PDA

View Full Version : outback ski wake

jay dub
09-06-2012, 10:37 PM
I have a 2007 outback with tower, and have loved it. Recently we feel our wake has gotten larger and trying to figure why. A couple observations; 1- the steering has gotten loose, and will be replacing the connection in the stern soon. 2-I discovered that there are some relatively minor gouges to the bottom about 1/3 from the bow on the ridge line (teenage nephew using boat??). The boat seems to be "skipping about" and is difficult to keep straight, actually feels like it is planing too high in the water(like an over trimmed outboard) . I have checked the 3 blade prop, and looks ok, as does the drive shaft.
We ski with 15 off, just open water, 33-35mph, try to have 1/2 tank gas with driver and 1 spotter. There is a fixed plate on the stern. Having a tough time figuring what is up and hoping someone has some advise, as the wake is definitely higher, and steeper.

deerfield
09-06-2012, 11:33 PM
jay dub - A steep, high wake would indicate the boat is riding low, displacing more water. Everything else being equal, I would conclude there is a coupe hundred pounds of water in the bilge. If sloshing around, it might also explain the change in feel when steering that you describe as "skipping about". I don't believe the loose steering or minor gouges in the hull would have any connection to the negative change in wake when skiing. With a half tank of gas and only two people in the boat, you are running pretty optimal for slalom. It's the setup for mine, which like yours is an '07 with factory tower. Unlike yours, the wake behind mine is the same as day one. Please let us know the diagnosis after you get it figured out. Thanks. - Deerfield

wolfeman131
09-07-2012, 07:31 AM
I'm thinking the same as Deerfield and that your teenage nephew has been doing donuts in your boat and taking on water. Check the bilge for water and that the pump is working properly.

jay dub
09-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks, I will double check the bilge situation. I don't think there is any discernable water in the engine compartment. Is it possible there could be anywhere else? I have also become aware that when the boat is not perfectly balanced left to right with equal weight, the wake is very uneven. i.e. if the driver weighs 200lbs (me) and the spotter weighs 130lbs, the passenger side of the wake is considerably higher.

Is the any advise on messing with the fixed plate?

Jay Dub
2007 Outback

deerfield
09-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Jay Dub - I figure engineers who designed the Outback hull incorporated the fixed plate to provide additional ride performance and lift at certain boat speeds. Removing the plate may drop the stern, displace more water, and result in a slightly larger wake or longer distance to get on plane. Things to avoid in slalom and jump. Going the other direction, bending the plate to create an acute angle to the water might get you up on plane more quickly and further flatten out the table behind the boat. The fixed plate on my '07 Outback is approximately 3" deep and 22" wide. It is affixed to the underside of the hull with twelve screws. Assuming you have the same fixed plate, it would not be an easy thing to modify or change, so my advise is to leave it as is. - Deerfield

deerfield
09-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Regarding water in the boat, as far as I know there are no hidden compartments under the deck of an Outback. Water over the bow or stern will run to and settle at the lowest point. If you have water in the boat, you will see it in the area around the bilge pump and drain hole. No place else for it to hide in an Outback.

I agree with you that the boat needs to be balanced to get even wakes. Depending on the weight variance between driver and spotter, that can be a challenge. I understand the issue. My sons are big guys and can really throw off the balance. If lighter than the driver, just have the spotter slide as far as possible to the port side. Or add another spotter to balance out. That's about all you can do.

jay dub
09-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Yea, I have the same plate, and don't think it should be messed with. I will check it out when we pull the boat to see if any evidence of damage to it.

No evidence of water in the boat either, I will work on balancing weight, and play with putting some weight in the bow. Funny, have owned the boat fo 5 years and have always felt the wake was great, even with 3-4 people in boat. Never even occurred that weight balance was a significant issue. Now something is different. Thanks for your suggestions.
JW

outback

Mikey
09-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Another thing to consider may be items being stowed on board. Anchor, ropes ,lifejackets coolers etc. Have you added stereo and or extra battery's. carrying more items on/in the boat due to accumulation over the years etc. Its all added weight. I carry more now than ever,but if circumstances are right i try to epty all non essential items ,etc,including people to achieve the best case scenario for skiing. surfing on the other hand ,total opposite.. Keep us posted.

