PDA

View Full Version : Had a craptastic day on the lake

patrick232
08-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Today we went out on Buckeye Lake for the first time in 2 years. The wife wanted to explore part have the lake we have never seen. This was right after asking how deep the lake was, no depth gauge on this boat. So we relax and let the oldest Jacob drive the boat, been doing a lot of this so he can get the feel of the boat. Cruising along at 10mph and notice other boats (stern drives) stopped, then we hit and stop. This lake is know for its soft bottom. I take over the controls and she does not want to move. So I had to be the first in the water to push the boat off the mud.

Then off to dinner and that is when the next issue arose, when starting the boat and putting in gear ofer dinner I heard the grand of the prop on something solid. No vibrations up to 30 thought I get lucky, nope.

We pull the kids tubing then back to the trailer. After putting the boat on the trailer, wiping down and putting the tie downs on. I just had to look at the prop, it needed a closer look.

As I set the phone on the swim platform to get a closer look at the prop. Yep the prop has a nice bend about the size of a screw head in one blade and is really scratched from the soft grounding in the mud.

So this brings the third issue, I get in the truck and drive off a little upset. About 5 miles down the road I remember my phone on the platform. Stop the truck to look, no phone. So back to the ramp we go turning around on a country road. It's not in the parking lot or the first turn out. So we head out slowing looking for the phone, without hope. Thanks to the wife spotting the battery cover in the grass we stop the truck. Next I found the battery laying in the center of the double yellow line. Last we find the phone, put it back together and it works. Its got four dented corners and the bottom plastic cover is missing.

So it's time for a Breakout another thousand.
Order new phone on Monday
Pull prop and send out on Monday
Order and install a depth finder or order a new LSV with on installed. I was told no already about the new LSV.

moombadaze
08-26-2012, 07:58 AM
, I was told no already about the new LSV.

"no" simple means more information is needed to make a informed buying decision, never, ever give up on the first reply

Nobodyrides4Free
08-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Your Lucky it was just the prop, a lot of the guys this year have done worse damage. Like drive shaft and hull damage, a couple of thousand. I let my buddy drive away from dock and he barely got close to shore and the end my prop scrathed and minor bend on a tip. Maybe you had an upgrade coming on the phone and the boat! Sorry Patrick

bergermaister
08-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Feel your pain brotha - may even be able to one-up you on the craptastic events.

At least it was the last day of a week long vacation but...

-Blew exhaust gasket (hopefully that's all it is) so limped back to shore and the party is over.
-Reservoir dropped 2-3 feet over the week and we barely got the boat back on the trailer. Dinged up the new 1847 a bit in the process...
-Crazy weird feedback coming through EQ when in AUX mode to the point of having to shut it down and leave it off for good.
-Overheated/Fried bearing buddies on both sides of front trailer axle when brakes got too hot on a 4 mile hill.
-Small rip in the boat cover in strong wind turned into complete devastation of the cover ripping completely in half and shredding in several other places (but it is, ok it WAS an old cover)

All this took place in a 24hr period.

Woke up this morning and my back is killing me!

sandm
08-26-2012, 11:16 AM
man, this thread is depressing..

time for some sunshine :)

went surfing yesterday on a buddies sanger and had a good day.
great steak last night for dinner
watched hunger games. better than I expected
pissed the new neighbor off I think since he came to the door in the middle of the movie and I didn't know how to stop it as we were streaming it off dish-think it was a little short with him, so I'm baking him cookies right now as a peace offering..

going to the mall later today to buy a michigan state shirt for our annual united way drive. football themed and my tradition is to wear the opponents shirt that bsu plays in their first game.. got lots of shirts I have only worn once :)

hope you all have a better sunday..

kaneboats
08-27-2012, 10:18 AM
The shirt thing is funny. I had a neighbor (may he RIP) a while back that was a coach at a private school. One of the other coaches was really into his favorite teams. Any time one of that guy's teams lost a game this neighbor would show up wearing the hat from whatever team had beaten them -- football, baseball, hockey, you name it. He had a collection of over 60 different hats so sometimes he could just get one out he had worn before. He was merciless with the old guy but it was pretty dang funny.

E4NASH
08-27-2012, 11:06 AM
...Pull prop and send out on Monday

Same type of day for me today bud...similar situation as you had with an unexepcted meeting with the rocky bottom...fun times! If you send it to Acme be prepared for 3 week repair time. At least that is what they told me this AM.

wolfeman131
08-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Plenty of other places to get it repaired and probably faster & cheaper.

Kaneboats used a good place in Panama City. Pretty close to the ATL to save shipping time.

dusty2221
08-27-2012, 11:43 AM
I suggest Nettles. They are awesome to work with. I left a prop with them at the jam and had it back a little over a week later.

E4NASH
08-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Plenty of other places to get it repaired and probably faster & cheaper.

Kaneboats used a good place in Panama City. Pretty close to the ATL to save shipping time.

Local repair here will be about 165 and I'd have it back in a week. Can't get it to them until Saturday though. Acme will be 125 plus shipping and 3 week turn around. Think I'll go the local route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
08-27-2012, 11:56 AM
bet you could get ATL Marine to go & pull it for you for a little coin

E4NASH
08-27-2012, 12:19 PM
bet you could get ATL Marine to go & pull it for you for a little coin

Meh, I'll just pull it myself and take it over there to them. We can't go out next weekend regardless anyway so no rush...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
08-27-2012, 12:59 PM
wowsers. local shop here is $89 and 3 day turn. in on monday, out on thurs afternoon..

patrick232
08-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Currently the prop shops I called have 5 working days to turn a prop around. I had a spare prop from my XLV that was down at our condo in TN, was able to have a buddy pick it up, hope it fits.

Ill post a picture of the prop, I might try and run with it on Friday. No vibration after the strike. Since I can't get the spare till Saturday.

beat taco
08-30-2012, 01:32 AM
-Overheated/Fried bearing buddies on both sides of front trailer axle when brakes got too hot on a 4 mile hill.

I put a toggle switch in my truck to send 12v to the brake solenoid just for that reason. Too many big hills around here, I shut my trailer brakes off regularly.