PDA

View Full Version : Rode a Malibu with a Surf Gate this weekend

bkearney
08-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Overtons had a "Battlr of the Brands" here in Raleigh. It was a good time, and of course my wallet is now lighter. However, we got to ride in a 23ft malibu with the surf gate. I am new in general to wake board boats, but this ithe first thing which really impressed the heck out of me.

The wake was about 4 ft tall, and about 8 feet wide. It engages at 7mph, and can switch on the fly. I have no idea how it works, but I hope the come up with a way to mount these on older boats.

mnpracing
08-27-2012, 10:25 AM
I rode one as well, and was really impressed. The way it was explained to me is that the surfgate engages (pushes out to be inline with the hull) on the opposite side that you are surfing. This effectivly extends the hull on that side. The wave on that side of the boat builds later than the surf side since the water has to clear this extended hull. What that does is causes the non-surf-side wave to build underneath the surf-side wave, creating a bigger wave, with ample push. Seems to make sense to a bean-counter like me. It was mounted very similar to how our wakeplates are mounted. No through hull bolting, just lag screws with one hydraulic actuator per side. Time will tell if that is study enough. I haven't heard of anyone having their wakeplate ripped off, and I wouldn't think the pressure is any more or less on the surfgate tabs, but what do I know.

I really liked the wave, and also that it was not listed over (it was slightly). They weighted the boat evenly with stock ballast full, and then 750's in each rear locker. Stock ballast is 350 hard tank in bow, 500 hard tank in mid and 2 – 250 hard tanks one in each rear compartment under the floor. It is pre plumbed to add additional bags to both sides of the engine compartment. So that's about 2,850 total, all plumbed and hidden. 1000gpm piranhas with 1" lines. The surfgate is being offered on all wakesetter models, not sure about the ride, and sunsetter? models. It's spendy, but I'm thinking about it. Our family is mixed goofy and regular, and our friends are a mix as well. I'm growing tired of switching sides, and also having the boat listed over so far. One of guys on the boat was trying to transition from one side to the other. It takes about 4 seconds for the wave to transition sides. He almost got the timing down, but not quite. The model we rode was $85, msrp of $102.

ga-lsv05
08-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Was this wave produced with the gate alone? Because I'm pretty sure guys are surpassing that without the gate. Is a cool idea tho and the change on the fly is cool but not necessary unless you're changing surfers on the fly as well.I'm not bashing the boat by any means as I would certainly consider one if they were competitively priced

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

saskyrider
08-27-2012, 10:34 AM
I love the idea of it... however for me to upgrade to something like that would put me 50K out of pocket (and i'm being conservative) that is a huge amount to pay for convienience!!! Plus the fact that i only get 4-6 months of boating weather.... can't justify that! I'll stick to fat sacs, pumps and leaning thanks!!

Now if someone can make a aftermarket kit then i'll be all over it!!

wolfeman131
08-27-2012, 10:35 AM
I would certainly consider one if they were competitively priced

The model we rode was $85, msrp of $102.

so . . . . .

ga-lsv05
08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
They will obviously never be competitively priced lol. Don't think I could spend 85k on a sticker and trim tabs

bkearney
08-27-2012, 10:40 AM
The nice thing I saw is that you weight your boat for Wake boarding or Surfing. So, it removes 2 change overs. Instead of doing on setup for baording, one for normal, and one for goofy.. you weight your boat once and off you go. Now... the tubers still mess you up.. but you gotta do what you gotta do.

ga-lsv05
08-27-2012, 10:50 AM
The dreaded tubers...

patrick232
08-27-2012, 11:02 AM
There are some guys that are making surf gates for there boats. If it works I think it will be a good DIY project. The only issue is the swim platform.

Boonejeepin
08-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Borrowed from Wakeworld

jmvotto
08-27-2012, 11:17 AM
thread jack kind of..

I have witness more and more wake boats on our lake from all brands, but i noticed the malibus ride fairly horizontalk to the water at almost all speeds. is it the wedge or just the hull. i would assume the wedge is not in place when cruising...

back to the Op

mnpracing
08-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Borrowed from Wakeworld

On the 'bu, the furthest the surfgate goes out is to be in-line with the hull, not past it. When not in use, it's angled toward the centerline of the boat, at about a 30-40 degree angle.

maxpower220
08-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Nothing like bolting $2 of wood and screws to your $50K boat. It just screams "Classy"

Boonejeepin
08-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I think it was just to prove the concept. They had a picture of a decent wave with the scrap wood surfgate.

I hope it is bolted to the temp swim platform and not the hull. I don't see screws into the hull but who knows.

sandm
08-27-2012, 12:51 PM
mn,

ragboy(ww) has figured out the transfer pump setup on his z3 and is claiming 4 minutes to swap from one side to the other. all he's doing is pumping the water between sides. don't know the details, but I would guess he's using larger pumps/hose than you can use filling/draining and really, by the time you switch boards/lifejackets and get a rider in the water, his system is switched. might be worth some investigation. robert seems to be a nice guy that would share his info if you ask..

kind of an amazing video, but the wake on the regular side as he moves doesn't look all that great to me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Svhrrd364

bergermaister
08-27-2012, 01:02 PM
If I ever go custom bags I am going to have an extra port on the bottom of each. So my lower rear ports would still be for the drains. The lower (2nd set) ports would have a reversible pump between them.

