PDA

View Full Version : General Board/Fins Question

rca
08-22-2012, 05:05 PM
So in general, how do fins affect a surf board? It seems to be different than what I would expect, so I'm just looking for some general teaching on fins. Like, what does it do to the handling of a board if you have one fin in the middle, versus two fins on the outside, versus maybe all 3 fins? That would be on a 3 fin setup obviously. What does it do on a quad, with 2 or 4 fins attached? How does the number and size of fins affect the speed of the board.

I'm just learning wakesurfing, so this is all new to me.

Thanks.

Ron

Doomswell
08-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Yo,
I've been making boards for 10 years now and this question comes up a lot. Throughout the years I have referred people to Surfscience.com if I am not able to personally get in front of them to answer personally. Here is the link to the thruster setup and you can navigate from there. Hope this helps solve some of your questions.

http://www.surfscience.com/topics/surfboard-fins/setups/thruster/

Also here is a link to a youtube video we have testing a prototype Wake Surfboard by Doomswell. We have tons more in the hopper waiting to release them Very soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvcOu53KlbI

rca
08-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the links. I checked out your video earlier in the day. I recognized the location right off. Nice to see a local getting involved in the scene (I'm in Sugar Land). I'll check the surfscience link out too.

Doomswell
08-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Cool. Where do you guys usually ride? We are doing some testing on numerous boards. Tri-fins, quads and twinzer setups. Im looking to get a core group of guys from this area to help me test and give feed back. Would you be interested?

rca
08-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Heck yes we'd be interested. We normally ride on the San Bernard River. We occasionally get up to the Trinity. There are several of us on this board that ride the San Bernard a lot.

Doomswell
08-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Good deal. PM me your number or hit me up on Facebook and send me your number. Either way. Looking for some guys that know what they want in a wake surfboard. I've got a ton of blanks in the shop ready to be made in to some serious wake surfboards.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doomswell-Boarding-Co/106014566109057

TL7
08-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Heck yes! Like Ron, I'm stoked to see someone local get into the wakesurf scene. If you need more people to demo/test, my wife and I surf quite a bit. We also mainly ride on the San Bernard. My email is t.leissner AT yahoo.com - I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Doomswell
08-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Yea man. Ill have some more boards done this weekend to test out next week. If you follow the Doomswell Facebook then I will keep everyone updated on the progress. Also our YouTube channel has about 4 videos of our little reality show called Third Coast Shaper. It shows who we are and what we have going on in our shop. Our next episode will be dedicated just to the wake surfing scene and the boards we have coming out. Stay tuned and like us on Facebook. Ill always post on here as well.
Thanks for the enthusiasm guys. Stay tuned!