PDA

View Full Version : Question My Trailer Brake Is Locked.

jimmylsv
08-18-2012, 11:12 AM
I have a 2006 LSV, it came with the boatmate trailer, I live on lake so I have only used trailer maybe 4 times. One brake caliper has the brake pressure applied. I am trying to move trailer. Question is their any way to manually release the caliper. I know about the safety lanyard on trailer that applies brakes in emergency ,and I also know the trailer won't back up without the backup clip or trailer liters hooked up. Any help would be great.

mmandley
08-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Sounds like the caliper siezed, only way to release them is to remove the wheel, remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper on the rotor. Then you can take a hammer, hit the bottom side of the caliper up towards the fender, hit one side then the other. Shouldnt take a ton of force but this is how you would remove it.

Then use a flat screwdriver and pull the pads out of the caliper. You will need a new caliper, just remove the line and install a new caliper. You will then need to bleed the brakes, or have someone do it for you if you want them to work. If your trailering is short distance then i wouldnt worry about bleeding them.

jimmylsv
08-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the response. I can definitely handle that. I will remove caliper and bring to shop about a mile up the road.