PDA

View Full Version : Can't win for trying

rsinger
08-29-2012, 02:02 PM
I was just getting into going to a cable park. The temps here took a major swing up and it's beautiful and hot here. Yesterday while getting into my work vehicle, I really pulled my back out. It also hurt down my right leg to my toes. If I wasn't already almost sitting down it would have brought me to my knees.

Now I'm in constant pain and taking drugs that hardly help to control it, while I could be wakeboarding.

Hopefully it's a simple strain that will go away in a week or so. Already went for x-rays. Results will come tomorrow.

On the up side, I'm still breathing, barely mobile, and above the ground.

I'll be drooling looking at pics of you folks still on the water.

wolfeman131
08-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Hopefully it's a simple strain that will go away in a week or so.

Wow, sorry about the mishap & pain, but lets pray to the lil baby Jesus the above is correct as its almost time to start hanging the Holiday lights!

chawk610
08-29-2012, 02:44 PM
That blows in the worst way... sorry man, and yes, the summer is gonna be coming to an end very soon for some of us (Northern folks). We should hopefully be pretty good here till mid October maybe?

sandm
08-29-2012, 03:25 PM
northern folks from a guy in texas?? :)

already made my winterization appt on sept. 28th. season will be done here on that day :)

zabooda
08-29-2012, 03:41 PM
I spent three days in bed a few years back and I do core strengthening as I have two herniated discs in my lower back. I always have some very slight pain but sometimes my back just goes out a bit and gets into my right sciatic nerve in my hip. I have a PT place here at work and I get it worked on when that happens and it helps a lot. In fact, I'm going there this afternoon. You'll get back to where you were but get on the machines and work your stomach and back muscles as those muscles keeps your back aligned. I am doing everything that I did in the past except I don't play as much basketball and I do a lot of stretching before skiing. In my case, lose weight....sigh.

maxpower220
08-29-2012, 04:36 PM
already made my winterization appt on sept. 28th. season will be done here on that day :)

Quitter!

It's good to live in the South

mmandley
08-29-2012, 09:07 PM
I was just getting into going to a cable park. The temps here took a major swing up and it's beautiful and hot here. Yesterday while getting into my work vehicle, I really pulled my back out. It also hurt down my right leg to my toes. If I wasn't already almost sitting down it would have brought me to my knees.

Now I'm in constant pain and taking drugs that hardly help to control it, while I could be wakeboarding.

Hopefully it's a simple strain that will go away in a week or so. Already went for x-rays. Results will come tomorrow.

On the up side, I'm still breathing, barely mobile, and above the ground.

I'll be drooling looking at pics of you folks still on the water.

I wouldnt be surprised if you slipped your L4 or L5 vertibrea. I have burs on both of them and slip them pretty regularly and get the exact same pains you describe.

One of the reason i dont tend to wakeboard to often anymore because i slip these so easily the doc said if i dont stop i might need back surgery.

Mikey
08-29-2012, 09:39 PM
The dreaded L4 ,L5 . Yes i've had these two bulged for years and sciatic pain now comes and goes.As mentioned once you feel a little better and have some mobility. Work on and at least maintain core muscles. These are what keep you going strong and will greatly help reduce pain and flareups etc.

Good luck keep us posted. I'm sure there are many on here who have gone through similar issues and theres lots of usefull comments to help you out as well...

WaterBullDawg1980
08-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Bunch of old farts in this thread. Let me guess, are all of your hemoroids actin up too??

I KID I KID! :)

That does suck Ron. I was wakeskating a few weeks ago and beat up my shins so bad that my scabs bled through tan work socks the other day on the plane. :(

jmvotto
08-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Bunch of old farts in this thread. Let me guess, are all of your hemoroids actin up too??

I KID I KID! :)

That does suck Ron. I was wakeskating a few weeks ago and beat up my shins so bad that my scabs bled through tan work socks the other day on the plane. :(

How do you hit your shins on the wake skate?

rsinger
08-29-2012, 10:24 PM
If I walk around for 10 minutes or so I feel almost good enough to think about going to the cable park tomorrow. Then I sit down for a while and try to get up. I barely make it. Almost need a cane to just start walking.

My wifes cousin has a sciatic back and said an inversion table made all the difference in the world.

Just got to wait and see if the x-rays pick up anything.

Maybe a new topic should be started. "Old farts aches and pains". Looks like I'm not the only one around here.

kaneboats
08-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Sorry to hear about this, Ron. Sure hope they patch you up and get you back out there. It's the 4th quarter already.

jmvotto
08-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Ron, i use a chiropractor to straiten out some those issue, find a good one though, the bad ones can create more damage.

parrothd
08-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Ron, i use a chiropractor to straiten out some those issue, find a good one though, the bad ones can create more damage.

rehab, rehab, rehab, see physical therapist ....I see a lot of squats, back,lats, crunches in your future.. :)

mattlovesamy
08-30-2012, 10:29 AM
I currently have an L5 bulging disc, and what you are describing sounds a lot like it. The x-rays will be able to tell if there is any type of compression that shouldn't be there in the disc, but you will most likely need an MRI. I've had two epidural steroid injections. The first one reduced my pain a lot, and the second one helped even more. I've also been doing lots of core strengthening to help. It might be very painful, but try not to just lay in bed. Get up and walk and move around. It will help a lot. Also, of course, make sure you have good posture all the time, and try and avoid bending over without your back staying straight.

rsinger
08-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Sorry to hear about this, Ron. Sure hope they patch you up and get you back out there. It's the 4th quarter already.