For example, filling it would be:
T-1200 into 1100 port bag
+ Starboard side T-1200 into starboard bag, then through reversible to 1100 port bag.

Switching sides would be:
Starboard T-1200 filling starboard bag
+ Reversible draining/pumping from port to starboard bag

No idea what that would mean for fill times or switch times but it would definitely be faster and likely cheaper than adding a gate.

I'd be more interested in a gate or other add-on that would allow more wake shaping or bigger size vs. quick changes.

wolfeman131
08-27-2012, 03:42 PM
anyone tried, or been on a boat with a switchblade?

http://www.towanza.com/products/2834-Wake-Enhancement/10146-SwitchBlade-Wake-Enhancement-System/

jmvotto
08-27-2012, 03:53 PM

http://www.towanza.com/products/2834-Wake-Enhancement/10146-SwitchBlade-Wake-Enhancement-System/

something for the kiddos to bang there feet on.... video of djjames is pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQJs14mLgMA

ga-lsv05
08-27-2012, 03:55 PM
I researched the switchblade a few years ago and found that puts an astronomical amount of stress on the transom and really doesnt help that much. Probably a reason why centurion doesn't carry them anymore

maxpower220
08-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Pretty much just the Malibu Wedge II. I have been behind the Mailbu with a wedge. There have been a lot of threads on other sites concerning the merits and drawbacks.

sandm
08-27-2012, 04:10 PM

our old centurion dealer told me this was a great device for wakeboarding, but was worthless for surfing. the last few years they were a centurion dealer, they only ordered 1 boat with it and it was for a family that wakeboarded exclusively.

answer the question, no.

mmandley
08-27-2012, 04:13 PM
mn,

ragboy(ww) has figured out the transfer pump setup on his z3 and is claiming 4 minutes to swap from one side to the other. all he's doing is pumping the water between sides. don't know the details, but I would guess he's using larger pumps/hose than you can use filling/draining and really, by the time you switch boards/lifejackets and get a rider in the water, his system is switched. might be worth some investigation. robert seems to be a nice guy that would share his info if you ask..

kind of an amazing video, but the wake on the regular side as he moves doesn't look all that great to me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Svhrrd364

Im sure this is set up like the 24Ve he has that Wake Makers did.

He had custom bags made with 1inch ports and 3 pumps.
1 pump for each bag
1 pump is a X or cross over pump.

When you switch it does this.
1 pump is draining the side your done on.
1 pump is filling the surf side
1 pump X is draining the side your done on and adding it directly to the new surf side.

Im sure they are using the new Ultra pumps i have now as i can fill my V drive in 10 minutes with the key off. If the engine is running its even faster because the pumps getting better amperage.

motosno963
08-27-2012, 05:05 PM
I researched the switchblade a few years ago and found that puts an astronomical amount of stress on the transom and really doesnt help that much. Probably a reason why centurion doesn't carry them anymore

i always thought about that..and it says the switchback would equal out to about 1200lbs of ballast.. thats alot of force pulling on stern..i can only imagine one day ur using it and just rips a hole in the back and ur boat sinks

ga-lsv05
08-27-2012, 05:16 PM
our old centurion dealer told me this was a great device for wakeboarding, but was worthless for surfing. the last few years they were a centurion dealer, they only ordered 1 boat with it and it was for a family that wakeboarded exclusively.

answer the question, no.

I was told by a centurion dealer that it was mainly for surfing lol

Boonejeepin
08-27-2012, 06:15 PM
A wise man once said... There's no replacement for displacement.

mmandley
08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
A wise man once said... There's no replacement for displacement.
True that my brother from another mother true that.

ga-lsv05
08-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Mmm aircraft carrier surfing

Boonejeepin
08-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Mmm aircraft carrier surfing

You will need to be 1-2 miles back from the stern but goofy and regular have almost identical wakes. It takes about 4 weeks for it to stop, turn, and pick you up when you loose the push.

Never power turn an aircraft carrier!!!!!

WaterBullDawg1980
08-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Love it. What a concept. Golf clap for Malibu for bringing this to the forefront. My daughter surfs goofy, as well as one of her cousins who are out with us all the time so I feel the pain of having to switch up. For those of us that wakeboard 90% of the time, how was the wakeboard wake?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rdlangston13
08-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Never power turn an aircraft carrier!!!!!

baby seals will die

ga-lsv05
08-28-2012, 09:52 AM
The good thing with the carrier is you won't need a rope. You could paddle in!

mmandley
08-28-2012, 09:54 AM
From what i have herd the Surf gate is just for that, at any other time its folded flad to match the hull, so i would expect the wave to be the same as any wave on X series of Malibu.

