PDA

View Full Version : XLV start problems

mseidelch
07-28-2005, 04:41 AM
Hello XLV owners,
I now already had problems 3 times that the engine did ignite but did not run. I'm not sure what could be the reason because basically the boat is running very nice.
The three times I used the boat, stopped the engine for some time in the middle of the lake and the it would not restart. Waiting 20-30 Min and then trying again will solve the problem.

I have an idea but am not sure if this is a reasonable trace: Each time it happened the tank was arround 1/4 filled only. While being on the lake the boat moved quite a lot in a front to back way (not lateral). Might this movement -while engine stopped and tank almost empty- allow air pumped in the fuel circuit ? (I heared that is a known problem with Mastercraft)

Would be happy about any idea or feedback.
Anyway my dealer will change the motor electronics box tomorrow - just to be sure it's not that.

Thanks !

Markus

chpprpilot
07-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Markus,
I'd agree with your assessment of the problem. There are a couple of things to consider. Boat fuel guages are notoriously unreliable. I'd go with your hour meter. My 05 XLV burns at about six gallons per hour. I know you guys deal in litres so you know the conversion. I'd just watch your hour meter and work out a good burn rate for your boat

At your low fuel state, (1/4 on the guage) there's a considerable plus or minus factor, plus the movement of the boat which would slosh the remaining fuel around considerably. Once this happens there's a chance of drawing air into your fuel system. Like most vehicles, especially fuel injected vehicles, once you get air in your lines or a vapor lock it can take some time to clear. I haven't had this problem yet and I've been down to three gallons remaining. But I've had it in past boats.

mseidelch
07-28-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks cpilot for your feedback. I'll check today, moving the boat (by hopping arround;) ) with a low fuel level... Then I'll run the boat some days always over 1/2 full to see if it disappears...
I keep you posted !

Markus

sbagley
07-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Markus,

You responded to an old post of mine about my LSV not starting and pointed me to this thread. I think the problem is probably different because it happened to mine once when the tank was over half full. In addition, mine usually takes hours before it will run again.

I'm still trying to sort it out with the dealer. I actually started a different thread under "Vapor Lock" with updates to my situation.

http://www.moomba.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1966

Thanks,
SBagley

marchina
07-31-2005, 12:56 AM
How´s your boat doing? do you think that chose moomba instead of mastercraft or malibu was a mistake? i´m having this thougs.

regards

Simon

marchina
07-31-2005, 01:05 AM
How´s your boat doing? do you think that chose moomba instead of mastercraft or malibu was a mistake? i´m having this thougs.

regards

Simon

mseidelch
07-31-2005, 03:57 AM
For the time being everything is ok. I changed the engine electronics the day before yesterday. In any case I don't think I have the problems because it's a Moomba. The engine is Indmar and you'll find the same in MC & co.
I still think it's an issue with the fuellevel and a boatmovement in a particular way.
I keep testing and let you know.

Have fun on the lake !

Markus

mseidelch
05-02-2006, 01:46 PM
To whom it may concern:

During the winter my boat was reviewed by our Swiss Moomba Dealer.
Finally the reason for the problem was a low quality fuel tubing which widened while getting warm.
So the fuel pump pumped a gas/air mix and there the problem was...

It seems that this issue affected a couple of boats (don't know if only XLVs or only 5.7 MPI engines)... The tube has been changed and I had no problems so far.... (keeping my fingers crossed)

Markus