PDA

View Full Version : Epic

ga-lsv05
09-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Anyone seen or ridden in or behind an epic? Certainly has cool factor in my eyes. How does that transom speaker setup sound? 375 hp sounds low for an 8.2l. Fast and furious anniversary edition is interesting to say the least.

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

wolfeman131
09-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Saw one live at the TX Jam. One of the ugliest bow lines I've every laid eyes on.

ga-lsv05
09-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Yea lol I thought the same about the bow.

wolfeman131
09-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Did look like it threw a nice wakeboard wake.

sandm
09-10-2012, 09:32 AM
it has, hands down, the ugliest nose in the towboat industry.. looks like they ran out of fiberglas to finish the front..

my dealer sells them but has not ordered one in a year. they have an amazing wakeboard wake but he said it was not a good surfboat. very hard to get a good wave dialed in and consistent. since the market here is surf-surf-surf, they are a tough boat to sell.

the transom audio is interesting. frees up a lot of room on the tower and won't blow the passengers in the boat out with loud hlcd's, but I would think if you were surfing, the sound is directed down into the water rather than at the rider once the boat is riding nose-high.

moombadaze
09-10-2012, 09:39 AM
boat is so fugly, dont think I could ever get past it, even with a world class surf wave

ga-lsv05
09-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Compare it to the side profile of a mb. Very similar to me

bzubke1
09-10-2012, 09:57 AM
If they would just finish the nose off it would look 100x better.

E4NASH
09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Compare it to the side profile of a mb. Very similar to me

Wha?! Have you ever seen a MB in person? I don't think the look similar at all, not the B52 anyway. I think it has a very classic appearance. I don't pay much attention to the Tomcat though.

But yeah the Epic is UGLY. Has a smug Bulldog look to it....another reason for me to not like it.

ga-lsv05
09-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Havent seen either in person but a quick google search shows them to be very similar in appearance. I guess just not hearing a lot about them sparked my interest

mmandley
09-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Theres a few threads about the Epic on Wake World as well. I have never personally herd a lot of great things about them but they are a very small company in the boating world.

The one i saw at the Texas Jam is the first i saw in person, i didnt get a chance to see it in action, or look to closely at it, the people who brought it < i think a dealer > just didnt seem to interested in pushing the brand as much as enjoying the party.

beat taco
09-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Active's selling a bunch, lots on the river this year. When a guy loads one up with options they are nice boats, definite 'Bu styling.

-Jake

mmandley
09-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Active's selling a bunch, lots on the river this year. When a guy loads one up with options they are nice boats, definite 'Bu styling.

-Jake

Are you talking about Epic boats? AWS doesnt sell Epic boats that im aware of.

bergermaister
09-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Transom embedded tunes and dual rudders are about the only thing that interest me. Too bad they look like they rearended somebody and never got fixed properly.

ga-lsv05
09-10-2012, 11:35 AM
The led lit giant epic logo on the side is cool to look at

ga-lsv05
09-10-2012, 11:44 AM
I also saw the turbo diesel in another thread on here researched and saw it was powered by a Hyundai diesel. Kinda cool as I've worked for Hyundai for 10 years and was wishing they would make a wakeboat considering they are the largest ship manufacturer in the world

mmandley
09-10-2012, 11:48 AM
I also saw the turbo diesel in another thread on here researched and saw it was powered by a Hyundai diesel. Kinda cool as I've worked for Hyundai for 10 years and was wishing they would make a wakeboat considering they are the largest ship manufacturer in the world

Man if i could get a Diesel in my boat, id be sold, then id be 3 out of vechicles in my stable are Diesels but i think the biggest problem with the Diesel is it would need to be a closed cooling system due to the engine needs to be 190 to operate efficently and pumping cold lake water threw it only keeps it in cold mode.

Id love to see more on that Epic they put a diesel in and know exactly how its cooling system works.

ga-lsv05
09-10-2012, 11:59 AM
My only concern would be the fumes while being towed or surfing especially.

sandm
09-10-2012, 12:05 PM
with wakesurfing running at lower rpm's and wanting tons of torque to get the boat out of the hole loaded down, seems that diesel would be a great application, but I'd question it's usability for slalom? seems that the higher rpm's would be better suited to a gas v8?

bergermaister
09-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Would probably need a multi-speed tranny behind it to be more versatile for higher speeds.

beat taco
09-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Are you talking about Epic boats? AWS doesnt sell Epic boats that im aware of.

Axis!

-Jake

mmandley
09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Jake ohh ok yea they move a lot of Axis boats, they have come a long way in the creature comforts in the last few years. Axis is owned by Malibu so thats why the styling cue is so simular.

As for the fumes i bet a FAE would stop a lot of that surfing but yea boarding and idle would smell a bit like a diesel. but for me a morning isnt a morning without a coffee and a diesel exhaust smell LOL.

Yes i agree for skiing you would be better off with a gas V8 but if they kept a multispeed trans in there it would be double.

Most modern diesels have a good torque from 1500 to 2200-2500 but max HP at 3500rpm.

I know on Claudia's Passat it pulls hard from idle to 2K, spins the tires really easy with an automatic but i have to be honest on the highway at 65 or 70 if you stomp it to pass you better have room because its way out of its power band and feels rather slow. I think if she had the 6speed manual it would be way nicer but thats hard to get unless you custom order the car.

My truck pulls hard to 100+mph but thats due to the tunner running my trans gears.

Diesels have there place and id love to see a boat maker impliment one to a wake board boat. I have seen a few in the jet powered river boats but they were closed cooling systems as well for salt water use.

moombadaze
09-10-2012, 01:01 PM
think i remember reading about a Xstar being converted to a diesel here n Florida, think it was a wake school boat.

Cody
09-11-2012, 11:39 AM
The Epic that was at the TX Jam was owned by a friend of ours - Fred. He was also at the pavilion during dinner & raffle sitting by Brian & Drew I believe.

I'm not the biggest fan of the look of the boat but I hear the wake is pretty solid.

Cody

mmandley
09-11-2012, 11:40 AM
The Epic that was at the TX Jam was owned by a friend of ours - Fred. He was also at the pavilion during dinner & raffle sitting by Brian & Drew I believe.

I'm not the biggest fan of the look of the boat but I hear the wake is pretty solid.

Cody

Yea i spoke to him, sorry thought he was a dealer the way he talked about it lol.
I recall him having tire troubles in that conversation.

rdlangston13
09-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Theres a few threads about the Epic on Wake World as well. I have never personally herd a lot of great things about them but they are a very small company in the boating world.

The one i saw at the Texas Jam is the first i saw in person, i didnt get a chance to see it in action, or look to closely at it, the people who brought it < i think a dealer > just didnt seem to interested in pushing the brand as much as enjoying the party.

The person who brought it is Fred White. He is the president of our Gulf Coast Wakeboarding Association and is not a dealer. Just his own personal boat and he came to enjoy the party.

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
09-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Maybe I should finish reading threads before I respond lol

WaterBullDawg1980
09-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Saw one live at the TX Jam. One of the ugliest bow lines I've every laid eyes on.

This.

But as mentioned I've heard the wakeboard wake is phenomenal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rdlangston13
09-11-2012, 05:40 PM
I know Fred's has about 4000 lbs of stock ballast and can fill in about 1 minute I believe.

I think they also offer seadek flooring through out and neoprene seats instead of vinyl.

But like others have said, front end is still ugly