PDA

View Full Version : What boards are yall riding???

ag04blast
08-20-2012, 03:34 PM
I know another "what blah blah should I buy?" thread....

Right now I have a Liquid force (5ft) and a Liquid force custom (4-10) and I am looking for something better. I am around 190-200lbs and I am finding that I am too heavy for the custom, it is becoming the GFs board. The other liquid force I have is just too slow and heavy. I am looking to get into something faster, lighter and more agile but there are so many boards out there I dont know where to start.

I hate to use the dreaded drive/push words but I am really looking for something faster. I can ride wireless and get some kicks of the wake but just finding it hard to get enough speed to really get some air.

Last thing I want to do is keep buying boards that I dont like. I have looked around an no one around me lets you demo boards, unless I drive up to Austin, which isnt very convenient.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

I have finally got my boat wave dialed in and am now seeing the limitations of the boards I am riding.

dusty2221
08-20-2012, 03:37 PM
You can look into The Walker Project. IF you can find somewhere that STOCKS them that's the way to go. I have a 4'8 F18 built as a triple that we ride as a twin and it is a rocket down the line. You can recover from a mile back and if I had any more skill could air it out like no other. The board wants to fly.

Buying direct from TWP however, I'll never go that route again. 3 terrible experiences with 3 different boards from them learned me that lesson.

ag04blast
08-20-2012, 03:51 PM
You can look into The Walker Project. IF you can find somewhere that STOCKS them that's the way to go. I have a 4'8 F18 built as a triple that we ride as a twin and it is a rocket down the line. You can recover from a mile back and if I had any more skill could air it out like no other. The board wants to fly.

Buying direct from TWP however, I'll never go that route again. 3 terrible experiences with 3 different boards from them learned me that lesson.

I have heard lots of good stuff about the Bomb Pop but it seems to be as elusive as Bigfoot.

Stazi
08-20-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm 200lb 6'2" and I ride a 5'3" LF Fish. It's nice and fast so, and I need all the speed I can get to stay in the pocket behind my LS. Yeatesrday I was able to ride for quite a while ropeless seeing as I finally have the ballast figured out and I can carve and weave too. I can't doo the same on my buddy's 5'0" Ronix Koal or my other buddy's 5'0" Shaka, plus both of those boards are waaaaay too squirrely for my liking. I think If I had been able tyo get the LF Fish 5'6" on sale like I did with the 5'3" I have, it would have been perfect and much more forgiving as far as being able to stay in the pocket.

sandm
08-20-2012, 04:40 PM
I am 5'11" 200 even and switch between 2 now-

on the supra wave, I loved my inland 4skim. that wave was a blast to ride on a short skimboard, but it has been retired from my lineup on the boat now. my friend still loves it and it's all he will ride. he's 6ft, 220 or so.

the 2 I switch to now are a phase5 daniello pro carbon. it's nice and stable and can be ok to ride, but I bought a ronix koal 4'10"(yes, the pink womens version as I love the color and it's the same board as the guys 4'10model) and I absolutely love it on the wave I have now.

my next board will be a soulcraft custom as he's right around the corner from me and is an awesome guy, but I can't seem to find a spare 5bills :)

I have found that everyone can recommend what they like, but seems that every board rides different to every person based on your height/weight and the actual shape and characteristics of the boat wake you are riding..

04OUTBACK
08-20-2012, 05:49 PM
I ride and inland surfer Red Rocket, fun, very stable, and bouyant, but not to easy to trick around on.

z28ke
08-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Hyperlite landlock. It was a great board to learn on before I started adding ballast since I'm 6'4" 220, but now that I'm riding more aggressively and my wave has progressed it can't keep up. I'm looking at the daniello pro carbon or the diamond as my next board.

Sandm: I'd love to hear more insight on your board selection and riding style

sandm
08-20-2012, 11:17 PM
my opinion. read if you like..

a lot of the board selection and what you are happy with comes down to the wake off the boat. the supra I had was a tall and steep wake with a ton of push but didn't have a lot of length, therefore a very small sweet spot to work on, but once you found it, you could ride for miles with zero effort. that said, here's how I came to the boards I have..

no real riding style per se. I don't do 360's/air(haven't really tried working on 360's yet and too fat to catch a ton of air), but I do really like to work the wake and ride up/down/back/forward. I have gotten pretty good at lipslides. I would consider myself an above average rider imo.
I started out on a hyperlite broadcast in '07 as that's what they recommended for beginners. grew out of it quickly and bought the 4skim the next spring. it was a very fast and easy to spin board and suited the wake on the supra well.. decided to look for a different board in late '08 or so. being a boating noob, I thought that a new board would help ride the wake better. demo'ed a prop and loved it, so found the cash and bought the daniello pro. it's the same basic shape and size as the prop, but was touted as a ton lighter. it rode the wake well and I like the fact that it's almost as fast as the skim but has more surface area and a different fin setup so it grips the top of the wake better.

