PDA

View Full Version : Need dimensions for garage size.......

Tiltboy
07-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi, I'm looking at buying an Outback or Mobius, and I need to know the minimum garage depth I can get away with. Can you add the swing away tongue to a standard trailer?

Thanks........

smokedog2
07-31-2005, 10:55 PM
You could add a swing tongue if you know a little welding, I have no idea of the cost. It is a simple hinge and pin design. The stock swing is nearly right under the bow. The trailer sits under the boat and the swim platform, which you can remove, sticks out about 18”.

If you remove the swim platform and swing the tongue I’d guess 6” longer than the boat you buy. if you leave the platform, add 18-24”. How good are you at backing up a boat?

Or you could buy a 48’ x 50’ storage building, keep three boats and still have room for a basketball game.

SD2

Oh, I put the road to the building in last weekend and stabilized the rotted posts on the building, next, fix the leaks. I'm the guy for your steel building repair and improvement advice.

Tiltboy
07-31-2005, 11:06 PM
Man, it looks like it might be tight! I measured today at 21 ft maybe 2" That would put me right at the minimum. I got a buddy who owns a steel fab. business, so the welding shouldn't be a problem. I would just have to paint the trailer. I'm leaning toward an Outback. Do you think 21 ft would make it?

Tiltboy
07-31-2005, 11:08 PM
The only time I would put it in the garage would be winter storage. It would stay on the dock on a lift from April until October. I wouldn't want to have to back it up that tight every time I use it. ;)

smokedog2
08-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Well, it might, you might get it in at a little angle etc., but at the end of the day my friend has a 19’ x” I/O boat, he bought it to fits in his garage but it does not fit his wife, two kids, a couple more friends and the assortment of wakeboards, kneeboards, skates, skis, tubes, chips, pop, ropes, lifejackets, towels, cameras, coats, suntan lotion, bumpers, and cell phones that go with a trip to the lake.

He desperately wants a bigger boat and a tower just to get the boards off the floor. We had an occasion to empty my boat (LSV) into his empty boat (I did not want to leave the stuff on the water over night). When everything was loaded into his boat there was barely room for the driver.

Calculate the cost of buying a boat too small, then trading up in 2-3 years. That will buy you a lot of winter boat storage.

My $.02, worth what you paid for it,

SD2

Oh, bigger boats are selling better than 19' boats right now cus people want the room on the boat. My friend is getting jammed on resale to upgrade.

chpprpilot
08-02-2005, 08:39 AM
Watch out for the ceiling height as well. My garage is 28' deep and will accomodate my XLV, and the ceiling height of 8' SHOULD accomodate the height of the boat with the tower down...but I neglected to consider the garage door frame which comes down almost as foot and a half...so I had to add storage fees to my monthly payment or completely remove my tower. Something not really practical for weekly use.

jburnside
08-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Tiltboy,
Is the 21 foot garage a 1, 1&1/2, or 2 car garage? If it's a 2 car garage I believe it will fit with the platform removed and the tongue swung out of the way and the rig in the garage on a bit of an angle. If it's smaller than a 2 car I doubt it will fit. What the dealer and Moomba don't take into account on their length measurements is the extra 8 inches or so for the wake plate. Be careful, I now have a slightly modifed 1& 1/2 car garage because of this. My gagrage is 21 feet deep with an access hole in the rear now.;)

Tiltboy
08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
It's a 2 car garage, and the boat I was looking at didn't have the wake plate. I think it would make it, but the trailer didn't have a swing a-way tongue. :-(

Ben B
08-03-2005, 09:41 PM
You can push your boat into garage. I push my nautique in all the time. I built my garage 26 ft deep to house a boat. All I need now is a new moomba to put in it.

ben624
08-08-2005, 01:20 PM
I have a 3 car garage... It is 24 ft deep... I have a '99 outback... With out the swim platform on the boat.... And no swing away tongue... I have about 3 to 4 inches... But you have to be careful... So you don't shove your speedometer pegs through the wall.