PDA

View Full Version : Got a Middle-schooler?

wolfeman131
08-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Oldest daughter is starting 7th grade this year. Tough time for kids & parents, alike. We attended an "Open House" last night and the teacher handed us a piece of paper and asked that we read it with a picture of our child in our head.

Enjoy:

What is a middle schooler,
I was asked one day.
I knew what she was . . .
but what should I say?

She is noise & confusion.
She is silence that is deep.
She is sunshine & laughter,
or a cloud that will weep.

She is swift as an arrow.
She is a waster of time.
She wants to be rich,
bu can't save a dime.

She is rude & nasty.
She is as polite as can be.
She wants my guidance,
but fights to be free.

She is aggressive & bossy.
She is timid & shy.
She knows all the answers,
but still will ask, "Why?"

She is awkward & clumsy.
She is graceful & poised.
She is ever changing,
but do not be annoyed.

What is a middle schooler
I was asked one day.
She is future unfolding.
Do not stand in her way!

kaneboats
08-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Very cute. I know all those sentiments well.

jmvotto
08-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks Drew. I have one going into 7th grade this year as well.

WaterBullDawg1980
08-24-2012, 11:52 AM
This has me very concerned. Fiona is going into 4th grade this year and imo has a little bit of a sharper tongue than ever before. Seems like there is always something to say after she is told something. Not even disrespectful but just something. VERY frustrating.

So you guys are telling me it's going to get worse instead of better? Can't wait. :(

wolfeman131
08-24-2012, 11:57 AM
So you guys are telling me it's going to get worse instead of better? Can't wait. :(

kane will lay it down for you, bro. I think the consensus is that they leave you from 13 to 23, or so and then you will somehow become intelligent again.

tarheelskier
08-24-2012, 12:29 PM
I have an 8th grade boy, so totally understand.

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." - Mark Twain

This pretty much sums it up, but we were all 14 at one time!

E4NASH
08-24-2012, 01:27 PM
This has me very concerned. Fiona is going into 4th grade this year and imo has a little bit of a sharper tongue than ever before. Seems like there is always something to say after she is told something. Not even disrespectful but just something. VERY frustrating.

Similar thing here except it's our 5th grade son...he, apparently, knows everything.

jpetty3023
08-24-2012, 01:36 PM
I have one going into high school, 5th grade, and 3rd. Now I know where the grey hairs are coming from. Just for Men is in my near future

Sent from my home phone..

kaneboats
08-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Similar thing here except it's our 5th grade son...he, apparently, knows everything.

Chip off the old block, eh?

E4NASH
08-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Chip off the old block, eh?

LOL, Man, I hope not...he's actually my stepson and If he's anything like the biological donor Lord help us....that guy puts the Dead Beat in Dead Beat Dad!

I've been around Caleb more than his bio so maybe he is a chip off the ol' block, because I DO know EVERYTHING...of course... :cool:

moombadaze
08-24-2012, 03:31 PM
I have one going into high school, 5th grade, and 3rd. Now I know where the grey hairs are coming from. Just for Men is in my near future

Sent from my home phone..

at least you still have hair. what i still have is turning grey too.

rca
08-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Keep the grey, it looks distinguished on men. Shoot I have a sophomore and a junior. We are into boy friends and driving. We've even been looking at colleges this summer.

At this rate I'm just hoping I keep some hair. Mine is moving from grey straight to white. Maybe I can grow the beard out and play Santa.

WaterBullDawg1980
08-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Keep the grey, it looks distinguished on men. Shoot I have a sophomore and a junior. We are into boy friends and driving. We've even been looking at colleges this summer.

At this rate I'm just hoping I keep some hair. Mine is moving from grey straight to white. Maybe I can grow the beard out and play Santa.

I cannot even imagine this. Boyfriends? Cars? Prom night? Kill me now.

moombadaze
08-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Boyfriends? Kill me now.

do a google search for "application to date my daaughter" then print it out

VA LSV
08-26-2012, 08:29 AM
My daughter will graduate college in Dec and Monday is my son's 1st day of college. Middle school and high school can trying times for both parents and kids. Their circle of friends has a huge impact, peer pressure is a very powerful thing. Be involved in their lives, keep open communications about ALL topics and develop a level of trust. Stick to your guns, be consistant and above all make sure you tell them how much you love them.

E4NASH
08-26-2012, 09:31 AM
I cannot even imagine this. Boyfriends? Cars? Prom night? Kill me now.

^^^^^ This!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmvotto
08-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Had 7 7th grade girls sleep over at the lake house, was actually a lot of fun, tubing swimming, campfire and all slept in a big tent on the porch.

Next weekend , 10 15 yr old girls coming to repeat the same.

Darn sept birthdays......

wolfeman131
08-26-2012, 11:18 PM
My daughter will graduate college in Dec and Monday is my son's 1st day of college. Middle school and high school can trying times for both parents and kids. Their circle of friends has a huge impact, peer pressure is a very powerful thing. Be involved in their lives, keep open communications about ALL topics and develop a level of trust. Stick to your guns, be consistant and above all make sure you tell them how much you love them.

Maybe the absolute best advice I've ever read on this forum. Thanks!

rca
08-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Agreed Drew. Thanks!

sybrmike
08-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Great words form VA LSV. But like Ron I've got girls (grades 8 & 12), so the only thing I'd add to

...Stick to your guns, be consistant and above all make sure you tell them how much you love them.

Would be to take those guns out & polish them frequently in the presence of their male friends.

rca
08-27-2012, 11:20 AM
You ever heard the Rodney Atkins song "Cleaning This Gun." One of my 16 year old daughters favorites.

bergermaister
08-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Love that one Ron! Another good song for the troubled teen years is "He's Mine" by Rodney Atkins.

My baby grrrrrr starts 6th grade/middle school this year and I'm apprehensive for sure. She's a sharp kid though, has 2 older sisters so she doesn't take any crap from friends or peer pressure easily. Hope it stays that way.

saskyrider
08-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Well, have a 17 year old step son and an 8 year old daughter... The step son and I have a good relationship, I've been a part of his life since he was 4... The he's mine song pretty much sums up our life hahaha, great kid big heart but man does he make some head scratching decisions... Now my 8 year old daughter .. Ohhh boy! She has a severe case of "ineedtogetthelastworitis" and it drives me nuts!! But hey she my little angel so what do you do?? As for when she gets older and starts to date?? Well I'd rather know her boyfriend and have them like me and be around then having to skulk around behind my back.. We watched my son's bio dad fight with him cause he didn't like josh's gf, it doesn't work! In fact it only made josh's resolve stonger to date her..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

rca
08-31-2012, 12:32 PM
So true. A wise man once said "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

Only problem is he must not have had teenagers. Either that or he just left that part out. There's a revelation, maybe that means if you survive the teenage years they'll end up OK.

ga-lsv05
08-31-2012, 03:39 PM
I've got some time to prepare my daughter is 2 :thumbup:

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast