PDA

View Full Version : Grand Lake, OK ??

KCMobius
08-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Can anybody give me some insight to Grand Lake in Oklahoma? I am going to try it for the 3 day holiday weekend. We plan to stay near Bernice. Looking for some spots to wakeboard and some other spots to hang out. Will the big boats be a problem on a busy weekend?

Thanks for any help

evoimport6
08-22-2012, 07:41 PM
you need to consult rick, nobodyridesforfree! he is a grand lake guy. I have been there but it was may and kind of cold and windy. But we still found some decent water. We were at monkey island.

tnbrooks01
08-22-2012, 09:14 PM
I have a place on Grand, we are in Disney down near the dam. If you are looking to wakeboard you can go under the bernice bridge to the north side and water is usually pretty good. If you make it up near Grove you can go to Carey Bay. Or if you can get there you can usually find good water way back in Drowning creek. IMO Wakeboarding is not an option after about 10am anywhere but possibly the named places.

The BIG boats will be a problem and unfortunately its not just on holiday weekends anymore. Duck creek and Dripping Springs are across the lake from each other. I try to avoid those areas in my boat (2010 LSV) just because the waves get so big its no fun at all.

Fun places to hangout out are Dripping Springs (not so kid friendly), thunder bay in the back of Duck Creek, Ketchum cove (party cove).

Hope this helps. if you would like more info let me know.

KCMobius
08-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the help, I have spent lots of time on lake of the ozarks and table rock lake. Sounds more like lake of the ozarks. The bridge at Bernice is low, so that keeps the big boats south, that's what I hear. I won't have any trouble getting under the bridge with a wake tower, will I?

tnbrooks01
08-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Should not be a problem to get under that bridge with a tower. Just pay a little closer attention to the depth as that area is fairly flat.

Nobodyrides4Free
08-23-2012, 07:45 AM
KC, My place is 5 minutes from Bernice bridge. You will be able to clear the bridge no problem. If you are coming south from the bridge and want to board, Go to the right(west) the flats is where I go for calm water. Skiers and boarders go there. A few big boats go there on weekend to float and hangout. The main part of lake is rough from big cruisers. I try to follow one if I go accross the lake to Duck Creek or Dripping Springs. Duck Creek has marinas and Ugly johns(resturant) food is pretty good, they are only open on weekends now. The party coves are not bad becuase GRDA stays in the Big ones to make sure of No nudity and craziness. Dripping has the cliffs you can jump off of. Alot of boats and loud music on weekends. Woodard Hallow is straight south of Monkey Island and is more laid back. No cliffs and a Older crowd. Its just a big cove, no resturants or marinas. Monkey Island has a marina and Insland Joes resturant and bar. Typical bar food, thats ok.
We are heading down Friday morning the 31st for the weekend. We can catch up with you if you want. Its our all adult holiday weekend we take every year. I will Pm you.
Let me know if you have more questions, My albums has pics of the Lake and friends if you want to look at them.

Todd are you coming Labor Day weekend?

KCMobius
08-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks to all for the insight, this is exactly whatI was looking for. Rick, I sent you a PM. Maybe we will see you on the water. Looking forward to checking out a new lake. Any time on the water with the Moomba is a great time!

tnbrooks01
08-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Todd are you coming Labor Day weekend?

I think we are headed up there Friday after work if weather is looking good. We will be there all day Saturday and part of Sunday as we have to get back for a wakeboard demo and event on Skiatook Monday at Crosstimbers Marina.

Hit me up and we can meet up. I will have a small group of kids wakeboarding.

Nobodyrides4Free
08-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Todd, sounds good. Where do you board at , by the dam? Skiatook is like 7 feet low according to lake reports, be careful? I will PM you my number.

New Guy
08-24-2012, 09:43 AM
I've met Rick down at Brostock he's a stand up guy, I'm sure that you guys will have a good time.

Nobodyrides4Free
08-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Why thank you Sir.... LOL . Are we on for Brostock Next year? Ive already got a crew committed to 2013 Brostock! Mark, Had a Great time hanging with you... Nothing like good people at the lake, Especially Moomba People!

New Guy
08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Hell yeah to that. I think that we are going to go again next year I'm not 100% sure yet though. I really wish that they would move it somewhere that the water was better.

tnbrooks01
08-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Todd, sounds good. Where do you board at , by the dam? Skiatook is like 7 feet low according to lake reports, be careful? I will PM you my number.

On skiatook we typically ride 3-4 days a week along a bluff beside hwy 20 bridge. Labor day will be a demo/comp at Tall Chief Cove and Crosstimbers Marina.

The good thing about Skiatook is lake patrol does a really good job of identifying the low areas with bouys.

We will meet up on grand I got your number.

evoimport6
08-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Why thank you Sir.... LOL . Are we on for Brostock Next year? Ive already got a crew committed to 2013 Brostock! Mark, Had a Great time hanging with you... Nothing like good people at the lake, Especially Moomba People!

I heard it is going to be in Idaho next year. Am I wrong, and rick whats up with the no invite, were we too rowdy for ya?

New Guy
08-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Yeah I want Andy to come too.

Idaho is a heck of a ride but the water has to be better.