all of this was prior to meeting jeff at soulcraft and nick-a sponsored rider for triplexxx. I have ridden some amazing boards from both(probably close to 15 in the last 2 years-got to ride a carbon skim prototype never released from xxx and it was almost identical to the daniello but a lot lighter yet-would have been a big hit), both skim and surf style and have decided that surf style was what I like now. that's how I ended up with the ronix koal. it's a much different ride than either the skim or daniello. fast, but seems much more planted and able to generate speed down the wave.

as mentioned, a lot of this has to do with the wake your boat creates as to how the boards feel. I didn't have a chance to ride the ronix on the supra, but I really think it would have been hard to ride as the spot was so small on that boat, but the wave I have now has been a blast with the surf style and can't wait to get my hands on another one..

fwiw, wake from supra with a buddy riding the 4skim. not very far back but steep..
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/sandm01/P6200048.jpg

a friend riding the wake now. that board is a custom one-off from Calibrated riding called a piscus. similar to the daniello and very lightweight, but has a different edge to it. not real rounded..
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/sandm01/SDC11442.jpg

saskyrider
08-21-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm 5'8" 205lbs and ride a phase 5 Razz, love it... only has one fin so it's a little squirrely but i'm trying to learn 360's so it's nice for that...

geof

z28ke
08-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback sandm!

E4NASH
08-21-2012, 02:57 PM
I am 6'2" 210 and on our boat we have a Hyperlite Broadcast 4'8" that is the "boat board" (I can ride that no problem)and then I ride a Triple X Skim...not sure the model or dimensions, Drew can tell you those as it's in his repair shop. I REALLY like that board. It's fast, light, and handles great. I miss it...a lot! HURRY UP DREW! Jeez, It's not like you have a traveling job or two budding wakesurfing superstars that you are traveling across the country to comps and stuff! ;)

Doomswell
08-21-2012, 11:39 PM
We are a new board builder out of Texas testing out a new board. MANY more to come! Check out this video of our prototype!

http://youtu.be/bvcOu53KlbI

dusty2221
08-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Hey doomswell, where in Texas are you?

Doomswell
08-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Webster just south of Houston.

wolfeman131
08-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Hey doomswell, where in Texas are you?

that cut look kinda familiar?

Salyers
08-22-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm 6'1" and about 185#. My Favorite board is my new Inland Surfer Fly Boy. Followed closely by my Sweet Spot pro. UPS just delivered a new to me IS Keenan Flegel yesterday but have yet to test it out.

I have a Triple X skim board that I also enjoy riding but it's the 58" version and I should have gone shorter, but it's a solidly built board. Wife ran it over with her 4runner last year and only had a small crack that I repaired. I think all my other boards would have been toast.

The wife's favorite ride was a Shapiro VStar. But now she only rides the Fly Boy!

wolfeman131
08-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Salyers, we need to work out a board exchange program! We're buying the same things and could save some coin!

The KF is a fun board, but you may not want to get it wet and instead go with a Contagious based on your size.

Salyers
08-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I'm on the larger size for the board, but my Triathlon training is just kicking into high gear so by Oct. I plan to be around 170-175. Just stepped on the scales this am for the first time in 2 week and am down to 182.

I know the KF is not a cruising board. My IS sweet spot is the new cruising board. The KF seems to be designed to be worked/pumped a lot from watching the videos. I figure another 7-8# weight loss and that board will be perfect!

I am all for a board exchange program. Would love to try some phase 5 boards and some of the TWP boards. If not I'll just end up buying them.

Right Now I am in love with the Fly Boy. Got my first 360 on the second day of riding and am starting to get the fins out of the water on airs.

ag04blast
08-24-2012, 01:54 PM
We are a new board builder out of Texas testing out a new board. MANY more to come! Check out this video of our prototype!

http://youtu.be/bvcOu53KlbI

Awesome! You guys looking for any rider reviewers out there to try out some demo boards????

E4NASH
08-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Awesome! You guys looking for any rider reviewers out there to try out some demo boards????

Dibs on the Georgia Market!!

Brianinpdx
08-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Wolfe - thats the exact thing i was thinking. They on the Trinity. Where where just right there.. lol. I was also looking for gators in that video haha! board looks nice. Specs?

-Brian

Doomswell
08-25-2012, 12:05 AM

Actually Yes. We have had A LOT of inquiries about testing out our new products. We are really excited to let everyone ride them. We have some in the shop right now waiting to hit the water. I'm taking 3 out next week to test with some solid riders. Where are you located?

superfet
08-25-2012, 04:37 AM
I´m 6,4" and 202. I ride an Inland Surfer Sweet spot. I really like the board but it has a tendency to sink the nose. I Cando 360 and some air and grab, recover far back from the pocket, now I am trying to learn the indesicion and 720. I would like to have a nose that does not sink as easy as my board does, otherwise it´s a nice board.

