PDA

View Full Version : Attempted the Back Roll

rdlangston13
09-11-2012, 06:16 PM
I finally got the nerve this last weekend to attempt the back roll. I don't know what it is about doing "tricks" but it seems if i plan on doing more than just jumping the wake my body entirely forgets to basics of wakeboarding and getting pop. I guess I get thinks about it too much. So without further delay, here is my first attempt of the back roll ever!

http://youtu.be/BIcUzsGoAiU

on this attempt i did something to my knee that i ended up paying for that night and all day the next day. didnt hurt that bad at the time so i kept riding on it.

this is my final attempt of the day, so you can see how i progressed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imrk9TQ1HLc&feature=youtu.be

this one just about killed me, completely knocked the wind out of me and i was fighting my life jacket thinking that if took it off my lungs would work again. paying for this one still today

bergermaister
09-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Looked good. Right up to the part where you crashed....

Ah, to be young again.

Big Kahunas for giving it a go man!

ga-lsv05
09-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Another reason I don't wakeboard anymore

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

Dubwake21
09-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Congrats on the balls to try it. What was the focus/difference between 1 and Final to get you almost there?

jpetty3023
09-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Way to go hard David!

jmvotto
09-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Wheres the brain bucket!!

You got balls to try those.i have always wanted to give it a go too, but no how....

rdlangston13
09-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Congrats on the balls to try it. What was the focus/difference between 1 and Final to get you almost there?

About 15 wipeouts in between.

Actually Brett Howell (bhowell on the forum) was on the boat coaching me through it and that made a big difference as you can tell in the videos

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

rca
09-12-2012, 12:09 AM
You looked pretty close on the last one. Serious props for giving it a go. You'll hit it soon I think.

kaneboats
09-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Yup, and thanks for sharing. Nothing to be embarrassed about. It's a fight to nail any decent trick. You'll have this one soon.

blackout_58
09-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Honestly your last one looked about as close as you get before landing it. I was in your position at one point and getting the pop off of the wake is definitely the key to landing it. If you have not seen any of the load and release vids, I would suggest taking a few looks and seeing if that improves your landings. I am no professional by any means but I will try and upload a video of me doing one if it helps.

tnbrooks01
09-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Major progression from start to finish, props for that! Dang that was a gnarly front edge, glad you are OK!!!
I would shorten the line and slow the boat down, MUCH lower impact method of learning new tricks.

It's a little hard to tell but it looks like too much weight on back leg going in and trying to initiate the flip too early causing you to wheelie out or flip too fast losing all of the height needed to clear both wakes. Go into the wake more 50/50 or even 60/40 (just before board tries to punch through lip of wake). This will keep the surface of board on water longer and ride completely up the wake helping to give you proper trajectory (sp??)

I don't know if it will help much but here's a short cell phone clip of my son doing a heel backroll. You can see he had just a tad too much front foot weight and punched through a little but still had enough height to clear the 2 wakes even with the slower rotation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I18X9sG3bRY&feature=plcp

rdlangston13
09-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Yeah I watched the book and I pretty much just skipped the whole graduation ladder method. Definitely going to slow the boat down my next time out, that fall killed me, I'm still hurting and that was on Sunday. I figure we can slow it down to like 18 or 19? The line was already pulled into 65 ft which is as short as mine goes. Thanks for all the tips, I have about 3 weeks to heal before I can try again haha

tnbrooks01
09-12-2012, 02:36 PM
I figure we can slow it down to like 18 or 19? The line was already pulled into 65 ft which is as short as mine goes.

18-19 should be money and wake will be bigger too. You can put your line at any length you want using this method. However, if you are using a plastic coated line it will probably cut through the plastic. I started my son at 50ft and worked up from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-nef3BGSnQ

loudsubz
09-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Have you tried a tantrum? For me I had a hard time getting the gist of a backroll but the tantrum was easier to understand and execute.

bzubke1
09-13-2012, 11:40 PM
I'd do what todd said and slow it down til you get a good feel for the trick, no reason to take unnecessary hard falls. I would give a couple tantrums a try as well and then work on whatever feels more natural for you.

tnbrooks01
09-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Tantrum is definitely easier on the body as far as the learning crashes go.

rdlangston13
09-14-2012, 02:46 AM
I don't want fog my mind with trying to learn two at once and then only be able to execute two tricks half way. I'll concentrate on the backroll and once I'm getting it consistent I will begin to work the tantrum

WaterBullDawg1980
09-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Tantrum is definitely easier on the body as far as the learning crashes go.

This...I got my tantrum after three tries but it took me probably 4 trips out to get the back roll. For some reason much harder for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lawdog
09-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Did you have any ballast loaded? If so how much? How fast were you going in the video? I want to try an invert before the end of the season. Toss up between the tantrum or backroll for me too but I'm the same way and will only try to work on one or the other.