PDA

View Full Version : Smart thermostat nest

jmvotto
09-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Anyone look into this or have one?

Any thoughts.. Seems pricey but I hate our programmable thermostat.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_399000-22742-T100577_4294725683__?productId=3694634&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.nest.com/

wolfeman131
09-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I have these on my "to get" list for both houses so I can turn heat or air on from my smartphone while en route to whichever one. The whole "learning" looked a little complicated, but I like the other features.

jmvotto
09-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Yep great minds think alike...

rca
09-05-2012, 10:34 PM
I've got a couple of friends that installed them and love them.

sandm
09-06-2012, 08:02 AM
that's a lot of coin just to be able to have a house warm/cold before you get there :)

we had a lakehouse when I was growing up. part of the memories I have are showing up on a friday afternoon, place has been locked up for the last week, and it had that certain smell before the place warms up or cools down. for me, showing up and "opening up" a cabin was part of the experience of a cabin..

wolfeman131
09-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Spoken like a man who has no children nor lives in the South!

sandm
09-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Spoken like a man who has no children nor lives in the South!

man, you know me too well :)

I would like to fix one of those, and it's not kids :p

kaneboats
09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Those things will be $50 next year. In two years they'll give you a pair for opening a checking account. Too pricey for me now. I got the regular programmable ones on ebay for $35. They're $60 at Home Depot if you get the one that runs the heat pump (for you guys up north that's the air conditioning that runs backwards in the winter).

loudsubz
09-06-2012, 09:02 PM
It looks cool and all but way too pricey for what it does. I think people are going a little overboard with the convinience and think its something space age. Home Automation companies have been offering "smart" TS options as part of alarm and home automation equipment for years now and nobody that I know of has really made a fuss about wanting to control their TS from their phone...

wolfeman131
09-06-2012, 09:18 PM
nobody that I know of has really made a fuss about wanting to control their TS from their phone...

OK, put me down as th first one. I like cutting the heat/air at whichever house we are not at or when we are on vacation and I think it would be great to turn the thermostat to the desired temp from the phone on the way to the house. Or, to be able to turn the heat/air off remotely after forgetting to do so before we leave.

loudsubz
09-06-2012, 09:43 PM
HAI has been in the game for awhile and when you connect it to something like an alarm system you can have it go into different modes based on occupancy etc

Its a cool feature to have it you actually program it to integrate with your lifestyle but I just think they are getting more heat then they really need to. The novelty will wear off soon.

kaneboats
09-07-2012, 09:07 AM
I will say I use the DirecTV app that lets you record shows when you are running late or whatever.

wolfeman131
09-07-2012, 09:19 AM
All the time with the DirecTv app here! Especially during football season! I had my wife record a few games this week when we were running late. Love that app.

zabooda
09-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Go with one of the Honeywell programmables. They have wireless systems also but it shouldn't be used very often as jockeying the temperatures up and down loses any efficiency gained. Get the installers guide so you can tweak the system like you would your boat stereo system. I went to a gas furnace/electric heat pump a few years back when Obama was giving money away and the programming may take an hour to do but it is tuned right in.