Doomswell
08-25-2012, 12:19 PM
I´m 6,4" and 202. I ride an Inland Surfer Sweet spot. I really like the board but it has a tendency to sink the nose. I Cando 360 and some air and grab, recover far back from the pocket, now I am trying to learn the indesicion and 720. I would like to have a nose that does not sink as easy as my board does, otherwise it´s a nice board.

What size is the board?

wolfeman131
08-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Sweet Spots are 4'8"

But, if he trying to pull a 720, he needs a skim vs surf. The only dude I've seen pull a 720 on a surf style board is Chase Hazen and that kid has talent that very few can match.

He may want to try a Black Pearl from IS.

ag04blast
08-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Actually Yes. We have had A LOT of inquiries about testing out our new products. We are really excited to let everyone ride them. We have some in the shop right now waiting to hit the water. I'm taking 3 out next week to test with some solid riders. Where are you located?

Just North of San Antonio. We ride in Canyon, Lake Travis, and Lake Austin mostly.

wolfeman131
08-25-2012, 02:58 PM
When you're on Austin, look for a MC w/ a super surfer girl on a pink board! Her name is Raleigh and she rides in the woman's pro surf division and has become a good friend to my daughters. Her parents are cool, too!

rca
08-25-2012, 03:31 PM
We are on Austin quite a bit too Drew. We'll watch out for her. Hopefully the carp start winning the hydrilla battle soon.

Doomswell
08-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Im actually going to be on Lake Travis in a few weeks with the guys from Shred Stixx. Maybe we could hook up and Ill let you test some boards.

wolfeman131
08-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Hopefully the carp start winning the hydrilla battle soon.

Clue me.in more on what you're talking about?

rca
08-25-2012, 09:32 PM
We have this invasive plant called hydrilla that has taken over about a third of Lake Austin, last I looked at least. It forms this mass of what sort of looks like seaweed that floats close to the surface in huge matts. The best thing they have found to combat it is asian grass carp, which feed on it. They've released a bunch of these fish into Lake Austin in an attempt to get control over the hydrilla.

The problem is the drought they are experiencing in central Texas. Lake Travis feeds Lake Austin, but because Travis is so low the temperature in Lake Austin is over 10 degrees warmer. That caused an explosion of hydrilla this and last year. It's a mess.

rdlangston13
08-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Im actually going to be on Lake Travis in a few weeks with the guys from Shred Stixx. Maybe we could hook up and Ill let you test some boards.

Man you should have joined the forum a month or two earlier! We just had the TX Moomba/Supra Jam and it would have been a great opportunity for you bring some boards up to sell and demo!

TL7
08-25-2012, 10:45 PM
So the hydrilla is still bad? Was really hoping it would be better by now. Heading up for the opener next weekend and debating whether or not to take the boat. Probably just skip it and ride Monday when we get back.

To get the thread back on track...we have 3 boards that we ride. We have a Props Pro, a Shred Stixx Thresher, and an Osia. Props and the Thresher are surf style, and the Osia is what I would consider a hybrid that leans more toward surf with the triple fin setup. It's a made in China board that is surprisingly fun.

rca
08-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Taft, I'd take the boat. We were in Lake Austin a month or so ago and there was still plenty of great water. When we got down toward the end of the Emma Long Park it started getting bad. Our favorite part is the section just past Ski Shores, around the bend, down to the end of Emma Long Park. Usually the smoothest water in that section.

We'll be on Canyon Lake all weekend for Labor Day.

Doomswell
08-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Man you should have joined the forum a month or two earlier! We just had the TX Moomba/Supra Jam and it would have been a great opportunity for you bring some boards up to sell and demo!

Yea that would have been great. We did an event last night showing off some of our boards. It went really well. We are doing another one in 2 weeks to demo some more product. Next time you're in Texas let me know. We will for sure hook up.

rdlangston13
08-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Yea that would have been great. We did an event last night showing off some of our boards. It went really well. We are doing another one in 2 weeks to demo some more product. Next time you're in Texas let me know. We will for sure hook up.

I live in Katy just west of Houston. When I am not at work I am always in Texas! I don't need to go home but anywhere in Texas will be fine!

moombadaze
08-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Hyperlite 5.6
Hyperlite 4.9
Lakewakes Pirate board

Doomswell
08-26-2012, 03:29 PM

This is a new shape we are testing next week. Thats just one in the hopper. There will prob be some video of how she does. Its a 4'5. It will have the Twinzer setup so Im sure she will be fast.

superfet
08-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Sweet Spots are 4'8"

But, if he trying to pull a 720, he needs a skim vs surf. The only dude I've seen pull a 720 on a surf style board is Chase Hazen and that kid has talent that very few can match.

