PDA

View Full Version : oil change- Outback

pullmyfingers
08-01-2005, 11:00 PM
I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on changing the oil in my 05 Outback. I had the initial service done at 20 hrs. and it's time for the 50 hr oil change. I know where the filter is and how to change that but I'm not sure where the drain bolt is and how to get the oil out without getting it all over the place. Unfortunately, the owners manual for both the boat and the engine doesn't help much. Any assistance would be appreciated.

amonteroman
08-02-2005, 01:26 AM
I have an 04 Outback and though I have never changed the oil, during my initial inspection and orientation when I first bought the boat, the dealer showed me a tube that is clipped onto the back of the motor, this is connected to the bottom of the oil pan. They said all you do is un-clip the tube, put it through the drain plug hole, remove the bolt at the end of the tube and thats it, just drain the oil into a container, change the filter, put in new oil and your good to go.

Buttafewcoe
08-02-2005, 06:29 AM
that's correct a...........my advice is to warm up the engine (if possible) or the oil will take a long time to drain. Also, when taking off the oil filter, place a 'zip lock baggy' over the filter to keep from spilling oil into the bilge when you remove the filter. Works like a charm.
hope this helps
Butta

carsondoc
08-02-2005, 03:57 PM
The "Quick-Drain" tube is great. Warm up the boat to operating temp if possible. If not, you can still do it, just give it over night to drain completely. Stick the quick drain tube through the drain hole and remove the cap (use two open-ended wrenches to do this) and put it into a container that will hold 5 qts. I wait til the engine cools down before I take off the oil filter (that hot oil on your hands doesn't feel too good). I put a towel into the bilge under the oil filter, then use a zip-lock or bread bag over the filter after I have it loosened up. It will spill some oil and be a little messy. Then fill the new filter 3/4 full and replace it (don't forget to rub some oil on the gasket of the new filter). Recap the drain hose and put 4 qts of oil in the engine. Run to temp, then keep adding a little oil at a time til the engine is full. It's pretty easy and the quick drain really helps.

Good luck. After one or two times, you'll have it wired and be able to do it really quickly.

Rugburn
08-04-2005, 01:56 PM
I know this subject might be in other threads but I thought it would be a chance to talk about it again since we are talking oil changes here.

Is there a difference between automotive 15W-40 and marine 15W-40? Same question for the oil filter. Is there a difference?

Buttafewcoe
08-04-2005, 02:20 PM
The marine grade is supposed to have additives that the automotive grade does not have.
I did find a 15w-40 Pennzoil heavy duty grade @ Walmart for $1.78 qt. that used last time I changed mine.
In case you wanted to use a Fram oil filter, I think the # is TG30 for the 'tough guard' one.
Hope this helps
Butta

sloppy
08-12-2005, 10:31 PM
I e-mailed Indmar on the 15w40 subject. Indmar said that any 15w40 with SL/CH-4 grade meets requirements. So, something like Rotella T 15w40 will be fine. As far as changing the oil, get a fake a lake tool to feed water into the cooling hoses. This item can be bought from West Marine, Overton's and others. This device will allow you to do a lot of maintenance in your driveway. Warm the engine up to thin the oil, then pull the tube through the plug hole and drain it into a container. You might want to prime (put oil into the oil filter) prior to installing it. This way when started after the first oil change the motor will not have a small dry spell until the motor circulates oil to the filter.

firefighter
08-13-2005, 01:00 PM
I have an 03 LSV. The hose is too short to drain out the plug opening. So, instead I warm the engine up and use a suction hose to pull the oil out the fill hole. I get most all of it out and it saves me a trip to the dealer.

Mackr0s
10-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Anyone have a pic of this Quick Drain Hose or can describe to me where its located? I have a Mobius LS and am going to attempt to change the oil tomorrow with a friend.

Any help would be appreciated.

zabooda
10-25-2005, 11:49 PM
You should see a dead ended hose with a brass connection on the end running along on of the valve covers. Unclip it and put through the drain.

AL02REDMOBLSV
10-26-2005, 05:05 PM
I would love to see a pic of the tube on an LSV. I have always used a suction pump and gone through the dipstick. I have never noticed the "hose" on the LSV. It sounds like a time saver for sure! I am stuck in Atlanta for 3 weeks, so needless to say, I am nowhere near the boat. Pics would be appreciated.

Buttafewcoe
10-27-2005, 08:41 AM
On the '04 Outback, there is a big 'paper clip' looking hanger attached to one of the brackets used for pulling the motor out. If it's there, it should be readily visible. You can check at the oil pan, if you can get to it or feel for it, and follow any line or hose coming for the pan. I didn't notice mine at first. But one day I was admiring the power plant (it's a guy thing) and saw it.
Hope this helps
Butta

10-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Worked like a charm. Now onto changing the Transmission fluid.

Mackr0s
10-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Yep, it looks like a big ole paperclip at the end. I found it, and pushed it through the drain hole. Worked like a charm.

Next Im going to work on changing the tranny fluid. I talked to my dealer and they said use a pump. So off to the boat parts store for more goodies!

10-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Just changed the oil for the first time in my '05 LSV and used a 12V pump to suck oil out the quick drain hose. This let me get my pump pick up tube at the lowest point to get all the oil out. I went with Penzoil HD oil but opted for the K&N HP-2002 oil filter. Pump worked great for the transmission and v drive. Clip the leads to the starter and ground and flip the switch.

AL02REDMOBLSV
10-27-2005, 06:30 PM
I can not wait until I get to leave atlanta and go home. I want to get a beer...scratch that... a cooler of beer and just sit on the rear seat and just stare at the engine compartment. Butta I know exactly what you are talking about. While drinking beer and winterizing the boat, my wife walked out and caught me just sitting there staring at the sheer mechanical wonder of the LSV. When I get back I am going to try to go by my buddies house and visit the LSV. I am not sure if I miss my wife or the boat more. (I sure hope my wife doesn't find out about this message board!) Thanks for the tips guys. Still a pic of an LSV or an LS would sure be appreciated.

Buttafewcoe
10-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Yeah, my wife caught me a couple weeks ago while I was winterizing sitting and staring. I had to think of a good one fast...........I told her I was just taking a 'beer break'. That seemed to satisfy her and she walked away........whew, that was a close one!...:p
Butta

Father of 5
10-29-2005, 08:24 PM
The oil drain hose starts from under the motor. It is threaded into the oil pan on the lower most part of the motor. It basicly goes into the oil pan where a drain plug would be on a car. Mine was not clipped up where it should have been. I found the brass end by starting at the oil pan. Hope that helps

Buttafewcoe
10-30-2005, 05:12 AM
For draining the tranny, I was thinking of using a 'turket baster' to remove the fluid. That should work, shouldn't it? Those things are only a dollar or so apiece.
Butta

SPINS4
10-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Butta,

For changing the tanny fluid I used this 'Oil Boy':

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20002&langId=-1&catalogId=20002&productId=10677

It worked well, the turkey baster method would work, however I'm not sure it could reach
the bottom of the tranny and remove all of the fluid.

-Joe

Buttafewcoe
10-31-2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the tip. I haven't ever changed oil using a pump before. My Outback has only 105 hrs on it. Don't know if the service dept changed it @ the 20 hr interval, although I don't think they did, as it wasn't on the bill.
Butta

hydro
11-01-2005, 11:28 PM
I use the pump I had for my old stern drive. The pump attached to a quart bottle of lower unit oil. I stick the part that went into the bottle into the trans dip stick hole and the other end in a bucket, it works slick.