Two shots in one thread. Impressive. The lights are staying down this year.

WaterBullDawg1980
08-30-2012, 11:58 AM
How do you hit your shins on the wake skate?

Not attached to the board and the top is just like a skateboard deck. So often times when you fall the skate just pops up and that top deck scrapes against your shins, knees, face etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

WaterBullDawg1980
08-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Ron, I have a buddy who has had back problems from sports and he swears by the inversion table. I was also told by an old roommate in college who is an athletic trainer for division I football that he recommends one to anyone who is active in recreational sports.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

wolfeman131
08-30-2012, 03:52 PM
The lights are staying down this year.

BOO! How's the fat dude in the red suit going to find your place?

jdntexas
08-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Hope you're doing better, Ron. Had a microdiscectomy in January to repair my backache. Only those who have had back problems can truly know your pain. Thank God we live in an age where there are more options than ever to do something about it.

rsinger
08-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Good news, I guess. X-ray showed up clean. Next step is CAT scan. Doctor said to give it a week first to see if it starts to get better. It's been only a couple of days and I think it's easier getting out of bed.

We'll see what next week has in store. It seems that, for the most part, I'm almost pain free when I keep mobile and active. If I sit for more than 5 or 10 minutes it takes me almost 5 minutes to be able to walk without having to hunch and limping.

wolfeman131
08-31-2012, 10:25 AM
yep, good news Ron! Hope the next step is clear, too and you keep improving.

rsinger
08-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Going out to the lake for the long weekend. Managed to get the boat behind the truck, just in case. I'll at least be able to drive the boat. The big problem will be getting me out of the drivers seat. I think the marina has a hoist.

WaterBullDawg1980
08-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Going out to the lake for the long weekend. Managed to get the boat behind the truck, just in case. I'll at least be able to drive the boat. The big problem will be getting me out of the drivers seat. I think the marina has a hoist.

hahaha! At least it seems your spirits are up a bit to be able to poke fun at the situation. Heal up fast buddy.

zabooda
08-31-2012, 04:37 PM
I had to go in today to PT and get a quick workout as my sciatic was hurting pretty bad. Got PT at 10AM, on the water at 11:15 AM and back home packing the motor home for the weekend. I wanted to get a ski in before school lets out and I had a great run. Btw, my back still hurts but the water will be too rough to get a ski run in this weekend so I will get to be the driver.

Ron, you need to find the location of the problem and work it out from there. To me, the pain comes and goes and I try to work around it. Also, get a good beach chair and none of the saggy ones. My chair is a simple one similar to the old webbing types and it goes where ever I go.

rsinger
08-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Ron, you need to find the location of the problem and work it out from there.

Absolutely, but... I've had back issues before, sporadically. Always a different area, and I knew I sprained something and it's always healed on its own.
This is the first time it started at the lower left and shot right down to my toes. I did a bunch or research on the internet and found my symptoms the same as sciatic nerve issues. Got right down to the doctor to get started on tests.

I guess only time will tell where I go from here, but weather it will be a chronic issue or not I WILL start exercising that area of my back as soon as it gets better. I want to do what I can to avoid something that drastic from happening again.

Hockey starts in just over a month and I would like to play this winter.

rsinger
09-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Can't believe it. Took out the boat today to let a friends daughters do some wakeboarding, and burn some 3 week old gas. I was feeling so good I did a little wake surfing. First time in my life I managed to stay in or close to the sweet spot. If I got out I also managed to recover.

Right now I'm sitting in our camper and can lift my leg without any pain at all. Yesterday I couldn't get it more than a couple of inches off the ground.

Life is good. I'll even have some pics for the September thread. Who knows, maybe a little wakeboarding tomorrow.:wink:

jpetty3023
09-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Can't believe it. Took out the boat today to let a friends daughters do some wakeboarding, and burn some 3 week old gas. I was feeling so good I did a little wake surfing. First time in my life I managed to stay in or close to the sweet spot. If I got out I also managed to recover.

Right now I'm sitting in our camper and can lift my leg without any pain at all. Yesterday I couldn't get it more than a couple of inches off the ground.

Life is good. I'll even have some pics for the September thread. Who knows, maybe a little wakeboarding tomorrow.:wink:

Atta Boy! No Worries right there..

wolfeman131
09-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Go figure! Glad you had a good day.

jdntexas
09-01-2012, 10:41 PM

Great to hear a success story! All that surfin' had to help strengthen those back muscles! Enjoy the good times!