PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Mussels at it again...

rdlangston13
09-01-2012, 06:57 AM
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Its-a-matter-of-time-before-zebra-mussels-arrive-in-Lewisville-Lake-168209276.html

This really sucks because Lake Lewisville is tied to the Trinity River basin which means that Lake Livingston and the Trinity River will eventually get infested.

lewisb13
09-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Dude that sucks. We have them where I'm from in michigan. No more going in the water without water shoes. They stick to everythinggggg and will cut you so bad, you'll wish they didn't cut you so bad. (Family guy ref)

jmvotto
09-01-2012, 09:05 AM
They clean up the lakes, but boy are they a pain.

Very small and sharp like razor blades. Paper cuts that bleed like a stuck pig..

They like to live in stagnant water up to about 10 ft deep I believe. Wave action keeps them off the beach. But yes a god pair of Solomon water shoes will do the trick.

C.Hern5972
09-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Great post and heads up..

skiyaker
09-01-2012, 11:53 PM
we have them in all our lakes here. Not that big of a deal for watersports except they like to stick to the slalom course booms- gotta wear gloves when replacing buoys or they'll slice your hands. Like jmvotto they clean up the lakes and make the water clearer which the fishermen don't like and if you own a power plant they're a real pain.

jimmobius
09-02-2012, 10:54 AM
What do the states that have zebra mussels do about boaters trailering to other lakes? Are they "tagged" or identified in someway each time they leave? We supposedly have the zebra mussel larvae here in Colorado , but as of last year they ( fish , wildlife , parks) have yet to find an adult mussel. I could be wrong with my facts, since haven't checked since the January boat show here. I would like to know how other states have been dealing with them.
Jim.

skiyaker
09-02-2012, 12:39 PM
nobody here worries or even talks about them- we're too preoccupied with keeping the flying carp out of the great lakes. I guess they just figure zebras are in all the lakes anyways which is true of the lakes on which I boat. Honestly I'm not even sure what I would have to do to my boat to purge it of the mussels if I were going to travel to a non-mussel lake- bleach the ballast system? I dunno. I'd think if you saw a boat heading your way from Indiana better give it a good inspection. They used to be a problem on the beach area in our ski lake but the water level dropped last fall and they haven't re-established there again yet. They've cleared the water up enough in the ski lake that we sometimes talk about how nice they are to have around. I one time saw some hippies trying to cook and eat them- that had to be a ton of work for the amount of meat they got.

WaterBullDawg1980
09-03-2012, 10:52 AM
nobody here worries or even talks about them- we're too preoccupied with keeping the flying carp out of the great lakes.

What in the sam hell is a flying carp? Sounds terrifying.

Remind me never to go on the water on the Great Lakes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lewisb13
09-03-2012, 11:57 AM
These are Asian carp. They put an electric barrier right next to my old plant in lemont Illinois to try to keep them out of the great lakes. They are FEROCIOUS eaters and definitely threaten the great lakes ecosystem. You can see here people go on bow fishing charters for them. The boat motor startles them and the jump......everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc-e8EGkLMo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

KSmith
09-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Yes but the Asian capr make for great sport ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN2gMP3Q2Z4

Cigars n scotch
09-03-2012, 02:26 PM
What do the states that have zebra mussels do about boaters trailering to other lakes? Are they "tagged" or identified in someway each time they leave? We supposedly have the zebra mussel larvae here in Colorado , but as of last year they ( fish , wildlife , parks) have yet to find an adult mussel. I could be wrong with my facts, since haven't checked since the January boat show here. I would like to know how other states have been dealing with them.
Jim.

Go over to wakeworld and read about what states like California, nevada, Utah, etc. do about zebra mussels. Decon fees range from like $85-$150 and they wash your boats with burning hot water (ballast and bilge and all). If you pull up to a lake and there's a DRIP of water from your boat they pull you over for decon.

Those mussels may filter the water but like the Asian carp are a freaking nuisance and are infesting America's waters. I feel bad for those folks who have to deal with either. Rd hopefully they do not make it to your local waterways, because if theyre all connected like you say you can be sure they'll be in all of them.

Justin
2008 Supra 21V
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

motosno963
09-03-2012, 03:50 PM
we have zebra mussels in lake ontario..we use tho have them on my fathers boat..i use the same water for wakeboarding and have never had one on my outback..to me i think if you leave your boat int the water for like atleast a week thats when they will attach to your boat..i have never had my boat in longer then like 8 hours and i dont see any on mine

jmvotto
09-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Damn Europeans, can in from Europe on freighters to the Great lakes..

kinda like the people who brought in the asian carp to help in Miss. but got unleashed in the flooding abot 10 years ago.

