable. Just ask. I don't go out on a limb without the supporting background.

And Mike, you totally misunderstand and misrepresent my motives so please don't speculate as to what they are. As long as we are talking tendencies here and labeling behaviors, when I offer a contrasting opinion your approach seems to turn personal in nature. You might want to work on that.

I am going to continue to follow my own constitution whether the most popular or not.

David

rdlangston13
09-19-2012, 09:23 PM
so if the xm9 is only 8" is the rev10 9"?

EarmarkMarine
09-19-2012, 09:54 PM
David,
A Wetsounds REV10 is no less and no more than a standard 10" speaker.
For Wetsounds specific questions you could always start a new thread.
David

KG's Supra24
09-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Coming from a dorky profession myself, i read Davids comment as one dork telling another dork he made a calculation error.

I did read it and know it would bring criticism, though. I mean half of America is cool with being fed non factual info, right :p

But Mike, although often too technical, i appreciate the balance here and even the learning experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ga-lsv05
09-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Xm9's on the outsides of the tower now and add some xm7's towards the center later on.

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

EarmarkMarine
09-20-2012, 10:07 AM
ga,
I'm not crazy about mixing a 6.5" and 8" speaker on the same tower. Here's why. The SD (effective surface area) of the smaller XM7 is a little more than 19 sq.in. The SD of the larger XM9 is about 38 sq.in. Doubling the surface area usually results in a difference approaching 3 dB. Side by side I can tell you there is a big difference between the two. To put +3 dB into perspective that is equivalent to doubling the amplifier power. So here lies the challenge. You would need twice the power for the XM7 to reach the same amplitude as the XM9. That places the XM7 in a vulnerable power handling position. Or, you allow the XM9 to naturally dominate the XM7. In that case you have invested alot in additional speakers and power to only have a very modest increase in output. I have to recommend staying with symmetrical sizes whenever possible, especially in a one on one scenario.

David

KRAK
09-20-2012, 10:23 AM
How low do each hang below the tower? I can't find dimensions on the Exile web site.

dusty2221
09-20-2012, 10:31 AM
xm9
http://www.exilecaraudio.com/products/xm9/img/xm9-dimensions.jpg
Hanging Height: 10.5 inches (266.3 mm)
Speaker Height: 9.9 inches (251.2 mm)
Width: 10.0 inches (253.7 mm)
Depth: 10.2 inches (257.9 mm)
Hanging Weight: 10.8 pounds (4.9 kg)

xm7
http://www.exilecaraudio.com/products/xm7/img/specsdimensions.png

Hanging Height: 10.25 inches (260.35 mm)
Speaker Height: 9.0 inches (228.6 mm)
Width: 8.875 inches (225.425 mm)
Depth: 9.5 inches (241.3 mm)

Hanging Weight: 6.7 pounds (3.04 kg)

jmvotto
09-20-2012, 10:36 AM
here is a pic of mine not sure it helps as there are off to the side on a v2

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/jmvotto/b042e57d.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/jmvotto/c9dfc0d1.jpg

KG's Supra24
09-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Looks sharp JM. Those towers leave lots of headroom!

jmvotto
09-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Looks sharp JM. Those towers leave lots of headroom!

except with the playpen, i had a hat on and did not see the tower coming from the bow and almost knocked myself RTFout....it hurt and saw stars, the v2 is SOLID

wolfeman131
09-20-2012, 11:44 AM
looks sharp!

agreed!!!!

ga-lsv05
09-20-2012, 12:10 PM
ga,
I'm not crazy about mixing a 6.5" and 8" speaker on the same tower. Here's why. The SD (effective surface area) of the smaller XM7 is a little more than 19 sq.in. The SD of the larger XM9 is about 38 sq.in. Doubling the surface area usually results in a difference approaching 3 dB. Side by side I can tell you there is a big difference between the two. To put +3 dB into perspective that is equivalent to doubling the amplifier power. So here lies the challenge. You would need twice the power for the XM7 to reach the same amplitude as the XM9. That places the XM7 in a vulnerable power handling position. Or, you allow the XM9 to naturally dominate the XM7. In that case you have invested alot in additional speakers and power to only have a very modest increase in output. I have to recommend staying with symmetrical sizes whenever possible, especially in a one on one scenario.