I have to admit though im just not a believer yet. I just dont get how 2 little fiberglass panels on actuators will make that big a difference. Im not sold on it being as reliable as a wake plate. I also want to see the ramifications if any when you sac it out way past the normal weights of a stock system.

You know this is going to happen, for the most part only non serious surfers rung stock ballast as a surf wave, this is not to say you cant surf stock because we all know if you have the right board, you are less then 200 then you can ride stock ballast in most V drive boats.

The average boat thats surfing is running 750s and thats a whole new set of physics on the SurfGate system. Im going to talk with the guys at AWS and find out what they have tried, and if i can i want to get it out there with some fatty sacs and a 5 man crew and put it down deep and power turn it to see how it reacts LOL

Boonejeepin
08-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Gerry from AWS has a video of stock ballast + 750s.

Price on the Bu w at AWS was 95k! Ouch!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeq_crX5qRg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

dusty2221
08-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Am I missing something by thinking Surfgate also equals more gas burnt? I mean, if the boat gets equally weighted...guys will be rolling around all day with lets say BOTH 1100's filled in the back vs just the surf side 1100. Seems to me that extra 1100 pounds you are cruising around with all day is gonna make the day alot shorter.

Am I alone in thinking that? Haven't seen it mentioned.

Boonejeepin
08-28-2012, 10:22 AM
I guess the gas issue is a good point. The boat may be weighted evenly but more weight is more weight......

mmandley
08-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Dusty you are correct on the fuel usage, but maybe if your ina 100K boat 150 worth a fuel is no big deal LOL. I love the idea and the concept no joke about it. I could see my buddy Steve and me Constantly trying to make it switch side to side LOL.

I rode in the 23 LSV and its pretty pimp and Gerry O <Sales Manager> also the one surfing in that video said he would give me a deal of a lifetime on that boat. That boat didnt have a surfgate HAHA. Even at a deal of the lifetime i dont think i can swallow Malibu pricing. I can get a Z3 any day of the week and right now thats the Crem de La Crem of surfboats ive actually riden.

08-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Dusty you are correct on the fuel usage, but maybe if your ina 100K boat 150 worth a fuel is no big deal LOL. I love the idea and the concept no joke about it. I could see my buddy Steve and me Constantly trying to make it switch side to side LOL.

I rode in the 23 LSV and its pretty pimp and Gerry O <Sales Manager> also the one surfing in that video said he would give me a deal of a lifetime on that boat. That boat didnt have a surfgate HAHA. Even at a deal of the lifetime i dont think i can swallow Malibu pricing. I can get a Z3 any day of the week and right now thats the Crem de La Crem of surfboats ive actually riden.

You should try suring the new X-30 to compare it to the Z3. The wave is excellent, but MC doesn't get the same love as other brands lol.

I personally think the Surfgate looks awesome. No reason to hate on an idea that appears to work with little if any drawbacks. I think other manufacturers are going to be a little (or a lot) jealous of this invention.

bkearney
08-28-2012, 12:54 PM
You should try suring the new X-30 to compare it to the Z3. The wave is excellent, but MC doesn't get the same love as other brands lol.

I personally think the Surfgate looks awesome. No reason to hate on an idea that appears to work with little if any drawbacks. I think other manufacturers are going to be a little (or a lot) jealous of this invention.

My guess is the surfgate will be like the pickle-fork front. We hate it, it sucks, Oooh.. look at the new Mojo.

sandm
08-28-2012, 02:42 PM
just like the switchblade, the wedge, gate valves with belly ballast and now surfgate. anything that manuf. are putting into r&d is good in my book.. surfgate might not last long, but if they are not trying new things, the sport will never progress. several boat vendors had 3 surf tabs(seems it was sanger/mc). they never really caught on, but it might be what led to this and who knows, maybe some engineer at skiers will have the proverbial lightbulb go off and the next thing is coming.

I think it's interesting, but from my perspective, look at the video of the first side to side 360 and the regular wave does not look that great(might need some tweaking) and swapping sides gives the people in my boat a chance to jump in and cool off, enjoy some social time and drink a beer.

loudsubz
08-28-2012, 03:28 PM
In our boat goofy riders just don't get a say....

rdlangston13
08-28-2012, 06:04 PM
In our boat goofy riders just don't get a say....

me and my fiance are both goofy so its kind of the other way around on our boat

lewisb13
08-28-2012, 06:26 PM
me and my fiance are both goofy so its kind of the other way around on our boat

Amen! Much more worried about my goofy wake lol

wolfeman131
08-28-2012, 06:26 PM
me and my fiance are both goofy

Yeah we know that, but what way do you ride?

rdlangston13
08-28-2012, 08:12 PM

oh that's what we're talking about??

jmvotto
08-28-2012, 10:04 PM

Insert mom or ole blue joke here ... Lol