PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure Cutoff Switch

98Roo
09-11-2012, 11:15 AM
This switch was bad when I bought my boat and the PO had just bypassed it with a jumper to let the fuel pump run when ignition is on. This switch just cuts off the fuel pump when oil pressure is too low. I assumed this switch was bad so I replaced it with a switch from SKIDIM that is actually an Indmar part.
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=49-6007 This just converts it to two wires instead of three.
Switch works fine for 20 hours and then dies while I'm out on the water. Luckily my cousin was out in his boat to tow me to the dock. I figured it was this switch when I didn't hear the pump run while cranking so I bypassed it with another jumper and everything runs fine now.
Why would this motor kill these switches? My oil pressure gauge seems to be working fine and the motor hasnt seized up yet since I've had the switch bypassed so I imagine I have oil pressure. This switch resides under the distributor at the back of the intake manifold on my '98 Carb'd motor.

zabooda
09-11-2012, 03:33 PM
I haven't had a problem with mine. Two things kill switches, heat and amperage.

ga-lsv05
09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Maybe you should run an oil pressure gauge to be sure

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

98Roo
09-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I plan on replacing all the gauges this winter but my original Faria gauge seems to work fine. I called skidim and talked to thier service manager and he told me to send the switch back and he'll test it on a motor but all the electronics have a 90 day warranty. I guess I'll go ahead and trace/test the wiring to see if I have a short somewhere as well.

kelauben
07-06-2018, 05:32 PM
98Roo,

Did you ever get your switch problem solved? If so, what was the solution?

thanks.

karl

ddauer12
07-09-2018, 10:33 PM
Im having the same issue with my fuel pump!! I cant figure it out! I just replaced the 3 prong oil pressure switch on the back of the motor. I've tested all 3 lines. I still have no power to the fuel pump. My motor will fire right up if i spray from fuel in carb! i have exhausted everything i know. is there a way to bypass that switch. I have power from the switch to the carb. i have power down to the starter. Please let me know if anyone has this issue