He may want to try a Black Pearl from IS.

Damn, then I somehow must find some talent to pull that 720 off;) I have managed to get round but have difficulties in getting back into the pocket

jmvotto
08-26-2012, 10:45 PM
IS swallow
HL broadcast 5.6
Phase five Icon for the kids.

KRAK
08-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Ronix Koal 5'6" for the wife and I,
Phase Five Icon for the kids as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ag04blast
08-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Awesome, keep me in the loop and Ill see if I can get out and meet up.

Doomswell
08-27-2012, 08:54 AM
When is the next time you will be in town?

ag04blast
08-27-2012, 07:31 PM
When is the next time you will be in town?

We usually just go up on the weekends when we can get out to the lake. Possibly up that way over the holiday weekend.

ag04blast
08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
For speed and air it seems people are moving towards quad fins or double fins with the little mini fins. Is that where I should be looking for a faster board?

Right now I looking at moving towards a Shred Stixx Thresher or Piranha. Being 190-200lbs this seems to be good to go.

Doomswell
08-27-2012, 09:08 PM
For more drive down the line I would go with a Quad fin. If you are wanting more air and want some bite up the face accompanied by speed then def go with the Twinzer set up. Either or they are both fast. But if it is Just speed you are wanting go quad, for airs go Twinzer. Hope this helps. Also I use Surfscience a lot. They are a very good resource. Here is a link to the quad fin setup.

http://www.surfscience.com/topics/surfboard-fins/setups/quads-offer-speed-and-more

Also for a twin fin setup

http://www.surfscience.com/topics/surfboard-fins/setups/twin-fin

loudsubz
08-27-2012, 09:11 PM
I ride a Inland Surfer yellow loogy, looks like a hybrid skim/surf. Its very short so it takes alot of practice to keep it in the sweet spot if your a bit heavier. I love it though very agile.

Im gonna be getting a slightly bigger board next year with more fin configurations for spins etc this one is too sticky.

Hauss66
09-01-2012, 07:39 PM
We started surfing this year behind our 01 Outback DD, and it has been wicked awesome! We started with an Inland Surfer 6', then a 5'6" LF fish, and have settled in one the 5'3" LF fish. I'm 6'1"" 265 and this board allows me to ride and everyone on board, including kids. I really like the Liquid Force Fish

Doomswell
09-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Trying this one next week.

wolfeman131
09-10-2012, 12:26 AM
You plan on running 5, full size Futures?

Doomswell
09-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Heck no. Going to run it as a twin, thrusters and quad to see which works best.

wolfeman131
09-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Just checking.

FWIW - Keenan's new "Bird" board is a 5 fin setup. Its like a twin w/ 3 small fins in between, across the tail.

ga-lsv05
09-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Changed the fin on my p5 dd pro. Wow what a difference. Took some practice to keep the nose pointed in but after that it spins on a dime having trouble riding back out of the spin tho

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

wolfeman131
09-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Changed from what to what?

When you bring that thing to Sinclair so I can try and pull off a 360 and put berg & kane to shame?!?!

ga-lsv05
09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
It was supposed to come with a 1" fin apparently but they were out of stock when I ordered mine apparently and sent a 2" board rode great but you really had to work to get it to spin. Just rode with the correct 1" fin this weekend seemed impossibly loose at first but I adapted now its great. Just wish I had some more season left to practice with it. May be headed your way this weekend as westpoint has gotten so low, its dangerous to navigate

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

Doomswell
09-10-2012, 11:53 PM
And this bad boy.

reeder
07-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Tried surfing today for the first time and had all kinds of problems. Managed to get a pretty decent wake on the driver's side but neither me or my daughter could get even close to the pocket. The reason being is the board was so squirley that it was almost impossible to stay standing up on the thing, I wonder if I have the wrong board. It's a Ronix Koal Fish, not sure of the length, I forgot to look but I'm pretty sure it's a 5'-6". Three fins on the bottom that measure 2.9" tall, it's a really nice, light board but should it be that tough to stay on it? It was like trying to stand on a beach ball. Would there be a better board for extremely novice surfers? The wave seemed really steep but maybe a fairly short pocket as it is behind a 2008 OBV.

kaneboats
07-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Post up pics of the wave. Video of your surf attempts would be even better. You can get some solid help here and you'll be surfing like a pro on no time.

spyder
07-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Triple X Composite X 58"

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3711/9286790804_eafb498223_o.jpg

jsly04XLV
07-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Liquid force custom 4'2". Mine. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/30/ybagegud.jpg
Shapiro vstar- hers
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/30/amusu6up.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta