PDA

View Full Version : Reversible pumps

mnpracing
09-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Can you run two reversible pumps off the same thru-hull intake? If you put a valve and a T on the intake then connect two reversibles, would there be any issues filling or draining if you only ran one of the pumps at a time? I originally thought that when draining, it would push water up the other pump, but I think the impeller acts like a check valve.

Boonejeepin
09-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Maybe I don't know what you are trying to accomplish but it would be cheaper to use a selective Y valve if you were just wanting to fill 2 separate bags.

Sorry if I am going in the wrong direction.

mnpracing
09-04-2012, 08:53 PM
that makes sense. I'll keep that in mind. Ideally I don't want to have to switch a valve, but it may come down to that.

Boonejeepin
09-04-2012, 09:22 PM
I think you would be fine with a T and 2 pumps running on it at seperate times. I'd call Wakemakers just to be certain.

They have the y valves if you need to go that route.

MLA
09-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Can you run two reversible pumps off the same thru-hull intake? If you put a valve and a T on the intake then connect two reversibles, would there be any issues filling or draining if you only ran one of the pumps at a time? I originally thought that when draining, it would push water up the other pump, but I think the impeller acts like a check valve.

Ive successfully run 2 impeller pumps on a single 1" thru-hull many times. This is a typical setup for a dedicated surf system. If your budget will allow for a pump for each sac, I would go that route. Trying to fill and drain multiple sacs with a single pump always seems to end up somewhat problematic and not user friendly. Ive had issues with diverter valves allowing air to be drawn through the closed off port. This makes it hard for the pump to prime. This usually occurs during the drain cycle.

jmvotto
09-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Fill should not be a problem, I had two rule 1100 attached to the 3/4 thru hull and worked great in the old boat, drain pums were seperate, but I had five of those.

mnpracing
09-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Ive successfully run 2 impeller pumps on a single 1" thru-hull many times. This is a typical setup for a dedicated surf system. If your budget will allow for a pump for each sac, I would go that route. Trying to fill and drain multiple sacs with a single pump always seems to end up somewhat problematic and not user friendly. Ive had issues with diverter valves allowing air to be drawn through the closed off port. This makes it hard for the pump to prime. This usually occurs during the drain cycle. Does priming even come into play on the impellar pumps? I thought one of the main advantages was that you didn't have to worry about priming issues.

MLA
09-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Does priming even come into play on the impellar pumps? I thought one of the main advantages was that you didn't have to worry about priming issues.
Yes, they are self-priming, but not when there's a leak. Air is easier to draw then water. So if the pump is drawing unwanted air through a 3-way diverter, then it will struggle to pull water from the sac you are trying to drain.

wolfeman131
09-05-2012, 08:43 AM
MLA - have you experienced the air draw when using the Bosworth Sealect directional Y valve or some other model?

My experience with the directional valve has been limited, but I have not noticed any issue so far in getting the bags attached to the valve to fill or empty.

sybrmike
09-05-2012, 10:40 AM
I run two Jabsco impeller pumps tee'd off of one 1-1/4" thru hull. No problems filling both, draining both, or fill & drain at the same time.

saskie99
09-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Jason at wakemakers suggested to me that is can be hard on the pumps if they are running at the same time. This spring I did the reversible pumps mod, and will say the putting in two new thru hull fittings was the easiest part of the job, it really was, and after spending near 200 bucks on each pump I thought why risk ruining one. It really took me 20 mins to drill the holes and install the fitting and ball valves.
Jason told me that for the small cost it was worth it to put dedicted thru hulls in for each pump.