Mikey
09-08-2012, 06:45 PM
To this day the best waterski i have ever gone on was behind a Nautique 200. The wake was fantastic,to the point of being nearly nonexsistant. This was at a ski school in Florida,but what i'm getting at or too ,is that this boat was completely BARE. There was Nothing ,nonessential in that boat including the back seat other than a 150 lb weight ,which is/was removed depending whether a spotter was in the boat or not. This boat was EMPTY. Not even a couple CD's in the stereo. It was nearly Perfect conditions and thus a nearly Perfect wake. Weight in the boat makes a Big difference...

MasterMind3002
09-09-2012, 04:21 PM
I have the multi-sport wake plate on my 2008 Outback. Minor adjustments on the plate can make big changes in the wake. Have you checked out the condition of your fixed wake plate? If it's bent upwards, that could explain the bigger wake and the porpoising your talking about.

deerfield
09-09-2012, 06:16 PM
I have the multi-sport wake plate on my 2008 Outback.

MasterMind - Did the multi-sport wake plate come with your boat from the factory? Or did you install? How does it operate? What's good and bad about it? In what situations is it most/least effective? Very curious about adding it to my '07 Outback. Thanks. - Deerfield

maxpower220
09-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I have the wakeplate on my 08 Outback. It came factory, but when I was looking at boats, the dealer said that it could be added easily. In slalom, mine works best all the down (when viewed from the back of the boat). The only thing is forgetting after boarding to put it down and try to slalom. It only takes one crossing to notice. It can be changed on the fly.

For wakeboarding, it will shape the wake crest at different points for a given speed. I "may" help the wake get a little larger.

Overall, it's OK. I would not pay a lot of money for it based on my experience. Weight is going to change the wake more than anything for both slalom and boarding.

Mine is hydraulic using a trim tab (Bennetts), but the newer ones are electric trim.
Hope that helps

deerfield
09-09-2012, 09:00 PM
max - Yes, your experience helps. Multi-sport trim tab goes to the bottom of the wish list. Thanks! - Deerfield

MasterMind3002
09-10-2012, 09:26 PM
My wake plate was a factory option. What's really great about the wake plate is the ability to use it to tune the wake. While weight is certainly the most important factor in the size of the wake, the wake plate can be used to adjust the curl and the shape of the wake. As Max said, it's adjustable on the fly and can take my boat from a non-existent wake to a wake suitable for wake surfing in 10 seconds.

It's also nice on the those rough days. You can move the plate all the way up and the nose rides higher in the water so the boat is taking the waves on the beefier part of the hull. I also use it during our ski shows for pulling pyramids and acts with multiple skiers. Lowering the wake plate forces the nose down and literally makes the boat rise up in the water when power is applied. This has the effect of less boat in the water and puts all the power into forward motion.

Personally, I would never have another boat without one.

deerfield
09-10-2012, 10:31 PM
My wake plate was a factory option. What's really great about the wake plate is the ability to use it to tune the wake. While weight is certainly the most important factor in the size of the wake, the wake plate can be used to adjust the curl and the shape of the wake. As Max said, it's adjustable on the fly and can take my boat from a non-existent wake to a wake suitable for wake surfing in 10 seconds.

It's also nice on the those rough days. You can move the plate all the way up and the nose rides higher in the water so the boat is taking the waves on the beefier part of the hull. I also use it during our ski shows for pulling pyramids and acts with multiple skiers. Lowering the wake plate forces the nose down and literally makes the boat rise up in the water when power is applied. This has the effect of less boat in the water and puts all the power into forward motion.

