PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires

Moseley618
08-16-2012, 07:21 PM
One of my trailer tires has a giant chunk out of it and I think it is time to replace them. My question is what to get? Right now they are Goodyear Marathons. They do not get very good reviews. I went to price them and they are $500 for all four. The guy also tried to talk me into just putting car tires on instead of trailer tires. Any advice?

kaneboats
08-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Don't put car tires on. The sidewalls aren't as rigid as trailer tires. I buy cheap trailer tires cuz I know you throw them out long before they wear out anyway. They are all crap anyway.

bergermaister
08-17-2012, 10:36 AM
If you have a 4 Wheel Parts in your area give them a call. I priced some out last spring when getting tires for my truck, I believe they were Carlisle? brand, not great reviews, but not terrible either, and were $280 mounted/balanced out the door. Only trick was going to be backing the boat into their narrow shop entrance to get them put on.

kaneboats
08-17-2012, 10:47 AM
I always pull the wheels off and take them in myself.

NCSUmoomba
08-17-2012, 10:48 AM
I bought the Goodyear Marathons, and they are not wearing very well. I have heard good things about the Maxxis trailer tires.

maxpower220
08-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Just say no to car tires. They are not designed to handle the stress of a trailer, due to a different side wall build.

Unless you are towing often and consistantly, the tire will begin to fail before you wear it out. Check around on the internet for trailer tire sources and prices.

kaneboats
08-17-2012, 11:21 AM
I buy a lot of tires from tirerack.com. Discount tire has an ebay store with great deals. If I don't feel like mounting them myself I take them to Wallyworld to get mounted and balanced. It's cheap.

kaneboats
08-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Kind of hard to find the trailer page on tirerack.com so I searched and linked it below:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/trailer.jsp

mmandley
08-18-2012, 11:24 AM
IM going to be buying new tires next year but thats because mine are almost to the wear bars. Pretty happy i wore them out and not that they wore out LOL.

Yes you really need to stay with a Trailer tire.

Next time you follow a boat watch the suspension.
The tire is the primary suspension on the trailer. It acts as the Shock absorber, this is why its so imperrative you keep the right amount of tire pressure in the tire.

The tire will bounce and absorb all those large road variations, the axles are spring loaded to a point and help seady the trailer but the tires so most of the work.