PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump needs replacement?

Canuckle Head
08-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Hi Guys,

I've had a couple of incidents with the boat in the past two days that I would appreciate some feedback from you guys. Two days ago I received a text from my wife that she was broken down on the lake. The boat would turn over but as soon as you gave it throttle it would bog out and sputter. There was really bad cellular coverage where she was and she was out in a part of the lake that there really wasn't anyone around to help her out. (boat full of kids and friends). So even through texting I wasn't really getting a clear picture as to what the problem was.

Apparently they started to paddle the boat back in the direction of home (better cell coverage too) and after about 30 minutes of this they decided to try the boat again. This time it fired up and ran with no problems back to the dock. Figuring that it was about 32 degrees that day and that they had been doing a lot of kneeboarding for a few hours prior to shutting down for a swim, I thought it was a simple case of vapour lock.

Yesterday morning I got in the boat and went for a burn around the lake with no problems so I was pretty confident that it was indeed vapour lock. That afternoon we did a bunch of tubing, kneeboarding and wake boarding with no incidents but last night while on a cruise it started sputtering or the engine felt like it was missfiring when I threw down the throttle. I was able to run it back to the dock but it was dark so I wasn't able to do any diagnosing.

Could it be that the fuel pump is starting to fail and needs to be replaced? Everything else appears to be normal in terms of temperature and oil pressure etc.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Wade

ga-lsv05
08-18-2012, 01:14 PM
I know its probably been said a thousand times but have you changed the fuel filter lately?

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

Canuckle Head
08-18-2012, 01:24 PM
No but will do that and see if it's the problem. I just ran her down the lake with no issue until I threw it WOT and then it started surging. Like it's starving for fuel. It doesn't seem to happen unless you are pushing it hard so a plugged fuel filter may be the culprit.

mmandley
08-18-2012, 01:35 PM
I agree with a filter issue, Fuel pumps tend to get noisy sounding but there kinda like Lithium batteries, they just all the sudden die on you.

Canuckle Head
08-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Noisy like a high pitched humming sound? Because I can definitely hear a high pitched humming sound coming from the engine compartment. Could it be that the pump is being starved for fuel by the filter?

I take it the fuel filter is located by the gas tank which is under my floor? I guess I need to remove the floor to get to it huh? Can you tell me what the model number is for the fuel filter so I can see if one of the local marine shops has one?

Thanks for your help guys, it is very much appreciated!

mmandley
08-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Noisy like a high pitched humming sound? Because I can definitely hear a high pitched humming sound coming from the engine compartment. Could it be that the pump is being starved for fuel by the filter?

I take it the fuel filter is located by the gas tank which is under my floor? I guess I need to remove the floor to get to it huh? Can you tell me what the model number is for the fuel filter so I can see if one of the local marine shops has one?

Thanks for your help guys, it is very much appreciated!

My filter is right in front of the rank and reachable threw the V drive. I didnt have to remove my floor. Just track the fuel line from the pump on back, it should be easy to spot, clyndrical silver type color peace on the fuel line

ga-lsv05
08-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Yep mine is under the v drive cover starboard side just behind the fuel tank

motosno963
08-18-2012, 09:51 PM
i dont know.. mine does the same every once and a while and i replaced my filer and pump and it still does it on the occasion..maybe i need to get the injectors cleaned out

Canuckle Head
08-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Changed the fuel filter and it did the trick. Thanks so much for your help guys! it was a bit of a beeeyatch to get at due to all of my ballast pump hoses being in the way but other than that it was a simple fix at $15.00. Boat runs perfect now.

Grant M
08-19-2012, 05:05 PM
After a period of use and we've shut the motor down for a bit, mine will sputter and cough when we fire it up again as well. I think it has been mentioned on here before that the fuel pump is vapour locking. This could be due to the increased use of Ethanol in the gas. I just pour cold water over the fuel pump and she fires right up again.
Something to try next time. :o)

bkearney
08-20-2012, 10:25 AM
I know its probably been said a thousand times but have you changed the fuel filter lately?

Ok.. stupid question.. where is the fuel filter? What does it look like?

ga-lsv05
08-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Silver colored cylinder smallish around 5 or 6 inches long mine is behind the fuel tank under the v drive cover on the starboard side