PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in 04 XLV

Reno1843
08-03-2005, 01:57 PM
I currently have seven cracks in my gelcoat. I previously had cracks upon delivery that were later repaired at the dealer. I am confident that Skiers Choice will do the right thing and repair these current cracks. I am currently working with my local dealer here in California to obtain authorization for the repairs. I have 90 hours on a 04 XLV, and it is still under warranty.

My question to the other board member is, will Skiers Choice continue to repair these cosmetic gelcoat cracks after the two year warranty? It is obviously a continuing problem that is a factory issue. I have read several other previous posts, and I see several others have had this problem. I am hoping some of you have run this course prior to me, and can offer me some info. I am wondering if Skiers Choice has done the right thing in the past, or has anyone needed to seek legal action. I am hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Reno.

mobiusLSV05
08-03-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm just wondering if the original cracks you are talking about are anything like the ones I have. I pointed them out on delivery to the dealer, and they said they were "mold marks" an imperfection in the mold. They looked just like spider web cracks only they ran only horizontally. They are located just under the rubrail on the back orf the boat. If this sounds familiar, what method did they use to fix it. I dont want it to look worse than it already does.

Reno1843
08-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Mine were actual spider web-style cracks near the gear shifter/throttle. The dealer ended up grinding out a portion of the fiberglass and gelcoat, and then applying new gelcoat. The dealer did an excellent job on the repair, and you would never know there were surface cracks there before.

I don't know about your marks. I would photograph them, and send them to Skiers Choice directly, or consult another dealer. I don't know if your dealer is messing around with you. If they are cracks and still under warranty, the dealer is paid my Skiers Choice to make the repairs, so it would not cost the dealer any funds. Hope that helped.

Reno

Reno1843
08-04-2005, 05:27 PM
PS: I hope nobody got the impression I was dissatissfied with my boat. I love it. It is an 04 23' XLV. It is huge, makes stadium jump-style wakes, and never seems to run out of storage room. I have no regrets on this boat at all. I only wish is I was a better wakeboarder.

Reno:)

AL02REDMOBLSV
08-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by reno1843
I only wish is I was a better wakeboarder.

Reno:)

I know how this statement goes. On my boat we feel like it is such a shame to do all these ugly things behind a beautiful boat.

Buttafewcoe
08-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Just remember, bad boarder or not, you are still representing, pimping, and i gots to tell you........ugly never looked sooo good!:p
Butta

LSV04
08-16-2005, 06:58 PM
My dealer called me this past April and told me that Moomba was doing a recall on hulls-mine was one of em.I dont know if the dealer was suppose to check for cracks or blistering but My 04 LSV had it and he was good enough to bring it to my attention-he could of said nothing and I would of not known until it got worse. Anyway, Moomba picked up the boat and ran it all the way back to Tennesee from here in NY and gave me a new hull!!!
It took longer than expected but doesnt everything-it came back like a new boat-the only thing that pissed me off was the dealer claimed he had to do a "new boat setup" costing me 750 fucking dollars!!! He kinda of laid that on me when I walked into the office and the boat was inside where I couldnt drive it away.
I never even followed up with Moomba to find out if they sent the boat back to the dealer in parts.I was just happy to get my baby back safely-I was pleased with how they handled it at Moomba. The son of a bitch also claimed that one of my decals was damaged and a new one had to be purchased and as he called it "installed" 275 f...ing dollars later-I would of told him to keep the sticker. I dont think I want to know what the price really is for the "Moomba" logo.
Im not knocking Moomba or Skiers Choice-I love the boat-the wake is awesome-My buddie has a 56,000 dollar Tige and the wakes are very similar-The boat handles well,its roomy for a family-looks great and I have to say Moomba was very cooperative.

qb12
08-16-2005, 08:46 PM
lsv2004, I can't begin to tell you how pissed I would be with both the dealer and SC if it is true quote" you have to pay for all this" when this was not discussed when you dropped the boat off. I think I would do more checking with SC and find out what is the truth behind all of this.

For some reason, I have a big problem with most dealers, (auto, boat and home builders in trusting anything they say).

Please do all of us Moomba brothers a favor and follow up with SC. I have found them great to deal with one on one.

Good luck,

Doug, t-town.

LSV04
08-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Ok boys ill check with Rob from SC this week. I can post the reciept to prove it-on top of this I had my dealer winterize,clean,shrink rap and store my boat last winter.($1,200.00)
I was so aggravated that my brother who is an attorney wanted to go after the dealer. I imagine this guy was on the outs with moombas.-Wakeboard boats are not as popular here yet.
After I got my boat back I just didnt want all the negative energy. I will look into it now and let you know what happens. I am confident that it was not SC it was the dealer.

LAMobiusLSV
11-28-2005, 03:57 PM
I too found cracks in the bow and on the left side above the rubrail. They are spiderweb like cracks I noticed in May 05. I bought the boat in June 05. I sent photos to the dealer but he couldn't make them out. It wasn't until September that I was able to get the boat to the dealer, (an hour away from my house), where he took photos and sent them to SC. I was advised that SC denied the repair saying that the warranty was only one year. So if there was a recall, anyone have a point of contact at SC? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reno1843
04-25-2006, 10:43 PM
I forgot to get back to the boards. My dealer took very good care of me. They repaired the cracks and upgraded my tower by installing aluminum feet and rubber cushions at the bases. I beleive the upgrade will help a lot. The 04 XLV's did not have feet where the towere bolted to the fiberglass, but the 06's did. I am very pleased.

Reno

DC_B
05-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Hey Reno, I heard about the kit for the 04 xlv tower feet at the Utah boat show form Russ Wilde. However I have been unable to get any info. about them from our dealer here in slc. If you could get some info about the kit and send it along it would be appreciated. Also maybe your dealers name and number. Thanks