PDA

View Full Version : Brand New to Wake Surfing

LakePerson1952
09-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I tried wake surfing this weekend (Labor Day). Got up first time every time! It was awsome! Haven't yet been able to drop the rope but did go a while with it pretty loose some of the time.

I have a couple of questions.

The slalom is my first love so I bought the Outback (direct drive) and it has the stock sack under the rear seat. Will I get enough wake to surf behind this boat?

I was told the board I used for my first ride was a beginner board but I'm not sure which one (it was yellow :) ). I'm about 5'10 and nearly 200 lbs. Does anyone have suggestions for a cost effective beginner board?

Thanks.

kaneboats
09-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Hyperlite Broadcast. Get the bigger one as you will have a pretty small wake. You may be able to surf behind the Outback with just a little ballast full but adding two more 400 or larger ones, one in back and one along the engine on the surf side will make it a lot more fun.

muehlcj
09-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Take a look at my thread w/video. https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?18932-Surfing-Direct-Drive
It has all the specs listed for the boat and boards. I will warn you that if you start with the HL BC (great biginner board) you will quickly discover you want to upgrade. I'm 6'-1" and nearly 200 lbs and can surf the smaller (4'8") HL BC board with our setup. If you know you want to continue surfing I would recomend P5 or IS. Just my .02

kaneboats
09-05-2012, 09:51 AM
He's right, of course, but you'll keep the HL Broadcast in the boat forever. All your newbies can use it for the next 15 years and stay off your new board till they know what they are doing. It's a great first board and can be set up to be more fun once you advance by removing the two outside fins or removing the center fin and leaving the two outside ones (my favorite way to ride it).

Stazi
09-05-2012, 12:31 PM
I have a Mobius LS (DD) and I can surf ropeless even though I'm 6'2" 205lbs.

I have the rear 400lb tank, plus I have a tube sack in the ski locker 370lb and also the underseat IBS 400lb.
I also have two 400lb V-Drvie sacs I fillt up and put behind the driver (one on the floor and one half on the seat and half on top of the one on the floor). I can get a pretty decent size wave like that with the wake plate all the way up and doing about 10mph.

muehlcj
09-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Kane: Great point. We put 100% of the new riders on our HL BC (4'-9" ish) to start. Super stable, we keep all (3) fins in. Helps build confidence. Once the rider has the basics down and can almost drop the rope we switch them to the IS Black Pearl (w/ one fin). Adds just enough speed that they can basically drop the rope right away.

kaneboats
09-05-2012, 02:47 PM
I wish I had something in between the HL and the slippery TripleX I ride. Our only other board is my daughter's LakeWakes one and she doesn't let anyone else ride it (or touch it!).

ga-lsv05
09-05-2012, 03:29 PM
We started on a cwb tsunami. Great beginner board. Still take it with us when people want to try and learn

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

muehlcj
09-05-2012, 03:48 PM
I wish I had something in between the HL and the slippery TripleX I ride. Our only other board is my daughter's Wakelakes one and she doesn't let anyone else ride it (or touch it!).

How do you like the 3X? I love my P5 DD Pro - XL but now after spending some time on the IS BP I wish I had purchased the L and not the XL. I'm going to try hold out until next season and get the '13 L. With nowhere to demo up here in NY we are limited to what we purchase.

kaneboats
09-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I love it b/c it was cheap and it's fast and slippery. If I had a choice and money to blow I'd be riding an IS board or the P5 DD Pro - XL. If you decide to get out of that board please run it by me first!

muehlcj
09-06-2012, 11:41 AM
I love it b/c it was cheap and it's fast and slippery. If I had a choice and money to blow I'd be riding an IS board or the P5 DD Pro - XL. If you decide to get out of that board please run it by me first!
Will do. It won't be until next season but I will be sure to let you know.

kaneboats
09-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks! I tend to acquire stuff over the off season during clearance times. I buy shorts in September and jeans in May too.

LakePerson1952
09-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Video of my first and second attempts at wake surfing - tips welcome

First Attempt

https://vimeo.com/49168540

Second Attempt

https://vimeo.com/49168706

bergermaister
09-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Hmmmmm...

1) pull yourself up closer to the boat an arm's length or 2 or 3, more into the taller pocket of the wave.
2) aim the nose of the board into the wave more so you are riding with the wave vs. being pulled.
3) work on adding a little bit of weight to that front foot.

Does that board have any traction on it? Looks pretty slick but hard to tell.

mmandley
09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Wow what speed is that? Looks like 15 LOL. Whats the guy on the swim deck doing anyhow? He falls off and you will have a collision. LOL.

Take the above advise man, trust me it will take a bit because this takes 3 factors to surf.

Your skill
Your Board
Your boat wave.

Anyone is lacking more then the other and its a wash out.

You can be high in skill, on a slow board with a great wave and make it work
Low on skill great board and bad wave and still make it work
Ive been on a bad board, bad wave, and made it work because i think my skill is enough

Skill just comes from time and if you get a chance to ride on a boat with a Proven wave it will do wonders for your boat because once you feel a dialed in wave under you, then every boat you get behind you will know if the wave is dialed in well enough or not and then you can learn how to dial in a wave.

parrothd
09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Hmmmmm...

1) pull yourself up closer to the boat an arm's length or 2 or 3, more into the taller pocket of the wave.
2) aim the nose of the board into the wave more so you are riding with the wave vs. being pulled.
3) work on adding a little bit of weight to that front foot.

Does that board have any traction on it? Looks pretty slick but hard to tell.

How fast are you guys going 20mph?!?!.. :)

Next time move closer to the center where the meaty part of the wave is, you're too far to the outside. Remember your front foot is like the gas pedal in your car, your rear foot is the brakes. Putting more pressure on your front foot will bring you closer to the boat/speed up, pressure on your rear foot slows you down/away from the boat. You have the brakes on the whole time and you're using the handle to drag yourself along, I'd have you move your front foot forward 1/2in to shift your weight slightly forward, but not to far over else to tip will pearl (go under)..

I tell my beginners it's like balancing on teeter-totter, get up, move into the center, then you want to balance yourself on the board/teeter-totter, you want to get your feet set and body weight just right so when you're standing normally the board or teeter-totter will ever so slightly dip down/forward. You can do this by leaning forward or by moving your feet, moving takes a little practice, use your toes to crawl very slowly. Once you get situated, pic a spot on the swim platform and use that so you can use it as a reference point so you can adjust and find the sweet spot...

You want to have your balance just a little forward, like 52/48 which will make you move towards the boat, then you just need to put the brakes on just a little to keep you behind the boat then return to normal standing which will speed you up again...

LakePerson1952
09-11-2012, 01:44 PM
To answer some questions, the board did seem to have traction from a molded in pattern (I have not used other boards). It is a beginner board.

I was told we were going at 10mph - heavily ballasted to port side - Wake Nautique I think.

The guy on the platform was giving me instruction and, yeah, if he'd fallen in we would have collided. I would have probably been uncomfortable standing on the platform but he seemed fine with it and it was his boat.

The vids were my first and second attempts - I actually was pretty happy to get up both times and I think I improved a little first to second.

Thanks for all the tips - I'm sure they will help - it seemes that my biggest issue was not being far enough forward (I wasn't centered enough on the first run).

The guy instructing me kept telling me to get lower (squat down some) but it doesn't seem that others do that from the videos I've seen here - ????????????????

I really enjoyed surfing so I hope my Outback DD with standard ballast will give enough wake to enjoy myself.