David

Gotcha was mostly considering head room

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

bergermaister
09-20-2012, 12:46 PM
except with the playpen, i had a hat on and did not see the tower coming from the bow and almost knocked myself RTFout....it hurt and saw stars, the v2 is SOLID

True - but nothing a few cold brews can't fix. I'd take that over picking up my teeth off the carpet!

Off topic Question - do you have to rotate the racks in to lower the tower?

jmvotto
09-20-2012, 03:36 PM
True - but nothing a few cold brews can't fix. I'd take that over picking up my teeth off the carpet!

Off topic Question - do you have to rotate the racks in to lower the tower?

don't know. I have never tried and hopefully dont plan to.

:D

KRAK
09-21-2012, 07:18 PM
So I sold my Roswell stuff today! Got a bit more than I thought I would get for it.

Gonna go with 4 XM9's!!!!!!!

Show me some pics of how you all got em hanging (brand and size doesn't matter now, just need ideas) so I can see what looks good! I was thinking of staggering them on the forward and back bars (rad-a-cage tower). I know I saw a thread of this a while ago but can't find it. Anyways, I know that none of you are scared to post pictures of your setups.

Thanks for the help in spending my money gents, and for all the advise!!
Kelly

kaneboats
09-21-2012, 09:40 PM
It's what we are all here for. Now you also be sure to post pics of your setup once you get it all dialed in, OK?

jmvotto
09-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Nice , 4 XM9's you wonts be disappointed.....

KRAK
09-21-2012, 11:03 PM
It's what we are all here for. Now you also be sure to post pics of your setup once you get it all dialed in, OK?

Of course I will.

Throttle Box?????
Yes or no????
Is it worth it?

jmvotto
09-21-2012, 11:12 PM
I did not buy one for my setup, but I have an eq so I can dial back if needed. IMO

KRAK
09-21-2012, 11:15 PM
No EQ for me, yet......

KRAK
09-24-2012, 08:45 AM
What would be more beneficial, throttle box or EQ?

jmvotto
09-24-2012, 10:12 AM
What would be more beneficial, throttle box or EQ?

IMO the eq, cuz the zm9 have a tonal switch with easy access and the eq can adjust the highs of the horn.

EarmarkMarine
09-24-2012, 10:29 AM
An EQ all the way because it serves multiple roles. It can shape speakers, act as a multi-zone control and much more.
The Throttle Box is a fixed notch filter and doesn't really do much for an XM9 specifically.
The XM9 built-in tweeter attenuation switch is a 1-ohm resistor on a 4-ohm tweeter so you get very little audible attenuation.

David

Brianinpdx
09-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Krak - The two are mutually exclusive. Over all flexibility would be hands down installing an EQ. Typically those are more expensive then the built in features of the Tbox or tonal switches built in the XM9's.

The switches on the XM9 effect the horn function. The speaker doesn't have a tweeter as mentioned above.
The throttle box is not a notch filter. It manipulates the phase of the horn from narrow to wide.

Both features are subtle changes at rider distance.
An EQ of any brand, would offer dramatic changes at all distances.

If you'd like more detailed info, shoot me a pm.

