PDA

View Full Version : Loading the Rudder

Garn
09-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I have an 07 Mobius LS (direct drive) and I would like more tension on my stearing wheel when I'm skiing the course. Has anyone here have experiece with grinding your rudder to get that tension? How much, what angle, etc?

Thank you,

Garn

mmandley
09-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Are you refering to the tension on the steering when when just going straight. The wheel will rotate slightly left and right before you actually apply pressure to steer the boat.

This might be just wear of the steering cable

moombadaze
09-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Ive read about the direct drives and what he is discribeing, the drivers want to tune the rudder so it allways need some presure on the steering wheel to go straight-they grind the rudder to achive this.

kaneboats
09-10-2012, 01:37 PM
I know a guy that knows how to do it. Call Jody, the owner of Florida Inboards. He can tell you what to do. Great guy!

(850) 215-19nine six

maxpower220
09-10-2012, 01:46 PM
You can check on ball of spray and the MC forum boards to have this fully described. However, you file off a small amount of material from the rudder to create a "wing" (which is really a camber) to weight the steering. It is my understanding that it does NOT require a lot of material to be filed to get a result. Also, it is a trail and error method. The good news is that you just file the other side to "fix" anything.

BTW, have you driven a boat that is weighted? I do not care for it unless you are only slalom skiing and in the course.

Garn
09-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks for your input everyone. We spend most of our time in a course. I want to get it just slightly weighted. I don't want it heavily weighted. I've driven one boat where it was weighted too much and it was a real pain.

beat taco
09-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I did this on my old boat. I filed the trailing edge of the starboard side at a 45* angle. I liked the feel of it and after some testing ended up with a pretty big wedge by the time I was done. No pics since the boat is gone. I would start small and tune it to your liking.

-Jake

usaski1
09-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Working on mine now.. As I have been for most of the summer. This is the third whack at it with the angle grinder, I've got a pretty good shave going on the right side we shall see tonight if it worked. When you let go of the wheel, it should drift to the right.. how much and how hard is up to you. My steering is way to floaty and neutral.

beat taco
09-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Working on mine now.. As I have been for most of the summer. This is the third whack at it with the angle grinder, I've got a pretty good shave going on the right side we shall see tonight if it worked. When you let go of the wheel, it should drift to the right.. how much and how hard is up to you. My steering is way to floaty and neutral.

Got any pics?

-Jake

usaski1
09-11-2012, 06:34 PM
I'll report back later... but here's what I've done so far.

'16071

usaski1
09-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Damn, I did it too much... now I gotta file the other side... Its strange, I wanted to feel a pull, I buzzed it, didn't feel much, then I really buzzed it, and now its like it went all at once...

Garn
09-12-2012, 11:34 AM
So the moral of this story is a little bit each time. Don't go for it all on one buzz.

usaski1
09-14-2012, 11:31 PM
I think i got it better. Filed the left side, and made a harder edge on the right side. Drives pretty well now I think. Let loose the wheel, and it turns pretty good, but not crazy. Now my hand isn't doing the back and forth corrections down the course.