PDA

View Full Version : 98 Boomarang filling with water

Texan
08-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Just bought this boat recently, super clean low hours nice boat. The first couple times out the bilge pump came on twice, I didn't like it but no biggy. After the first trip I brought it home and put about 5 inches of water in it. (enough to fill the section under the bottom carpeted area of the boat)
After about 20 minutes I saw a small drip appear where the drive equipment comes out of the bottom of the boat. Not near enough to cause the issues I was having on the lake, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a crack or hole in the bottom of the boat.

Anyway yesterday after several hours of pulling wake skaters and some aggressive driving the boat took on waaaay too much water, it actually filled the back of the boat 3 or 4 inches above the carpet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

wolfeman131
08-27-2012, 12:26 PM
drive less aggressive

wolfeman131
08-27-2012, 12:27 PM
did you take water over the bow, over the transom when you came to a stop, over the side?

hard to diagnose, but that seems to be a lot if you're not taking water over the side. Does your boat have a bilge pump?

ga-lsv05
08-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Seems to be a little to much water but nothing a decent bilge pump couldnt handle

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

sandm
08-27-2012, 12:44 PM
I would guess that it's possibly the packing cord? if it's leaking with the boat parked, chances are it's taking on a lot more water when it's running. might also check the plugs on the exhaust manifolds and make sure they are installed. I'd put it in the water and start it up, if you don't notice water pumping out anywhere, run it and see if you get water in the bottom again. if you do, chances are it's your cord.

my buddy has a 94 boomerang and I bet his bilge pump probably runs 3-4x during a solid day of slalom/wakeboarding. and he's the worst of the group I regular with at powerturning :(

DOCDRS
08-27-2012, 08:52 PM
As Sandm.......check your driveline shaft packing gland and tighten if possible , if water is leaking out from the bilge thru this with the boat out of the water then water is coming in when it is in the water. check the hose clamps that fit around the thru hull and the packing gland (could be loose)

MOOMBA_97
08-29-2012, 09:17 AM
If you look on the transom there is a LARGE hole where the steering shaft goes through. It is covered by a plastic piece for looks. Alot of water comes through when you stop or if you sitting around with weight on the back. I had a 97 that took on water that way. Not much you can do, just the nature of the beast with those boats.

kaneboats
08-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Monty, good to hear from you on here. How's your summer going? How's them kids?

Texan
08-29-2012, 10:07 AM
thanks for your time guys