PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Shutter broke off

Texan
09-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Our exhaust shutter/flapper broke off and as luck would have it everything is closed over the weekend.

Would you guys have any concerns running with it off or would you park the boat until it could be replaced?

KSmith
09-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Just don't back up quickly or come off plane too fast and you should be ok until it's replaced

Texan
09-04-2012, 07:49 PM
For a quick fix I went to Lowes and bought a rubber 3" cap for PVC pipe. It came with a hose clamp and fit perfectly over the broken shutter. I cut the end all the way around and left about 2'' uncut as a hinge. It actually worked like the original equipment.
Just in case someone else has this issue and needs a quick fix.

KSmith
09-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Excellent stop gap solution

ga-lsv05
09-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Considering the path water would have to take to make it back into the engine, I would say something catastrophic would have to happen or a really dumb operator move. I.e. shut off engine while coming off plane... Or something to the like. For it to be a problem

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

kaneboats
09-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Well, they are on there for a reason.

Texan
09-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Well, they are on there for a reason.

good point

I had never really paid much attention to them before this happened, several times during our outing on Labor day I felt under the boat to check out my repair. Every time I checked them (with the motor off obviously) they were sealed shut not allowing any water in the mufflers. Evidently they create a vacuum when you kill the motor, while they don't actually close all the way with the boat out of the water that is not the case when you are operating the boat. Every time I reached under and broke the suction you could hear the water filling up the lower section of the muffler.

ga-lsv05
09-05-2012, 02:15 PM
If I had to guess, I would say they are mainly there to relieve backpressure during starting by keeping the water out. But you are correct I'm sure they are there for something

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

kaneboats
09-05-2012, 02:55 PM
I imagine if you're shut down and take a big roller directly to the stern you could get cold water up into the hot manifolds and past them. Probably more likely if you lose power at speed and the boat stops suddenly though.