-Brian

EarmarkMarine
09-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Not to argue but since the above contradiction I would like to politely defend a few technical facts.
All horns have a diaphram at the base of the horn. That diaphram is either a tweeter, midrange or woofer. In this case it is a tweeter diaphram for a 'horn tweeter'. When you take the horn apart you will find a titanium dome tweeter loading into a compression chamber at the mouth of the horn. Essentially this is the same design that has been around since the late 1920s. Read my 'Anatomy of an HLCD' article.
A Double-Throw, Single Pole switch at the nose of the XM9 places a 1-ohm resistor in or out of the 'horn tweeter' circuit and when active the resistor is in series before the 2nd order highpass filter of the 4-ohm 'horn tweeter'.
The math to calculate series resistance related to attenuation is:
Take the amount of attenuation in decibles desired. Divide by 20. Convert that to it's inverse log with your scientific calculator. Multiple that times the tweeter's nominal impedance. Subtract from the answer the tweeter nominal impedance.
In this case we are looking at about 1 dB of attenuation under linear conditions. However, the tweeter impedance rises at higher frequencies thereby minimizing the attenuation. Also, the highpass passive crossover increases in impedance as you enter the crossover zone. Both conditions minimize the impact of the resistor and minimize the attenuation at the extremes of the 'horn tweeter' operation. 1 dB is considered the minimum level that the human auditory system can discern. So you may not hear much of a difference with the switch in either position. But don't go by the math. Just listen for yourself.
I think an alternate way of obtaining the 'horn tweeter' attenuation would have been to use a DPDT switch with series/parallel resistance after the passive crossover and before the 'horn tweeter' so the net impedance would be the same whether or not the resistors are in the circuit. This would have helped stabilized the 'horn tweeter' impedance and provided a more linear (equal at all frequencies) attenuation. I would probably go for a 2 to 2.5 dB of attenuation so that the effect is more noticable. Just my opinion on that. Hope this helps.

David
Earmark Marine

sandm
09-24-2012, 05:15 PM
man, nothing like a mathmatical pissing match..

how about if we all agree to disagree and move on. I'm sure the next post would be brian disproving everything david just posted.. and so on...

you guys are both experts in your field and we all know this. it was an exile thread so I believe that we should leave the answering to brian and let brian stay out of the threads asking for opinions on places to purchase non-exile gear and wetsounds :)

wolfeman131
09-24-2012, 05:18 PM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn48/Grothraw/Dragnet.jpg

KRAK
09-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Both features are subtle changes at rider distance.

-Brian

so why bother with either than?

dusty2221
09-24-2012, 05:54 PM
He was speaking in regards to the switch on the 9 as well as the Throttle box. The decision is clear, an EQ will give you more control and allow you to fine tune.

Brianinpdx
09-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Krak - To answer your question many people don't want to take the plunge for a 200-400 eq solution in a boat. If you dont have an EQ, these are great features to have. If you do have an EQ, these are redundant things to have. Does that make sense? Sound is such a subjective thing. To much coloration /alteration can be bad. And the same goes with not enough.

I'm not at all trying to down play putting an EQ in a boat, but for many, it just adds to the complexity of the entire system which can bring noise and install headaches into the picture. From a personal point of view, I like EQ's in a boat for all the NON eq functions they typically offer. Most Eq's in this day and age have line drivers and zone controls built into them. Good stuff!

If your starting from scratch, I'd recommend going with an "EQ". It all boils down to cost versus benefit. Make sense?

Sandm - I'd agree. I dont see the point to getting into technical theory in forums. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I've spoke to the admins. They know my position. Nuff said.

-Brian

sandm
09-24-2012, 06:33 PM
totally agree on the eq point if nothing more than a great zone controller. one of the comments I kept getting on the last boat was how nice it was to fade the surf hlcd's out when chillin at the dock so you don't piss off the people at the next dock, but I wish I would have added a real eq as opposed to just a fader to have the ability to balance the cabin/tower when surfing. too often the boat was too loud and no one could carry on a conversation while the surfer wanted tunes loud.

It's on my must-have list for the next install this month. hoping mike remembers my zld :)

saskyrider
10-31-2012, 12:50 PM
I went with the ZLD and now i'm going to sell my KMR 700U headunit as it doesn't get used. I just plug my phone into the aux in port on the ZLD and rock on... so handy. I also installed a bluetooth setup as well and use that most of the time.