WaterBullDawg1980
09-03-2012, 06:22 PM
These are Asian carp. They put an electric barrier right next to my old plant in lemont Illinois to try to keep them out of the great lakes. They are FEROCIOUS eaters and definitely threaten the great lakes ecosystem. You can see here people go on bow fishing charters for them. The boat motor startles them and the jump......everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc-e8EGkLMo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wow. I guess Hank Jr. was right. There really are rednecks country wide. That is the damndest thing I have ever seen. I am deadly with my bow but that looks tough. That had to be an extreme case. I can honestly say that I have never been hit with a fish while in my boat!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jimmobius
09-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Oh man, I see why the flying carp would be a priority over the mussels. That is crazy.

zabooda
09-04-2012, 01:36 AM
Each state has different fees as Washington has its fees on the trailer tags while Idaho and Oregon have fees as high as $23 for out of staters which is more than my boat tags. Washington needs to do the same to collect extra revenue. At least Idaho has inspection stations at the border and stops all trailered boats whether you plan to use it in state waters or not.

chawk610
09-04-2012, 06:54 AM
The entrance to the marina at Lewisville says they have been found already... I didn't know about how sharp they were though. Thanks for the heads up. :(

rdlangston13
09-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Well that sucks. I heard they were in Lavon too. I thought they liked the cold water?

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

FargoDawg
09-05-2012, 11:24 AM
the mussels are in asome of the lakes in MN, they are really bad in a few. we have to tell where and when our boat was last in the water, then have to drain everything in front of a game and fish when we come off the water, and tel them where we are going next and when. I believe 150 degree water or being dry for 4 days is the way that they are killed. it is microscopic so ther are everywhere, up here the biggest transporte of them is the fishing boats. live wells, minnow buckets etc. there isnt a lot of jumping from lake to lake anymore. one of our bigger Walleye fisheries is said to be "carpeted" with them and the lake is being filtered completely about 3 times daily, a lake that I (used to) frequent went from 14 feet of clarity to 30 feet last winter.

jimmobius
09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
So here is a thought , it seems like we can never get all the water out of the bilge of the v drives and direct drive boats, so when the "authorities" do their inspection do we tell them that we can never get our boats bilge completely dry?
Jim

moombahighrider
09-11-2012, 01:49 AM
We don't have them at our lakes yet, but they are working their way here quickly. As a result, the inspections are constant.

I get inspected at every lake every time in these parts and have done so for years now. They give us tags (they use stainless steel rope to seal the boat to the trailer via the bow eye) when we get out of the water when we go through an inspection at the end of the day that clear us for our next trip. Saves having another inspection when you return to the lake, provided your line and tag is intact.

They inspect the anchor for any mud left over and want to see the bilge plug pulled.

Honestly, they don't have a clue about wake boats (i think it's a little confusing to the retired full time rv volunteer types), when they find out I have removable bags and I show the bags to them in the back of the truck (I remove them every time and allow them to dry), I am now their best friend, as I just made their job insanely easier...

Most of the time they look at my anchor, check my bilge plug, look at my bags, and off I go. It's a huge hassle which ever way you look at it, but I appreciate what they are doing and why and understand their goals, so I make it as easy as possible for them.

jimmobius
09-11-2012, 11:18 PM
So I take it you head to Navajo? I haven't been there since last year and won't make till next season unless we stop on
our way to Arizona . Haven't been to Colorado state parks with the boat this year since I broke my ankle in June. Was wondering what they do as far as inspections go since last year. I know they write down the cl number and such , but what do they do with the data ?They couldn't answer that question. Oh well , one more thing to make boating less enjoyable. Jim

chawk610
09-12-2012, 06:59 AM
So... is there something that eats these things... that isn't worse then they are?

Just looked it up... sheepshead fish eat these things.

ga-lsv05
09-12-2012, 07:42 AM
So... is there something that eats these things... that isn't worse then they are?

Just looked it up... sheepshead fish eat these things.

Steam em up with butter and old bay we'll take em on one plate at a time!

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

chawk610
09-12-2012, 10:25 AM
LOL... thanks, but I don't think thats gonna get it done!

ga-lsv05
09-12-2012, 10:33 AM
LOL... thanks, but I don't think thats gonna get it done!

Depends on how hungry you are lol

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast