PDA

View Full Version : 2002 LSV Running EXTREMELY Rich

McCann
08-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Just back back from an amazing week at Beaver Bend. When heading in the RPM was around 4500, It slowly began to lose power, oil pressure was falling from 40 to 20, I put the boat in neutral and pressure jumped back up. easied into the dock and had a lot of exhaust smoke. Checked oil level was good, Temp never got up, started it again to rough idle and more smoke. Pulled plugs they are black little oil on them but they all look the same. Motor sounds unhappy but no bottom end knock etc.. going to check compression etc.. but I am not sure what kind of Injection module the boat has? or what sensor may control the injectors??

ga-lsv05
08-18-2012, 09:19 AM
What color was the smoke? If it was a whitish blue color along with oil on the plugs and loss of power, I would say a ring issue. Certainly get back with those compression numbers

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

mmandley
08-18-2012, 11:16 AM
BAD O2 sensors will cause the boat to run super rich as well, they wont see the expected fuel in the exhaust and keep adding it thinking the engine is running lean.

Bad rings could be an issue but thats not something you would see so suddenly, and Rings have nothing to do with oil pressure.

Im thinking you have a bad control module or a bad O2 sensor. THe oil pressure will drop as the engine speed drops, not sure if thats what you noticed but at idle you will be around 30-50PSI and at 4K you should be 60-80PSI.

New Guy
08-18-2012, 12:07 PM
FYI put and actual oil pressure gauge in it to to check the one in the dash isn't very accurate at all.

ga-lsv05
08-18-2012, 12:20 PM
BAD O2 sensors will cause the boat to run super rich as well, they wont see the expected fuel in the exhaust and keep adding it thinking the engine is running lean.

Bad rings could be an issue but thats not something you would see so suddenly, and Rings have nothing to do with oil pressure.

Im thinking you have a bad control module or a bad O2 sensor. THe oil pressure will drop as the engine speed drops, not sure if thats what you noticed but at idle you will be around 30-50PSI and at 4K you should be 60-80PSI.

He is assuming it is running rich as I doubt he is running a wideband o2 with gauge or is watching live data on the narrow band o2s. Bad 02 would not explain oil on the plugs either. Loss of ignition will cause pooling of fuel in the cylinders and on the plugs as well. Could be something as simple as a tune up but we won't be able to tell that with such limited data and info

mmandley
08-18-2012, 01:33 PM
He is assuming it is running rich as I doubt he is running a wideband o2 with gauge or is watching live data on the narrow band o2s. Bad 02 would not explain oil on the plugs either. Loss of ignition will cause pooling of fuel in the cylinders and on the plugs as well. Could be something as simple as a tune up but we won't be able to tell that with such limited data and info

true sir :)

ga-lsv05
08-18-2012, 02:42 PM
I agree that a ring issue would be more of a gradual onset of smoke issues may have jumped the gun on that one :o