KG's Supra24
10-31-2012, 01:01 PM
What bluetooth device are you using? I know several on here have contemplating going with a bluetooth setup, including myself. Are you using the Exile puck or another brand? Are you happy with it?

jmvotto
10-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Did the exile unit ever go to market?

EarmarkMarine
10-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Just an FYI, Wetsounds is currently building a wireless linking device based on the same proven Channel Vision technology I use for whole house distribution of XM radio and a music server. And it works great over long distances and through walls.

David

MLA
10-31-2012, 08:23 PM
The Exile "Air Puck" as it was going to be called, was scrapped IIRC. I was a re-badged Avantalk BTTC-200 unit and had limited range and poor sound quality in receive mode when the MP3 player's volume was above half. Not a total bust at only $35, but not nearly the best BT unit out there. I cant wait to see whats new from WS.

Brianinpdx
11-02-2012, 04:39 PM
JMV - no our piece has been put on hold because the lossless codecs we require are not available in the united states. We are looking hard at another solution based on true 24 bit digital audio. We may offer two solutions in 2014.

MLA - I'm not sure where you get your information but your mis informed. My guess is you've been reading old WW stuff. Please dont post stuff like that sir. Its really misguided information. The admins have asked retailers and mfg's to not promote products on the site. If you'd like accurate info about exile please contact me off line and we can rap about it. Theres actually quite a few devices currently on the market that have very good spec's in my opinion.

MLA
11-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Brian,

If something I have posted is incorrect, then please set the record straight. If you do not want to do it here publicly, then please email me the details. Its the same email and hasn't changed. I will gladly post the corrections so it will not appear that you are promoting your gear. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Avantalk and I am in no way recommending it. I am a consumer and the above opinion of the BT unit is what I have experienced with it.

EarmarkMarine
11-02-2012, 11:49 PM
I once met a hillbilly that ate a rasberry snow cone and had one bluetooth.

EarmarkMarine
11-02-2012, 11:52 PM
I had kind of a crush on her. Saw her through the bottom of an empty glass and lord she sure looked purdy.

EarmarkMarine
11-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Met her at the Stumble Inn.

jmvotto
11-03-2012, 08:08 PM
David, are you PWI again, raspberry aren't blue...

MLA
11-13-2012, 10:46 AM
The Exile "Air Puck" as it was going to be called, was scrapped IIRC. I was a re-badged Avantalk BTTC-200 unit and had limited range and poor sound quality in receive mode when the MP3 player's volume was above half. Not a total bust at only $35, but not nearly the best BT unit out there. I cant wait to see whats new from WS.

Well, I haven't received any corrected/updated info as of yet from Exile, so I reached out to them via email. I am not trying top start a p!$$!ng match here, but I whole heartily believe that consumers are owed accurate and factual information about potential product purchases. Brian stated that something that I have posted is inaccurate. I have made two offers to post a correction/retraction. As stated, if my info is incorrect/inaccurate, then I am more then willing to make it right. We will see.

In the mean time, I offered to edit "scrapped" and use "put on hold until further notice" since that better reflects what was posted by Brian in a prior WW thread.

beat taco
11-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Well, I haven't received any corrected/updated info as of yet from Exile, so I reached out to them via email. I am not trying top start a p!$$!ng match here, but I whole heartily believe that consumers are owed accurate and factual information about potential product purchases. Brian stated that something that I have posted is inaccurate. I have made two offers to post a correction/retraction. As stated, if my info is incorrect/inaccurate, then I am more then willing to make it right. We will see.

In the mean time, I offered to edit "scrapped" and use "put on hold until further notice" since that better reflects what was posted by Brian in a prior WW thread.

Your website lists Exile as one of the products you sell, do you sell Exile audio equipment?

