PDA

View Full Version : Hard steering under load

trevormcfar
09-11-2012, 08:17 PM
we have a 2008 xlv and when we have the boat loaded with people or ballast, the steering becomes stiff... Any thoughts on if this is normal?

ga-lsv05
09-11-2012, 08:45 PM
This is normal to an extent

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

MasterMind3002
09-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Have you replaced the steering cable? In my experience, you notice a bad cable under heavy loads before you notice it under light loads. My 2008 is starting to do the same thing. Fortunately, my steering is only slightly affected at this point.

mmandley
09-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Also when is it hard to steer? It will be harder to steer if you are under hard throttle, Surfing and turning against the wave, and wake boarding when turning around say in a U when loaded.

Running no ballast generaly light turns up to 45degrees should feel normal and when running slow steering should feel normal.

My experience is you also get tight spots when the cable is going bad.

Ian Brantford
09-12-2012, 09:35 PM
The prop has to push water past the prop much faster to overcome a heavy load, so there will be more resistance. The thing to know is whether or not there is MORE resistance than under the same circumstances than in the past. If there is, you probably will have to replace the steering cable in a season or two.

If there is some corrosion or wear taking place in the cable, as it becomes more obvious, the steering will be a bit stiff when you start out for the day and then loosen a bit as you use it. You'll have time to notice before it becomes serious.

trevormcfar
09-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Thank you for the info...