Hmmmm....I may need to reconsider the wake plate and pull it back up on the to-do list. I like the way it's working for you. Thanks.

maxpower220
09-11-2012, 09:02 AM
While weight is certainly the most important factor in the size of the wake, the wake plate can be used to adjust the curl and the shape of the wake. As Max said, it's adjustable on the fly and can take my boat from a non-existent wake to a wake suitable for wake surfing in 10 seconds.

Please explain a little better. The wake plate can and does tune the wake. However, it DOES NOT create a wake that you can surf on. You must have weight in the boat (and a lot in an Outback) to get a surf wake. Let me know if your plate is creating a surf wake without weight in the boat, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

usaski1
09-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Also, as far as I know, adding an adjustable plate (+$800) does not make a flatter slalom wake. the OB comes factory with a flat plate, it is not meant to be modified, and any modification you do will most likely be a detriment to the slalom wake.

Mikey
09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I agrre with Max in the fact the wakeplate will not make enough wake on its own to surf. It takes a lot more weight as stated,but does help to shape the wake once the boat is weighted.
I agree is there something we are missing?

Typically the only time i use the wakeplate is to add wake for wakeboarding,to shape surf wake or to intentionally make boat ride high in rough water.... maybe? As for skiing leave in neutral ...flat for best ski wake.

You guys that do not have a wakeplate may not really be missing out unless other wakesports are in the equation...

MasterMind3002
09-11-2012, 10:29 PM
I agrre with Max in the fact the wakeplate will not make enough wake on its own to surf. It takes a lot more weight as stated,but does help to shape the wake once the boat is weighted.
I agree is there something we are missing?

Typically the only time i use the wakeplate is to add wake for wakeboarding,to shape surf wake or to intentionally make boat ride high in rough water.... maybe? As for skiing leave in neutral ...flat for best ski wake.

You guys that do not have a wakeplate may not really be missing out unless other wakesports are in the equation...

It's true that you have to add weight to surf. My son tells me that they often ignore the ballast and just move everyone to the back of the boat. He usually surfs with a small group of his buddies (4 or 5 teenagers). None of them weigh more than 160 lbs. I usually fill the ballast and move my fat friends to one side of the boat......lol. But make no mistake, the wake plate definately effects the shape and hardness of the wake.

I disagree with Mikey on the wake plate position for skiing. Dropping the plate to its lowest position has the effect of dropping the bow and raising the entire boat out of the water creating a much smaller slalom wake. At least on my boat it does. And as i mentioned before, its great when you're tugging heavy loads as it forces the boat up and gives you more forward push.

Mikey
09-12-2012, 11:04 PM
I think I was misunderstood. I have my plate down,to make boat run flat ,while skiing,which would actually be the same as a solid mounted plate as some of the boats have that do not have the adjustable plate.. I raise it to make bow ride high to increase the size of the wake,and shape when surfing....

wolfeman131
09-12-2012, 11:15 PM
I think I was misunderstood.

No worries. Happens all the time as most folks don't speak Canadianese.

ga-lsv05
09-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Is plate down toward the water or toward top of the boat?? With my plate down (toward water) anything over 15 or 16 mph my boat bounces

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

Mikey
09-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Hey Hey be careful . We don't make fun of Your Beer now ?Lets tread carefully here. HAHA i know its all good. As for the plate position. Down=flat wake and plate tilted up will raise the bow. What you are encountering is Porpoising and usually a little trim+ Up will fix this.

As this thread was more concerning a ski wake ,and on the DD Outbacks particularily.Usually the flatest least noticeable wake is achieved by having the plate down=Flat and these boats usually can run full out,without too much issue of Porpoising.

skiyaker
09-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Hey Hey be careful . We don't make fun of Your Beer now ?Lets tread carefully here.

I had to leave Canada one time after I asked a tavern owner if he had anything besides Labatt's. Suddenly the music stopped and the everybody starting staring at me like I had 3 eyes. I'm convinced that stuff was invented by the Canadian government to keep the toilet paper industry in business.