PDA

View Full Version : Identity theft services

rdlangston13
09-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Anyone know of any good identity theft protection services?

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

maxpower220
09-10-2012, 01:42 PM
"Life Lock" is advertised on TV and the radio. I think it makes a difference if you need something pre or post ID theft. Hopefully, you are pre-.

Lawdog
09-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Take it for what it is worth, I work for our local police department and spoke with our fraud investigator about ID Theft. He basically stated that there isn't much you can do about it other than monitor your credit report AT LEAST once per year if not twice. If you see anything suspicious you need to report it immediately. With the increase in ID Theft over the past few years they have enacted laws that make it easier to dispute things on your credit report. Obviously be mindful on who you give your information out to.

sandm
09-11-2012, 12:17 PM
always pay for purchases online with credit, not debit. lot harder to get debit money back, if at all than disputing credit card charges and not paying the bill.

that's been my paypal/internet rule for a very long time unless I know the person I'm paying..

chawk610
09-11-2012, 02:07 PM
My wife and I have life lock... they watch like a hawk! No pun intended.

rdlangston13
09-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks, we ended up purchasing insurance from Zander and also enrolling in trusted id for preventive measures

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

maxpower220
09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
My wife and I have life lock... they watch like a hawk! No pun intended.

What do you think of the service and do you think it is worth the price? Thanks

My understanding is that they can block anyone (including you) from getting credit, opening accounts, etc until they confirm that it is really you. They also monitor your credit useage to make sure it doesn't pop up in China. Am I close to being right?

rca
09-12-2012, 12:12 AM
I"ve got it and that is what I see. They lock it as much as they can. I'm not sure that is fool proof, what is, but when we got the loan for the boat it was held up while they called and confirmed it was really me. They do watch your credit port and call you if they see something they think is odd.

I'm pretty happy with the service and I've been using it a few years.

chawk610
09-12-2012, 07:05 AM
^^^we like it as well.....

evoimport6
09-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Just signed onto life lock. Just had my wallet stolen, bastards!