Brianinpdx
11-13-2012, 01:03 PM
@MLA - you sent me a msg at 627 AM west coast time today. I will respond to you. I'm out of the office today with a sick child en route to the doctors office. Most people know, I'm a family guy first and foremost above all else.

@ Jake - MLA is a retailer, not a consumer. He is no longer an Exile retailer.

-Brian

KG's Supra24
11-13-2012, 01:21 PM
http://www.shower-curtains.org/ProductImages/blonderwinter/love_winter_curtain.jpg

MLA
11-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Your website lists Exile as one of the products you sell, do you sell Exile audio equipment?

I parted ways with the Exile brand at the end of 2011. I lost confidence in the product and no longer felt comfortable showing it to my customers. Website will be updated as soon as all current stock is moved.

Just to clarify, I AM a consumer of the avantalk BT and not a retailer of avantalk, which is what is being discussed here.

@ Brian, Sorry to hear you have a sick child, hope they get to feeling better. No hurry, reply at your convenience, I just wanted to update the thread since its been about two weeks since you called me out for posting inaccurate info. I take that to heart. If im wrong, im man enough to admit it and we will move on.

beat taco
11-13-2012, 03:01 PM
. I lost confidence in the product and no longer felt comfortable showing it to my customers. Website will be updated as soon as all current stock is moved.

on.

That could be never with that sales pitch!

MLA
11-13-2012, 03:58 PM
That could be never with that sales pitch!

No worries, I dont make sales pitches, there's enough of that to go around. I tend to tell it like it is, inform the consumer and let them decide. No exaggerated specs or over-stated output...."just the facts, ma'am". :p :cool:

beat taco
11-13-2012, 04:03 PM
No worries, I dont make sales pitches, there's enough of that to go around. I tend to tell it like it is, inform the consumer and let them decide. No exaggerated specs or over-stated output...."just the facts, ma'am". :p :cool:

And from your own website....
Exile engineers examined the physics behind professional sound reinforcement acoustics, boat tower mechanical considerations and the open air musical distortion characteristics of the marine environment. What started as an idea became a vision and eventually turned into an engineering collaboration spanning several different industries. It was the efforts of many that allowed Exile team to, "Dream it, Design it, and Build it from the ground up". The XM tower speaker system is built with incredible precision for the marine environment and is capable of projecting full force Hi-Definition sound at 80 feet and still offer clear, warm and full sound for your passengers sitting onboard. The bottom line: Your ears don't lie. Listen to the XM series speaker and experience crystal clear sound

Only reason your lack of respect towards BrianPDX surprised me.

moombadaze
11-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Boy o boy, wake world thread we have here.

dusty2221
11-13-2012, 04:19 PM
I hate when every audio thread gets labeled as a WW thread just because there are disputes or people against the grain regarding a brand. I completely disagree with that labeling and personally, enjoy reading and learning from them. I have an entire Exile boat and think the FREE information is great regardless of what is on my boat.

MLA
11-13-2012, 04:22 PM
And from your own website....
Exile engineers examined the physics behind professional sound reinforcement acoustics, boat tower mechanical considerations and the open air musical distortion characteristics of the marine environment. What started as an idea became a vision and eventually turned into an engineering collaboration spanning several different industries. It was the efforts of many that allowed Exile team to, "Dream it, Design it, and Build it from the ground up". The XM tower speaker system is built with incredible precision for the marine environment and is capable of projecting full force Hi-Definition sound at 80 feet and still offer clear, warm and full sound for your passengers sitting onboard. The bottom line: Your ears don't lie. Listen to the XM series speaker and experience crystal clear sound

Only reason your lack of respect towards BrianPDX surprised me.

Those are Exiles own marketing words, copied right from their website. Now, if you want to discuss audio gear, lets discuss audio gear. If you want to know the specifics of my past experience with Exile, then feel free to send me a PM, as this thread is not the place. I have nothing to hide and will gladly answer any and all of your questions in a private conversation. What brands I sell or do not sell is irrelevant.