Nobodyrides4Free
08-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Ok Ok he can come too....LOL . Just kidding, I hope everyone can go to 2013. Andy wouldnt think of not inviting you. We had a blast !
You like playing with my Big Black Balls on the dock soooo Much...wouldnt miss it for the world. I have not heard they were changing it. They typically have it at same place for 3 years. It was just a windy weekend and Captain Rons will take beating with the south wind everytime. I would like to see more Moomba folks there. Mark if you go we will have to stay at closer places or together.

jboardman
08-27-2012, 01:18 PM
I do almost all my boating at Grand Lake and Table Rock. Table Rock is awesome but Grand Lake serves its purpose since my family has a place there. I don't want to give all my good spots away but since you're a Moomba owner, what the heck. The best places for watersports are Elk River Arm, Neosho River Arm, and Wolf Creek cove. All of these places are on the north side of Sailboat bridge. Carey Bay has some shallow spots so I avoid it. Horse Creek north of the Bernice Bridge is good but I don't go there much because of the distance to my house. Heading down this Friday for Labor Day. We'll probably spend a little time in Woodward Hollow in the afternoons. If you go to any of those places and see a red Moomba XLV GG, it's most likely me. Stop and say hi. Enjoy!

KCMobius
08-27-2012, 04:20 PM
This Moomba Board is the greatest. Thanks to all the replies. I feeel so much better about trying a new lake. Watch out for the Bright Yellow Mobius and say hello if you can! Hope the weather is great and we all can enjoy.

Nobodyrides4Free
08-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Jboardman, Im from wichita.
Its a long haul for us to board where you do. Im straight west of Snake Island by Red Arrow. Its about a 30 minute ride for us
to get to Elk River. We will look for you in Woodard Hallow. We go there on windy days because its close.
Hope to catch up with you. Rick

jboardman
08-28-2012, 05:25 PM
We'll probably end up at Woodward around 2-3 o'clock on Saturday. The coves and river arms north of Sailboat bridge are the best places I've found for boarding on Grand. Horse creek is good but it's a little far for us since my family's place is up north. If they'd just cut that canal thru on monkey island and make it a true island! Hopeful we get to meet.

rdlangston13
08-28-2012, 06:05 PM
I wanna go to Brostock!

Nobodyrides4Free
08-28-2012, 08:03 PM
David, you were invited last year. But you had some lame excuse like WORK or it was too far.... I hope you do go to Brostock next year. We already have my CREW and Andys CREW heading that way again.... Hell Yea!!!!

You could come to Grand this weekend, 3 Moombas already.... I have room at my place for you!
I missed the Texas Jam cuz I already put in for vaca. Thats allright I got a shirt.......SWEET

kaneboats
08-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Speaking of work. Where the heck are you guys now, David? I think you went the wrong way.

rdlangston13
08-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Wanting to go to brostock and being able to go are two different things. Probably wont be able to make it next year either. As for this weekend that is also a no can do since we have our summer vacation coming up to Key West Florida. I am still floating around the GOM on a my ship and my family is headed to Key West on Saturday flying out of Houston. I don't believe I am going to be able to make that flight since no one has been able to get on or off the ship in the last 2 days. I am supposed to change out on Friday but since we are backed up the Tues, Weds, and Thurs people get off first so that may back me into Saturday. So now I have to look at changing my flight to Sunday and meeting the family down there. What a PITA.

I hate you Isaac.

I have a google map of where we are from a snap shot on my I-phone, I will get it uploaded later today. We sailed about 150 miles or so south west on Monday and have since turned back around and I think we are now back on location but the seas are still rough and the wind is still howling. Its an odd feeling walking down the halfway and constantly having the sensation of gaining/losing 50 lbs.

Nobodyrides4Free
09-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Had a Great Labor Day weekend a Grand ! Caught up with John an Tory, KCmbis, Jboardin.

Tory and his wife grew up where my wife went to school and knew all the same people and friends. Torys XLV is Sweet, was never a fan of Red boats, But I am Now! We will catch up with them again, they live close to us and stay at Grand too....

John and his famly met us late one night on the dock and talked till 1230, then went boarding the next morning in the cove right where they were staying. Horse Creek area. Johns son boards pretty good and gave tips to a friend of mine.

Nobodyrides4Free
09-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Loading up at dock, heading out for the day with Friends and surf lessons with beverages.

KCMobius
09-06-2012, 02:49 PM
It was great to meet Rick and sorry I didn't get to meet up with Tory. We had lots of fun at Grand Lake and plan to return there again (hopefully soon). I was quite impressed with Rick's wakeboarding, made me look like an old man even though Rick is older than I am.

Nobodyrides4Free
09-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Wow.. Dont know how to take the compliment and old man statement. LOL Thanks John! We go to Grand on most of the Holidays, let me know when your heading that way.

tnbrooks01
09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
So bummed we didn't make it up to the north end on Saturday. While headed to Ugly's on Saturday out in front of Duck Creek I took what seemed like at least a 55gallon drum of water from big boat wave over the bow.

Nobodyrides4Free
09-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Yea we stayed north because of the South wind. Sunday we were at Uglys for Rock the Dock. I took one over the bow too. Not as bad as year before last though, had 4 inches of water in boat that year. We will catch you next tme Todd....