PDA

View Full Version : fixing axle leak

rsinger
08-16-2012, 10:49 PM
There was a bad leak on the inner seal of the right hub, so I decided to get to it. I got the serial number off the axle and went on to the ufp website and sent them an email asking which bearings and seals I needed. I gave them the axle serial number and they sent me all the numbers along with links to maintaining the axle. So before I took anything apart I went and bought all the parts. Got everything apart and got ready for reassembly and found a problem.

Put the new bearings up against the new ones.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb397/rsingerwpg/oldandnew-1.jpg

Oops. I think there's something wrong.

Of course the number is worn off the outer bearing, but as luck would have it I could see the number in the race. They're both the same. Time for a trip back to the bearing supply store.

Luckily, a friend has a boatmate trailer one year newer than mine and he hardly uses it. I switched trailers before I started all this work. Sure looks weird a blue boat on a red trailer.

Been a long time since I got my hands greasy. Forgot what it's like.

rsinger
08-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Forgot. For the record, I'm thinking of ways to incorporate my Christmas lights into the hub, but I've got to find some long life brushes cause the hub keeps spinning. Hope you're happy Drew....

wolfeman131
08-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Heck, I was happy to read of the red and blue color combo. I figure you throw in a little white and you'd be living right!

rsinger
08-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Actually the boat is blue AND white. So I guess I am living right.

lewisb13
08-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Forgot. For the record, I'm thinking of ways to incorporate my Christmas lights into the hub, but I've got to find some long life brushes cause the hub keeps spinning. Hope you're happy Drew....

Get some bearings that have a tigher inner race tolerance. C3 fit or better. Heat them up and then slide on the shaft.