PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Fins

volfo
09-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Someone school me on fins. I have two boards - one a Grindwater Mauka - this is a big, 5'6" epoxy surf style board. It has two fin slots, currently occupied from the dealer with great big fins. How would buying and installing smaller fins likely affect the board.

Second board is a Grindwater Release. This is an epoxy, thin skim or hybrid style, 4'9", 22" wide, with 3 fin slots. I liked it with all 3 fins a good bit better than the bigger board, but how should it react with just the center fin? How would it likely react with just the two outer fins? What if I bought and installed smaller fins?

Any help is appreciated. Just trying to figure out how this might affect the board. Will experiment in two weeks when I get back to the boat. Thanks!

wolfeman131
09-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Futures fins school: http://www.futuresfins.com/

Mauka - smaller fins will make is looser/easier to break free for tricks, but not as fast down the line to then carve back up the wave for big air

Release - much looser/easier to spin w/ only center fin, less so with just the outer 2.

volfo
09-12-2012, 06:58 PM
thanks for the link and info!

ga-lsv05
09-13-2012, 08:54 AM
I changed the fin on my p5 from a 2" to a 1" and it is looser to say the least. Spins much easier but much harder to drive back in as Wolfe said. You really have to work to keep the nose pointed in and drive the inside edge of the board into the wave to get pop at the top. Once you change to the smaller fins or less fins. Just drag your hand in the water for the first few rides to keep it pointed in until you get the feel for it

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast